Space...

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Do you say... ?

Spationaute
No votes
Astronaute
82%
Cosmonaute
12%
Internaute ;-)
6%

Total votes: 49

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Space...

Post by Olivier »

I just wonder which word you prefer, as the European Union has decided to "boost" its schedule to launch a robot on Planet Mars. :-)
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Space...

Post by Fons »

I always say Astronate, I think most people do that.
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

First of all, the meaning of the relevant terms:

"Astro" (celestial body, ie, planets, stars, comets, etc.) + "Naut" (sailor at its origin - latin, i think, but i'm not sure - , but in modern times, it has come to mean "the one who explores").
Therefore, astronauts are people who explore the planets and other celestial bodies (only the moon so far, but we never know ;))

"Cosmo" + "naut" -> someone who explores the cosmos

"Space" + "naut" -> it's not really very common to mix an erudit prefix with modern words, but I guess it means the same as cosmonaut...

Internaut -> me! ;)

If we talk about people, the only real Astronauts that ever were, were the men who stepped on the moon (all others - including people at the ISS, are Cosmonauts). Of course, the robot would be an Astronaut -> since it would be exploring an "Astro".
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem »

I think they all are just imitators of aliens. So they should be called imitaliens. :?
Last track:.31-07-2007.:
Fireball
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Fireball »

The russians use cosmonaut and the europians use austronaut
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

BogPoet wrote:"Astro" (celestial body, ie, planets, stars, comets, etc.) + "Naut" (sailor at its origin - latin, i think, but i'm not sure - , but in modern times, it has come to mean "the one who explores").
Therefore, astronauts are people who explore the planets and other celestial bodies (only the moon so far, but we never know ;))
I would tend to say that the latin word "astrum" is just star (asterisk), and astronomy being the science of the stars. Therefore the word "astronaut" would be nonsense because astronauts do not sail to the stars and probably will never do so, at least not in the near future. But maybe the meaning of "astro" has somehow been extended to planets and moons. :?
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

micro wrote:
BogPoet wrote:"Astro" (celestial body, ie, planets, stars, comets, etc.) + "Naut" (sailor at its origin - latin, i think, but i'm not sure - , but in modern times, it has come to mean "the one who explores").
I would tend to say that the latin word "astrum" is just star (asterisk), and astronomy being the science of the stars. Therefore the word "astronaut" would be nonsense because astronauts do not sail to the stars and probably will never do so, at least not in the near future. But maybe the meaning of "astro" has somehow been extended to planets and moons. :?
Hmm... It's possible that I have been influenced by my native Portuguese. In Portuguese, the word "Astro" means any celestial body - stars, planets, comets, whatever. So, in Portuguese, "Earth is an 'Astro', Sun is an 'Astro' and the Halley Comet is an 'Astro'". Actually, when writing this post, I found out there's no equivalent English word. 'Astro' in pt also means 'star', but in a different context, for example in the phrase, 'Julia Roberts is a movie star' (A Julia Roberts é um astro do cinema).
And if you come to think of it, astronomy doesn't deal only with stars 8)
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

pieter caluwaerts wrote:The russians use cosmonaut and the europians use austronaut
The French say Spationautes... :-)
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti »

Olivier wrote:
pieter caluwaerts wrote:The russians use cosmonaut and the europians use austronaut
:?: Do you (or they) use it for both russian and american, afaik there aren't many French space-travellers. And aren't astronauts american?

PS Where is taikonaut (chinese space explorer)? the first taikonauts should take off in the near future
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter »

I like the name Cosmonaute or Kosmonaut best. The russians have a great space industrie and in the time I was interested in it most of the news regarding space was about the Mir and its Cosmonautes.
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:
:?: Do you (or they) use it for both russian and american, afaik there aren't many French space-travellers. And aren't astronauts american?

PS Where is taikonaut (chinese space explorer)? the first taikonauts should take off in the near future
Personnaly, I prefer Cosmonaute, which sounds a bit old fashioned. It reminds of the times with Youri Gagarine... :)
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

BogPoet wrote:
micro wrote:
Hmm... It's possible that I have been influenced by my native Portuguese. In Portuguese, the word "Astro" means any celestial body - stars, planets, comets, whatever. So, in Portuguese, "Earth is an 'Astro', Sun is an 'Astro' and the Halley Comet is an 'Astro'". Actually, when writing this post, I found out there's no equivalent English word. 'Astro' in pt also means 'star', but in a different context, for example in the phrase, 'Julia Roberts is a movie star' (A Julia Roberts é um astro do cinema).
And if you come to think of it, astronomy doesn't deal only with stars 8)
So NASA or whoever created the word "astronaut" has probably taken into account the wider range of meanings "astro" has, like in the Portuguese language! :idea:
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Somewhat related to this poll, there's some kind of a space shooting game on SubTV (Finnish cable TV channel) where TV viewers can send an SMS with their mobile phone to control the game. The players can register themselves as astronauts or cosmonauts, and there are U.S. and Russian flags next to those team names, respectively.

I myself prefer the word astronaut.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

What about "Emptynaut"? They're exploring the emptiness, anyway :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Tigas
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Tigas »

Astronaut!
Consultem:
www.travian.com (Browser based MMOG)

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=9hp85ku5 (King of Chaos)

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”