On European roads

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

querty
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

On European roads

Post by querty »

Am I the only one who gets this impression? To me, the roads in the Netherlands and in Luxemburg are smaller than the roads in Belgium and in Germany. I am not talking about the E-roads but about the national roads. Who gets this impression too?
Ah, look at all the lonely Euronotes. Where do they all come from? (The Beatles, Eleanor Rigby)

Carpe Ico
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

I think you are right - but the roads in France seem very big too... or maybe they are just quiet if you drive on the toll roads.

Having just driven through all 4 countries (+ Austria and the UK) on holiday, I formed some very different opinions about the roads and the driving in each country... maybe I will post my opinions when I am feeling in a particularly nasty mood! :twisted:
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

I don't know what E-Roads are, but on my recent road trip through Luxemburg, Belgium and France I had the impression that the major roads and motorways are the same size everywhere. There are very narrow smaller roads, but I found them in Bavaria as well as in Benelux or France.

Lazza, I really hope you get into a nasty mood soon, I would love to hear about it :wink:
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

helloggs wrote:I don't know what E-Roads are, but on my recent road trip through Luxemburg, Belgium and France I had the impression that the major roads and motorways are the same size everywhere. There are very narrow smaller roads, but I found them in Bavaria as well as in Benelux or France.

Lazza, I really hope you get into a nasty mood soon, I would love to hear about it :wink:
E-roads are Europe roads, in other words motorways that go over from one country to another. For example E18 begins from Britain, goes to Norway as a ferry line, continues to Stockholm, then goes by a ferry to Turku, and Finally through Helsinki to St. Petersburg.
On the roads they're marked with signs such as this: Image
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

Dakkus wrote: For example E18 begins from Britain, goes to Norway as a ferry line, continues to Stockholm, then goes by a ferry to Turku, and Finally through Helsinki to St. Petersburg.
On the roads they're marked with signs such as this: Image
Wow! Really? I didn't know we had such exciting roads starting in Britain. So I could tell my friends, "St Petersburg? Turn right at the end of your street, left at the traffic lights, straight over the next lights, then right onto the E18. Continue for several thousand km and you're there!" 8) 8) :wink:

I saw a lot of E-roads on my recent trip, and did not know what they were - now I knoW! But I have never seen an E-road sign in Britian. :roll:
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Dakkus wrote:E-roads are Europe roads, in other words motorways
In many cases, yes, but not necessarily. This summer I was driving in Norway, to the south of Trondheim, and the E6 road there was in some places nothing more than like a local road, winding its way through small villages.

In Norway many of the main roads could be described as 'idyllic', instead of 'efficient' or some other attribute normally associated with main roads. :lol:

Btw, it's the same in Finland in many cases... :?
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

helloggs wrote:Lazza, I really hope you get into a nasty mood soon, I would love to hear about it
Thanks! Let's see how my football team does this weekend - that might put me in a bad mood...
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

Oh yes, of course, thanks dakkus. How could I forget about those E-Roads. These very useful roads that you can see on every second sign when driving to work, but whose are hardly ever displayed when you really go a long way and could use them. :roll:

By the way, lazza, are you using doshtracker and if yes, have you at least had a hit there ? :wink:
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

When I read "E-Roads" I thought of something virtual such like roads that data take travelling through the internet. One of these roads starts in the UK, leads you to Hong Kong, Tokyo and Hawaii and ends in Russia. :lol:
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Craft wrote:
Dakkus wrote:E-roads are Europe roads, in other words motorways
In many cases, yes, but not necessarily. This summer I was driving in Norway, to the south of Trondheim, and the E6 road there was in some places nothing more than like a local road, winding its way through small villages.

In Norway many of the main roads could be described as 'idyllic', instead of 'efficient' or some other attribute normally associated with main roads. :lol:

Btw, it's the same in Finland in many cases... :?
Yes, I know they aren't necessarily motorways, but I decided to cut some "unimportant" corners away ;)
Is it Sweden or Norway where no other road number than the E-number is shown if it exists for the road? I know they do it in either one of those, but can't remember which.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Dakkus wrote:Yes, I know they aren't necessarily motorways, but I decided to cut some "unimportant" corners away ;)
Yep, no probs :) It just reminded me about Norwegian main roads and was a starting point for me to write about them. :wink:
Dakkus wrote:Is it Sweden or Norway where no other road number than the E-number is shown if it exists for the road? I know they do it in either one of those, but can't remember which.
Hmm, I'm not sure, I guess I haven't paid enough attention to that particular detail... :? But now when I think about it, I suppose they do like that in Norway. I can't remember following any other road number out from Trondheim than the 'E6'.

But I think the system is similar in Sweden too. I have driven many times out from Stockholm, and I think that at least to the south the only number signs I've followed are the E-numbers.
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

helloggs wrote:By the way, lazza, are you using doshtracker and if yes, have you at least had a hit there ? :wink:
helloggs - I use Doshtracker sometimes, but not with all my notes, as there are not so many users. So far - ZERO HITS. In fact, I have not seen a hit on that site....

Also, I think EBT is by far the best currency tracker. It is more interesting to use a currency tracker that is truly international, and there is a lot more to learn about the €uro notes (where they were printed, for which country), and the map interface is really fantastic, and also, because it is not (yet?) my own currency it does not take up all of my time.....

I have also used WheresGeorge, as I occasionally go out to the US, but again, the interface is not as good as EBT, and there are not so many good features.... (and also ZERO HITS). :(
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

lazza wrote: helloggs - I use Doshtracker sometimes, but not with all my notes, as there are not so many users. So far - ZERO HITS. In fact, I have not seen a hit on that site....
Oh, really? I briefly browsed the statistics and wondered where the hit section was hidden...that explains something :roll: But I am sure that you will get a hit on EBT some day!
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

helloggs wrote: I briefly browsed the statistics and wondered where the hit section was hidden...that explains something
That's the other thing about EBT - it seems so well designed compared to other tracker sites. I have seen only one hit on Doshtracker, and it took a lot to find it (searching through the notes of the top users).
helloggs wrote:But I am sure that you will get a hit on EBT some day!
... but I have no plans to visit Finland :( :wink: (although I will be in Wuppertal later this month.... which seems a good area to get a hit!) :)
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Roads in the Netherlands do tend to be a bit narrower, and so do German roads, in comparison to Belgian roads. At least, that's what I think, when riding in the NLs... It's possible only in my mind, because of the smaller white stripes. Those are smaller in any country surrounding Belgium.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”