Nothern lights - all-sky camera

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Nothern lights - all-sky camera

Post by airis » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:36 pm

There were bright northern lights tonight. (Auroras were quite active 27.3.2003. The brightest ones appeared at 8 pm-9 pm CET.)

All-sky camera. http://www.sgo.fi/Data/asc_e.html

EDIT: Usually the best time to see something is at 8 pm to 12 am CET. Under the picture you can see collected data from that night. If you see colors, there has been auroras. (Blue - faintest ones, green and red -bright auroras)
Last edited by airis on Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

nodisch18
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nodisch18 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:50 pm

That has got to be a spectacular sight! I truly wish that one day i will see it with my own eyes! 8O

You're lucky that you can see it!!

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:36 pm

Yes, it is nice that auroras are quite common here. :) I was watching them outside. This show wasn´t the best one I've seen this winter.
It looked almost like this.

Here you can find other pictures of resent auroras. http://www.spaceweather.com/

BTW Meteorites seem to have crashed houses and cars near Chigago. Only small damages.Image
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/032703_ns_skyflash.html

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:48 pm

airis wrote:Yes, it is nice that auroras are quite common here. :)
It's very nice!!

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:14 pm

Very beautiful,

Once I saw Northern light in Norway, but it wasn't so beautiful as in Finland on the piucture this topic,

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis » Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:19 pm

Fons wrote:Very beautiful,
Once I saw Northern light in Norway, but it wasn't so beautiful as in Finland on the piucture this topic,
Real northern lights are usually less colourful and fainter than in pictures. Probably those auroras you saw were not very bright ones. Also full moon or city lights makes it harder to see them.

Last night there were auroras all night. It seems that there was a minor (G1) geomagnetic storm on March 28th and 29th. Sometimes there can be problemswhen the geomagnetic storm is very strong.

BTW Olivier, it is possible to see auroras in Quebec too. But probably there is too much light pollution in a big city like Montreal.
Aurora forecast

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:42 pm

airis wrote: Real northern lights are usually less colourful and fainter than in pictures. Probably those auroras you saw were not very bright ones. Also full moon or city lights makes it harder to see them.

I saw Northern Light in Elgå, Norway, it's a very very small town with LESS than 100 inhabitants, I think somewhere around 80
It's also very close to the Swedish border (2km.)
(it's just a very small sign on the side of the road was you're entering Sweden.
We have some friends living in Elgå.

There was not single city around that place, the northern light was a bit white.
But still beautiful!.

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:36 am

Fons wrote:
I saw Northern Light in Elgå, Norway, it's a very very small town with LESS than 100 inhabitants, I think somewhere around 80
It's also very close to the Swedish border (2km.)
(it's just a very small sign on the side of the road was you're entering Sweden.
We have some friends living in Elgå.

There was not single city around that place, the northern light was a bit white.
But still beautiful!.
So there were no light pollution. :) Looking from a map, I´ll estimate that in Elgå there are auroras every 15th night, in Rovaniemi every 3rd night. In Rovaniemi there are quite a lot light pollution (50 000 people live in Rovaniemi area). Off course in summer you can´t see auroras because of the midnight sun.

This aurora picture is very good. (11th of September 2002)
The aurora feels very natural in this photo - exactly what the jury is looking for in a winner of the year. Should you go outdoors one night and glance at the skies, this is what you will see. The lights do not suffer from overexposure or false colours. It's the real thing.
More pictures
Last edited by airis on Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:16 pm

airis wrote: This aurora picture is very good. (11th of September 2002)
The aurora feels very natural in this photo - exactly what the jury is looking for in a winner of the year. Should you go outdoors one night and glance at the skies, this is what you will see. The lights do not suffer from overexposure or false colours. It's the real thing.
More pictures

WOW,

I want to see a Northern Light like that!

I've heard that there was a long time ago Northern Light to see in GREECE !! 8O 8O

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:59 pm

Fons wrote: I've heard that there was a long time ago Northern Light to see in GREECE !! 8O 8O
Yes it is possible, but according to this site they are very rare.
On average, the Northern Lights can be seen in northernmost Lapland 200 nights a year; at the latitude of Kemi (and Rovaniemi), you can peer at them on 100 nights a year, and even in Helsinki on 20 nights. In Central Europe, the Northern Lights appear about once a year, and in the Mediterranean region, about once every ten years.
But like one photographer wrote, probably people won´t see them because they are watching television. :roll:

wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:14 pm

That picture is really beautifull! Sometimes it is said something like that could also happen in the netherlands but most of the time it is cloudy then or in the middle of the night. I hope I will see it in real one day. 8)
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:51 am

wouter wrote:That picture is really beautifull! Sometimes it is said something like that could also happen in the netherlands but most of the time it is cloudy then or in the middle of the night. I hope I will see it in real one day. 8)
I hope you will see them. Image

Northern lights above Rovaniemi: http://djoye.chez.tiscali.fr/Aurore-19-01-2002_eng.html

Auroras exactly above (corona), March 28th 2003.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”