Which is the best airport in the world?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Which is the best international airport in the world?

Hong Kong International- Chek Lap Kok
7%
Singapore- Changi
11%
Kuala Lumpur International
6%
Paris- Charles de Gaulle
2%
London- Heathrow
7%
Frankfurt International
8%
New York- John F. Kennedy
No votes
San Francisco International
1%
Toronto- Lester B. Pearson
1%
Other
56%

Total votes: 84

eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Which is the best airport in the world?

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

Please, if you are a interenational traveller, please vote here for the world's best international airport, it would be interesting to see what people here think. Also, if you selected other, please say where and why. I think Hong Kong is good, since it is very new, it has numerous facilities, large check-in areas, very atmpspheric and modern-age from its glass architecture, its efficient security, customs and immigration personnel.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Which is the best airport in the world?

Post by Olivier »

I don't like Paris-CDG, neither New York... these airports are too crowded, the buildings has got too old. The transfers in NY can just be nightmares!! -> immigration + customs can easily make you lose your transfer (they don't mind).

I like Bruxelles-Zaventem and Copenhagen Airport. Montreal-Trudeau, Chicago O'Hare, Toronto Pearson are OK.
Madrid's airport is nice.

The worst for me is definitly: Kennedy Airport (NY). All my friends flying there prefer Newark.
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Yes, the customs in the US don't give a **** about if you make your connection, 2 hours is not enough for a transfer if you're arriving from Europe or Asia. I flew to Hong Kong sometime after 9/11 from Toronto thru Chicago, clearing Chicago is horrible, as I waited 2 hours for immigration and 1/2 hour for baggage, then I have to re-check it to Toronto. I missed my connection by 5 minutes, and waited 24 hours to get on the next plane, no compenation, nothing, I was even blamed for this.
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Re: Which is the best airport in the world?

Olivier wrote:I don't like Paris-CDG, neither New York... these airports are too crowded, the buildings has got too old. The transfers in NY can just be nightmares!! -> immigration + customs can easily make you lose your transfer (they don't mind).

I like Bruxelles-Zaventem and Copenhagen Airport. Montreal-Trudeau, Chicago O'Hare, Toronto Pearson are OK.
Madrid's airport is nice.

The worst for me is definitly: Kennedy Airport (NY). All my friends flying there prefer Newark.
I don't like Chicago or Montreal. Brussels and Copenhagen are nice however.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Fundamental
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fundamental »

avij wrote:I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
That is true! I have read that the Helsinki airport has won the competition several times.. I'm not sure..
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

I just LOVE our local Turku airport! :) There is just one terminal - you can't get lost there. It is an international airport but the only foreign destinations are Stockholm and Copenhagen.

I have experience only about the following international airports:

Turku
Vaasa
Helsinki
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Hamburg
Frankfurt a.M.
Madrid
Vigo (I'm not sure if it is international)
Porto
Vienna
Budapest
Prague
Manchester
Dublin
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.
Venga
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Venga »

What about Schiphol Amsterdam? :wink:
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Fundamental wrote:
avij wrote:I remember reading a newspaper article some years ago that our local Helsinki-Vantaa airport was ranked pretty high in a similar poll. I think that reward was warranted, but I might be a bit biased.. Brussels Zaventem airport is also nice, pleasant spacious design and all.
That is true! I have read that the Helsinki airport has won the competition several times.. I'm not sure..
Yes, the Helsinki-Vantaa airport is officially the best airport on the planet.
Although I'd say I kinda liked the München airport more. Helsinki-Vantaa doesn't have any land connections out from there. And it looks awful. And the check-in is so small it makes me feel almost claustrophobic (no, I don't have claustrophobia). From München airport it was very easy taking the S-Bahn to Ostbahnhof. Although it does cost quite a bit. Some 8€ for an adult and some 4€ for students if they take the stripes ticket. Helsinki-Vantaa to Helsinki is 3€ for adults and 1,5€ for those under 17-year-old (and for the students studying around Helsinki).
Malaga airport is huge and empty. Kinda scary. While I hate Helsinki-Vantaa for the small size, I hate this one because it's absolutely too huge.
The fourth airport I've been to is the Weelze airport (also known as Niederrhein near Düsseldorf). It's just a big room where the speakers speak only German and the sound is very dizzy and almost ununderstandable. That's the one I hate the most.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Speukes
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Speukes »

I'm not a frequent traveller, but I can confirm that JFK New York is the worst :) not enough signs inside the terminal.

Zaventem-Brussels and Stansted-London are my favourites.
CCCP
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by CCCP »

helsinki-vantaa airport :D
N0W1K
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by N0W1K »

I don't like JFK - NY airport, it's too old

I like two Spanish airports :P :roll:

Madrid Barajas
Barcelona El Prat (I preffer this one)

airports in London and Paris are OK
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

London Stansted.

Why would Vantaa be so good? It has only bus connections, it hasn't got that many big airlines and it is far north. I've never understood that.
DrGreenTom
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by DrGreenTom »

from the smaller airports, my favorite one is Joensuu.
Nobody complains if you arrive five minutes before the plain leaves.
Liever 10 vogels in de lucht dan 1 die mijn terras volschijt
Fundamental
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fundamental »

Osku-82 wrote:London Stansted.
I just hate that airport! There way too less places to sit! I had to spent two nights in Stansted airport and that was a hell!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”