Scorecard of evil - Dictatorship in the making

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti »

Skylimit wrote:No other country spends so much money on "defence" ...
The USSR used to do the same, now they are bankrupt ... I think the USA must follow ...
I read somewhere that the US military budget is as big as the military budgets of 12 following countries. That is a lot.
And about following the USSR, that's what the axis of evil is all about. The Bush administration is full of bellicists, who want to kep the superpower position. Keeping the position takes up huge sums (I can't give any numbers though) and the only way to make ordinary Americans accept their taxdollars being spent on the Army is to convince them there still are real threats to american security
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

Here is a bewildering aspect of 21st century wars and demographic data. Unfortunately it is in German and I could not find an English translation - sorry folks.
http://www.welt.de/data/2003/04/05/65429.html
The author argues that many countries in the third world have lots of young men who are in the age for being soldiers. These young men will either find a satisfying position in their societies or they will not be needed and consequently become fighters. He claims that 60 out of 70 countries with surplus young men are already involved in civil wars. There are also approximately 10 countries which are planning to erect regional empires. Building up a regional empire would channel the angry young men's violence which otherwise would result in high crime rates and/or civil wars.
Many of these countries with surplus men are islamic. Muslims have increased from 150 millions in 1900 to 1200 millions in 2000. The high birth rates create millions of angry young men, like in Palestine or in Algeria.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Antti wrote:
Skylimit wrote:No other country spends so much money on "defence" ...
The USSR used to do the same, now they are bankrupt ... I think the USA must follow ...
I read somewhere that the US military budget is as big as the military budgets of 12 following countries. That is a lot.
And about following the USSR, that's what the axis of evil is all about. The Bush administration is full of bellicists, who want to kep the superpower position. Keeping the position takes up huge sums (I can't give any numbers though) and the only way to make ordinary Americans accept their taxdollars being spent on the Army is to convince them there still are real threats to american security
I agree with that.

It's dramatic because the economy in North America is in a very bad situation. The focus is on the war, but the unemployment is rising, the airplane companies all fall down (United Airlines, American Airlines, US Air, Air Canada...) :(

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”