Human cloning

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

Human cloning - good or bad?

Good
4%
Hell no! kids should be made the traditional way only
39%
Good for scientific research
39%
Good, when it will be made safe
13%
Hey, it's only sci-fi!
4%
Cloning? is that a trendy new dish or what?
No votes

Total votes: 23

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Human cloning

Post by Antti » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:56 pm

Don't know why I'm bringing this up, I just wanted to start a discussion, something not connected with Iraq. As fascinating it is and seems to be to discuss the war I wanted to have something else as well.
So tell us what you think of human cloning

K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by K3lvin » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:19 pm

Good for scientific research, there is really no reason to clone humans as a way to reproduce. It would be nice if they could clone separate organs from your own stem cells. As a diabetic, I could use a working pancreas :wink:

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:42 pm

Hm, this is difficult. Today, cloning doesn't work well, and clones usually suffer from diseases and die early, so cloning of humans (and animals) is morally inappropriate and should not be allowed. On the other hand, monozygotic twins (I had to look up this word) can be considered as natural clones. Therefore if human cloning would really work I would say why shouldn't some people be cloned from time to time. But that would also mean that it is possible to create thousands of clones of the same person. That doesn't sound comfortable to me (but depends on who it is ;)). We probably don't want to have masses of Saddams or George Ws :(. And certainly it's better for the kids to be a result of love than a product of a machine.

K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by K3lvin » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:51 pm

micro wrote: On the other hand, monozygotic twins (I had to look up this word)
Is it same as identical twins?
micro wrote: can be considered as natural clones. Therefore if human cloning would really work I would say why shouldn't some people be cloned from time to time. But that would also mean that it is possible to create thousands of clones of the same person.
Reminds me of this certain movie :wink:
Image Image

Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Sneakster » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:45 pm

I would say man should not interfere with Gods creation, not that I am very religious by the way. I can go along with scientific experiments on plants or vegetables, but humans?? Too much sci-fi in my opinion.
On the other hand, if there were two of me, maybe I could enter twice as much notes on EBT :wink:

Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Skylimit » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:34 pm

Gattica
Time is on our side ...

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:56 pm

They mustn't cole kids,
If I was cloned, I won't like it

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:15 pm

It's a very difficult subject.

First, I am against clonage because it is very disturbing to create life in a bottle... moreover if it's a copy of somebody.

But, on the other hand, the therapeutic clonage could help people suffering from a lots of diseases...

I need more informations about that.

I just agree with Fons. I wouldn't like to learn I am "just a clone". The psychological consequences could be terrible for these people...

Hard question...

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:47 pm

K3lvin wrote:
micro wrote: On the other hand, monozygotic twins (I had to look up this word)
Is it same as identical twins?
According to my dict it's the same, yes.
K3lvin wrote: Reminds me of this certain movie :wink:
Star Wars?

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Star wars....

Post by Fons » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:57 pm

K3lvin wrote: Reminds me of this certain movie :wink:
micro wrote:
Star Wars?
Star wars: Image Image

Or ain't it star wars? :?
Last edited by Fons on Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:57 pm

Olivier wrote:I just agree with Fons. I wouldn't like to learn I am "just a clone". The psychological consequences could be terrible for these people...
I'm not sure about that. Identical twins usually understand each other extremely well, and so would clones.

What concerns me much more is that it would just be a matter of money to reproduce people. The technique (once it is mature) could be misused by some evil people to create more evil people.

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:02 pm

micro wrote:
Olivier wrote:I just agree with Fons. I wouldn't like to learn I am "just a clone". The psychological consequences could be terrible for these people...
I'm not sure about that. Identical twins usually understand each other extremely well, and so would clones.

What concerns me much more is that it would just be a matter of money to reproduce people. The technique (once it is mature) could be misused by some evil people to create more evil people.
Clones aren't from the same age (or are they...?)
But if they aren't from the same age than would the youngest one think later what the other one thought some time ago. (I hope it's clear this way, I can't really explain it)

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:04 pm

micro wrote:

Imagine the insults on the schoolgrounds... "you, CLONE!!" :lol:

The problem is on the definition of a clone. Is it a "non synchron" twin... a copy? What would happen if I decide to clone one of my child... and have 20 clones?

What would happen in sects like Rael, and its ClonAid company... ?

O.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:20 pm

Fons wrote:Clones aren't from the same age (or are they...?)
But if they aren't from the same age than would the youngest one think later what the other one thought some time ago. (I hope it's clear this way, I can't really explain it)
Yes, so the difference between identical twins and clones is
- clones can be of very different age
- there can be zillions of identical clones

But I don't think they think the same because every human's thoughts and feelings are not only a result of the genes but also of experience and education.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:22 pm

Olivier wrote:Imagine the insults on the schoolgrounds... "you, CLONE!!" :lol:

The problem is on the definition of a clone. Is it a "non synchron" twin... a copy? What would happen if I decide to clone one of my child... and have 20 clones?

What would happen in sects like Rael, and its ClonAid company... ?

O.
You got me, Olivier! What is a a "non synchron" twin, what is Rael, and what is ClonAid?

EDIT:
But this is a good point: the insults on the schoolgrounds... "you, CLONE!!" - The prospect of this and other embarrassments will keep people from thoughtlessly cloning their children!

Actually I don't want to commit myself to say cloning is good or bad, so I voted "Hey, it's only sci-fi!". Maybe it's just a new technique with its good and evil side as any other new technique. After some years of getting used to it, humankind will have eliminated most of the evilness. No one wants copies of people! Maybe in rare cases, when parents lost their child in a car accident, they would "order a clone"? I don't know if this is good or not. Maybe that's okay. At least the schoolmates of that child wouldn't notice it...

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”