World Famous Lyrics

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

Post Reply

What lyrics were performed as a duet with a famous rock band

The papers want to know who's shirts you wear
0
No votes
Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow
1
7%
He coughs as he passes her Ford Mustang
0
No votes
Transition Transmission
1
7%
Electric Blue is the colour of my room
2
13%
I'm stuck with a valuable friend
0
No votes
It's the terror of knowing what this world is about
5
33%
If you say run, I'll run with you
1
7%
I feel tragic like I'm Marlon Brando
3
20%
It doesn't matter what you wear
2
13%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

World Famous Lyrics

Post by Skylimit » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:40 pm

We are looking for a number of things in this poll.

All lyrics are from the same artist, two are actually famous duets.

1) Main question : Which duet was performed with another famous rock band.
2) Who is the artist who sang all these lyrics ?
3) Do you also know the title of the songs ?
4) Who's gonna take Sneakster in speed on this one ?
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU

Re: World Famous Lyrics

Post by pinguino79 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:43 pm

Skylimit wrote:We are looking for a number of things in this poll.

All lyrics are from the same artist, two are actually famous duets.

1) Main question : Which duet was performed with another famous rock band.
2) Who is the artist who sang all these lyrics ?
3) Do you also know the title of the songs ?
4) Who's gonna take Sneakster in speed on this one ?
I see a sentence taken from Under pressure by Queen and David Bowie, so I answered the question 2 and 1, plus question 3 partially (actually very partially). :)
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:15 pm

Pinguino,

The main question is hereby correctly answered
The second in fact too, provided you thought all songs are from Bowie (and not from Queen)

And the third has been answered for 1/10 ... don't let Sneakster catch you
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Famous lyrics

Post by Sneakster » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:42 pm

Hey, hey now, Skylimit, don't overestimate me! This was a very tough one, and I'm no music database. It took me quite a while, looking in all secluded sections of my memory. David Bowie was obvious, but all these songs?? But I think I managed, except for one (#6)
Main question: # 7 = Under pressure duet with Queen
Performing artist of all these songs: David Bowie
Titles:
1.Lyrics from:Space Oddity
2.Lyrics from:Life on Mars?
3.Lyrics from:Young Americans
4.Lyrics from:TV C 15
5.Lyrics from:Sound and Vision
6.Lyrics from:Sorry to disappoint you,means: I don't know
7.Lyrics from:Under pressure ( together with Queen)
8.Lyrics from:Let's dance
9.Lyrics from:China Girl
10.Lyrics from:Dancing in the streets ( btw together with Mick Jagger)

The answer to the #4 question is simple: since you set this poll, you're the ranking #1.

The day Medgar Evers was burried from the bullit he caught...

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Re: Famous lyrics

Post by Skylimit » Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:25 am

Sneakster wrote:Hey, hey now, Skylimit, don't overestimate me!
I'm very, very impressed... Not everything must be easy... But I don't think I would have know 9 out of 10. Well you did, congratz.

And I'm not #1 because I didn't vote (yet) to not give the answer straight away.

A hint for the last one :
I'm stuck with a valuable friend
I'm happy, hope you're happy too
One flash of light but no smoking pistol
I've never done good things
I've never done bad things
I never did anything out of the blue
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Re: Famous lyrics

Post by Skylimit » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm

Sneakster wrote:The day Medgar Evers was burried from the bullit he caught...
Are these lyrics? Or do you want the date ...

On the night of June 12, 1963 while getting out of his car Medgar was shot in the back, by Byron de la Beckwith. He died 50 minutes at a local hospital. After his death his family received the Spingarn medal for his efforts and devotion. His murder pushed President John F. Kennedy to push for a civil rights bill that would ban segregation. This pushed Martin Luther King Jr. and 250,000 people to march to Washington D.C. where Martin Luther gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech.
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Re: Famous lyrics

Post by Skylimit » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:12 pm

Sneakster wrote:The day Medgar Evers was burried from the bullit he caught...
Let me have a go on this one ... didn't find a perfect match

ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME
(Words and Music by Bob Dylan)
© 1963, 1964 Warner Bros. Inc
© Renewed 1991 Special Rider Music
A bullet from the back of a bush took Medgar Evers' blood.
A finger fired the trigger to his name...
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Re: Famous lyrics

Post by Skylimit » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:17 pm

Skylimit wrote: ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME
(Words and Music by Bob Dylan)
© 1963, 1964 Warner Bros. Inc
© Renewed 1991 Special Rider Music
A bullet from the back of a bush took Medgar Evers' blood.
A finger fired the trigger to his name...
Yep, found confirmation ... dunno the song though

The day Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught,
they lowered him down like a king.
And when the shadowy sun
sets on the one
who fired the gun,
they’ll see by his grave
carved next to his name
an epitaph plain,
‘Only a pawn in their game.’

There's nothing you can't find on the internet, is there ?
http://www.jonathanpollard.org/2001/012501e.htm
Time is on our side ...

User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Sneakster » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:48 pm

Skylimit, I must admit: you surprised me quite a lot.. The assasination of Medgar Evers was the reason Dylan wrote this song. When I first heard it, I was overtaken by the lyrics and the tone of Dylans voice in this particular song. A while ago, Dutch TV showed a documentary on Medgar Evers, and racial problems in general, so I knew a bit more about this topic.

The Bowie song however, words do ring a bell, but I can't recall the title of the song.... Sorry!
BTW, maybe you've guessed: Dylan is (one of) my favourite artist(s)! 8)

User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Sneakster » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:06 pm

Sneakster wrote:Skylimit, I must admit: you surprised me quite a lot.. The assasination of Medgar Evers was the reason Dylan wrote this song. When I first heard it, I was overtaken by the lyrics and the tone of Dylans voice in this particular song. A while ago, Dutch TV showed a documentary on Medgar Evers, and racial problems in general, so I knew a bit more about this topic.

The Bowie song however, words do ring a bell, but I can't recall the title of the song.... Sorry!
BTW, maybe you've guessed: Dylan is (one of) my favourite artist(s)! 8)
Ahhh, just came to think of it : ashes to ashes. but of course.....
How could I not have known...

User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:07 am

Sneakster wrote:The assasination of Medgar Evers was the reason Dylan wrote this song.
Suddenly, there is a very strange connection between the song you did not guess, and Medgar Evers ... -> Ashes to Ashes
In fact, you knew it all along
Time is on our side ...

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”