Löwenbräu, Heineken, Lapin Kulta & Co: What is your beer

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Craft, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p

User avatar
minna_fi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 544
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Joensuu, Finland
Contact:

Post by minna_fi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Asiamaniac wrote:Maybe, add "cheers" in your language. In German, we say "Prost". (Originates from Latin "pro sit", which means "be it good".
tapas.fischergrube.de wrote: Sieben Möglichkeiten auf finnisch Alkohol zu trinken.
Prost:
Kippis!

Hölökynkölökyn!

Skool!

Zum Wohl:
Terveydeksi!

Maljanne!
Maljasi!

Auf Ex:
Pohjanmaan kautta!
Last edited by minna_fi on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Helge
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:33 pm
Location: Ruhrpott, Germany

Post by Helge » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:09 pm

My favorite Beer is König Pils!
We call it "Köpi"

Prost Image

Image

User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Post by BogPoet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:10 am

Aaron wrote:
BogPoet wrote:Super Bock is my favorite (specially the Stout - black beer - variety)
Super Bock is good beer indeed! :) I drank a lot of Super Bock in Portugal.
Glad to know you liked our beer :) Have you tried Sagres? (not as good, but also enjoyable)
Aaron wrote:
BogPoet wrote:and I appreciate Erdinger A LOT, but I also occasionally drink Heineken, Carlsberg, Corona and Budweiser.
There is only one and only real Budweiser that is brewed in city of Budweis since the 13th century:
(img)
Don't buy bad copies!!! :twisted:
I was speaking about the American Budweiser, of course, but this reminds me the last time I bought one.
Me and a friend were making last-minute shopping (60 - 70% of which had alcoholic content :P)before we went camping to Ilha de Tavira, and we saw the Czech Bud next to the American one. We laughed to ourselves - "what a cheap imitation". When we described the whole incident to the Czech girlfriend of one of our camping mates, she got completely mad at us and refused every one of our pacification attempts - which, in one case, and to complete the diplomatic disaster, included an offer of an American Bud (thankfully, it was my friend, not me).

So, that's how I came to know the original Bud - the hard way.

PS - In Portugal, we say "À nossa", which can be loosely translated as "To us".
Tracking (again) Image

User avatar
bura
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:07 pm
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

Post by bura » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:36 am

Dakkus wrote:The most important thing: There is no brewery that brews beer in Finland. There are a few that claim to do that, but believe me, the stuff they make is not beer.
The worst one of the Finnish beers is actually mentioned in the topic of this thread. Lapin Kulta ("The Gold of Lapland" or "Lapland's gold") is often referred to as "Lapin Kusta", "kusi" meaning pee and "kusta" being a partitive form of that word.
Karhu is the most drinkable of the Finnish beers, but still I always try to stick to foreign beers. As long as they're not Swedish (have you people ever tried Kopparberg's peach beer? Don't.), one can trust they are better than the Finnish ones.
There are nowadays brewers that really brews beer. All most selling beers are brewed with sugar, that's why those aren't tasting at all. These beers are lapin kulta, koff, karhu, olvi etc.

Those brewers are luckily started brew real beer too, which are brewed with only malt sugar, no added sugar. These are hartwall classic, legenda etc.

I like most legenda because it really tastes beer, not water like karhu :)

A Le Cog beer, which i brought from estonia, is good too. That's very tasty beer, even comparing to saku. Dakkus, you should try that too.

-bura

User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:54 am

bura wrote: A Le Cog beer, which i brought from estonia, is good too. That's very tasty beer, even comparing to saku. Dakkus, you should try that too.

-bura
I one drank a very lightly coloured A Le Coq in Suomenlinna and liked it pretty much. However, they haven't started selling that stuff with Finnish prices quite yet. I think I will buy a few hundred cans of that stuff when I go to Tallinn the next time ;)
asiamaniac wrote:Do you also know what a so-called "dirty-beer" is? Well, pour some Coke in the glass, pour the beer over it and see how the foam is going to change its colour. The more disgusting it looks, so much the better. And it can be extremely disgusting-looking...
This is actually the worst thing in Germany. In certain German regions they always keep mixing their good beer with some Coca Cola company crap. Luckily our Praguean host had told us to avoid drinking those, so we almost managed to avoid them.
In a German Getränkemarkt (those are scary) you can see many kinds of mixing. Beer with coke, beer with jaffa, beer with sprite, beer with this and that.
In Harz I was asked if I wanted to drink stuff that was in a standard German beer bottle. I said I would love to drink that. Then, when I got it to my hands and took the first sip, I found out the terrible truth: The stuff was 50% beer and 50% sprite. Imagine the taste.
I drank it as fast as I could to avoid tasting its taste. When I was ready, I was happy. Then I looked elsewhere for several seconds. When I looked on the table again, I saw a new bottle of that sick joke in front of me. Opened.

If a country has as good beer as Germany does, why on earth do they have to destroy it?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

User avatar
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Hämeenlinna / Finland

Post by Aaron » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:33 pm

BogPoet wrote:Me and a friend were making last-minute shopping (60 - 70% of which had alcoholic content :P)before we went camping to Ilha de Tavira, and we saw the Czech Bud next to the American one. We laughed to ourselves - "what a cheap imitation". When we described the whole incident to the Czech girlfriend of one of our camping mates, she got completely mad at us and refused every one of our pacification attempts - which, in one case, and to complete the diplomatic disaster, included an offer of an American Bud (thankfully, it was my friend, not me).

So, that's how I came to know the original Bud - the hard way.
I think that was about the worst offence you could say to a Czech person. 8O

The fight about the trade mark is actually world famous. Here is the Czech version about it. It is quite interesting.

http://www.budweiser.cz/budvar/budvar-w ... mka_en.cms
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.

User avatar
hoppa
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Oud-Heverlee (just beside Leuven) Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoppa » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:34 pm

Asiamaniac wrote: Do you also know what a so-called "dirty-beer" is? Well, pour some Coke in the glass, pour the beer over it and see how the foam is going to change its colour. The more disgusting it looks, so much the better. And it can be extremely disgusting-looking...
In Belgium it is also done: beer with cola is called a TANGO, Some people, mainly in the province Limburg mix beer with white lemonade but I can't remenber what they call it. I don't know if you know the brown beer with only a bit alcohol and a very sweet taste, in Belgium we call it tafelbier(tablebeer). A lot of people mix this with the pils and then it's called Half/half. It used to be drunk by a lot of people and had the advantage that you could drink a lot more without getting drunk but I think the yought nowadays prefer other things.
it is better not to say anything and let people doubt if you're stupid; then to speak and take the doubt away. - Mark Twain

User avatar
aplfi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:19 pm
Location: Nokia/Finland

Post by aplfi » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:53 pm

Helge wrote:My favorite Beer is König Pils!
We call it "Köpi"

Prost Image

Image
I just had one König Pils in a bar here in Tampere. Unfortunately it didn't taste the same as in Germany. I think it was old. :?

User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4264
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Post by bhoeyb » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:40 pm

hoppa wrote:In Belgium it is also done: beer with cola is called a TANGO
We call beer with cola: mazout, beer with mineral water: spavella, beer with white lemonade: kivella and a Duvel with grape fruit juice: pompeldoefke ... and I also live in Belgium ... :lol:.

Now, I'll go and watch a DVD and drink a Duvel 8) .

User avatar
Helge
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:33 pm
Location: Ruhrpott, Germany

Post by Helge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:51 pm

aplfi wrote:
I just had one König Pils in a bar here in Tampere. Unfortunately it didn't taste the same as in Germany. I think it was old. :?
mmh, that was bad :?
Come in the next year back to germany to drink one with me :D

User avatar
KARR
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Le Pecq
Contact:

Post by KARR » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:15 am


KARR and his wife like beer "trappiste" and particulary "rochefort beer"

User avatar
francky
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:13 pm
Location: Marly la ville -Europa
Contact:

Post by francky » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 pm

I like :
Image
Specially the White :P
Francky [fr][en :?: ]

User avatar
haemoglobin
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:26 pm
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by haemoglobin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:08 am

how boring i am....... :D

i don`t like alcohol drinks and have NEVER tasted one......
i prefer coke, milk, orange juice, tea, coffee, ..........

User avatar
Fundamental
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:57 am
Location: Tampere, Finland
Contact:

Post by Fundamental » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:10 am

haemoglobin wrote:how boring i am....... :D

i don`t like alcohol drinks and have NEVER tasted one......
i prefer coke, milk, orange juice, tea, coffee, ..........
Just like me but I don't drink coffee either :D I have thou tasted some alcohol but never been drunk..

User avatar
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Mechelen (Flanders,Belgium)
Contact:

Post by !Pretfles! » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:50 am

bhoeyb wrote:
hoppa wrote:In Belgium it is also done: beer with cola is called a TANGO
We call beer with cola: mazout, beer with mineral water: spavella, beer with white lemonade: kivella and a Duvel with grape fruit juice: pompeldoefke ... and I also live in Belgium ... :lol:.

Now, I'll go and watch a DVD and drink a Duvel 8) .
a tango is beer with lemonade or grenadine
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
('.)_('.) webpage to help him gain world domination.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”