Batasuna : forbiden in Spain

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Batasuna : forbiden in Spain

Post by BossaNova » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:41 pm

BBC:

"The question now is, what will happen to Batasuna voters now they have been denied a legitimate, political voice?

A few brave critics of the government are warning that without Batasuna, these noisy activists will go underground, and join in the fight for ETA, body and soul. "

what do you think? do you think a referendum about independency should be taken in the Basque Country?

Aznar aparently not..

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Batasuna : forbiden in Spain

Post by Olivier » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:02 pm

BossaNova wrote:BBC:

"The question now is, what will happen to Batasuna voters now they have been denied a legitimate, political voice?

A few brave critics of the government are warning that without Batasuna, these noisy activists will go underground, and join in the fight for ETA, body and soul. "

what do you think? do you think a referendum about independency should be taken in the Basque Country?

Aznar aparently not..
I don't think a referendum could happen as long as there is violence in the area...
I regret that they have been forbidden, because it's better to speak with someone. Now, they can only put bombs to express themselves... :-(

The situation is strange for me, because the spanish provinces have already a great autonomy.
But I admit I am not well aware of the situation...

Olivier

wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:43 pm

that's a great risk when people can't talk anymore they will try to reach what they want trough violence. i don't think it is good to forbid political parties/ideals. even when they are extreme talking should have priority above shooting
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:53 pm

wouter wrote:that's a great risk when people can't talk anymore they will try to reach what they want trough violence. i don't think it is good to forbid political parties/ideals. even when they are extreme talking should have priority above shooting
On the other hand, that's why the Front National has the same rights as the other partis, in France. With the law, which gives it the same right as the other political partis, it can develop its racist and xenophobic theories.

Where does the free of speech end?
In France, there are many limits: if you are in favor of racism, revisionnism, etc... but the free of speach that we have in France could be the cause of the nationalism and of the huge score of Le Pen at the last presidential election... :?

O.

wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:38 pm

Olivier wrote:On the other hand, that's why the Front National has the same rights as the other partis, in France. With the law, which gives it the same right as the other political partis, it can develop its racist and xenophobic theories.

Where does the free of speech end?
In France, there are many limits: if you are in favor of racism, revisionnism, etc... but the free of speach that we have in France could be the cause of the nationalism and of the huge score of Le Pen at the last presidential election... :?

O.
I know that is a big problem but on the other hand in germany a number of extreme-right parties have been forbidden but at the same moment a new party gets established. In the Netherlands we also have some extreme right-winged parties (CD, CP86, NVU) but they are mostly ignored by the press and never really had a big support.
at this moment the support for extreme parties is really small but there is this new right-winged party from Pim Fortuyn which became the second party in the last elections (people voted as condoleance) butt has gone down in the polls ever since and at the next elections they will lose almost all their support
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.

BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:18 am

pro-Batasuna manif today in Bilbau. although the manif was already forbiden by the authorities, 50.000 people went there, 20 got hurt by the police..

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”