It or she or something else

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, eddydevries, Math Murderer, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

It or she or something else

Post by Antti » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:46 pm

This thing just came to my mind:
Which pronomine should I use referring to banknotes? The first and most natural thing I've already used is it because I also say se in Finnish(se is it in finnish). But then I started thinking that in english many things I refer to with it are referred to as she (for example ships etc.) so I thought why not also call bills she?

MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: It or she or something else

Post by MDeen » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:07 pm

Antti wrote:This thing just came to my mind:
Which pronomine should I use referring to banknotes? The first and most natural thing I've already used is it because I also say se in Finnish(se is it in finnish). But then I started thinking that in english many things I refer to with it are referred to as she (for example ships etc.) so I thought why not also call bills she?
I always use 'it'.
But your example is incorrect. In English a ship is a female word, and ships are commonly referred to as 'she' and not as 'it', at least that's how I've learned it.

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:19 pm

MDeen wrote:In English a ship is a female word, and ships are commonly referred to as 'she' and not as 'it', at least that's how I've learned it.
That's how I meant my example. My text is a bit messy today because I'm so happy after my first hit.
And as I said I also use 'it' but I just thought why not use 'she'?

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:06 pm

Antti wrote:And as I said I also use 'it' but I just thought why not use 'she'?
You can say 'Fill her up!' to the guy at the gas station, but I think it's (US) slang and just applies for large objects that you love very much. I'm not quite sure, but I think using 'she' for objects is very informal (and a bit sexist). :roll:

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:41 pm

I think using 'she' also shows respect.
That's why I sometimes call my first hit-note 'she'.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:05 pm

Antti wrote:I think using 'she' also shows respect.
Hmm, maybe you're right :?

You know what? I respect you very much ....... :wink: :twisted:

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:28 pm

Hmm, that shows another use for 'she': it can also be used as kind of an insult. :evil:
When I wrote it shows respect I meant non-living objects. And I was thinking in Finnish(Finnish makes no difference between he and she)

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:20 pm

Sorry, I just didn't understand why objects should be called 'she'. But maybe that's not my business anyways how you call your banknotes :). That's interesting that you don't make a difference in Finnish. Are there certain word formations or endings to differ females from males, e.g. a male lawyer from a female one?

K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by K3lvin » Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:29 am

micro wrote:Sorry, I just didn't understand why objects should be called 'she'. But maybe that's not my business anyways how you call your banknotes :).
Don't worry, I don't get his point either. :)
micro wrote: That's interesting that you don't make a difference in Finnish. Are there certain word formations or endings to differ females from males, e.g. a male lawyer from a female one?
The word for he/she is the same = hän. There are this -tar/tär ending that can be used in certain professions and titles to points out wether whe person is a woman. For example:

a waiter = tarjoilija
a waitress = tarjoilijatar
a count = kreivi
a countness = kreivitär
(It depends of the body word wether -tar or -tär is used)
Nowadays these -tar/tär words are not really used so a woman waitress is just called "tarjoilija" etc. I think it's very similar to the German word "Fräulein" which is not used anymore alot (correct me if I'm wrong).

So basicly you can't tell if you are speaking about a woman or a man if his/her name is not said.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:20 am

K3lvin wrote:Nowadays these -tar/tär words are not really used so a woman waitress is just called "tarjoilija" etc. I think it's very similar to the German word "Fräulein" which is not used anymore alot (correct me if I'm wrong).

So basicly you can't tell if you are speaking about a woman or a man if his/her name is not said.
'Fräulein' meant something like 'womanlet' (little woman) and was used to address unmarried women. It sounds stupid nowadays and is no longer used. We also have certain endings (still in use but fading a bit) and additional he/she/it. These (and other) redundances make the German language a bit cluttered. Objects also have sexes, and Antti would be happy since all banknotes are female over here :)

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:18 pm

K3lvin wrote:
micro wrote:Sorry, I just didn't understand why objects should be called 'she'. But maybe that's not my business anyways how you call your banknotes :).
Don't worry, I don't get his point either. :)
There isn't any real point, I was just watching a stupid american TV serie and I got bothered when they started talking about boats and used 'she' all the time. That just made me think what limits the things that can be called 'she' and that should be called 'it'.
I didn't want to take any opinion on the sexe of banknotes, again I didn't think it quite that far, because the difference between 'he' and 'she' doesn't come naturally to me and the finnish word 'hän' for he and she is strictly limited to human.(the inly exeption I can think of is people calling their pets 'hän')
Micro wrote:But maybe that's not my business anyways how you call your banknotes

Usually I call them 'seteli' (the finnish word for banknote) :)

This message became a bit messy, I didn't know how to expres what I meant. I'm sorry if you didn't get my point(maybe you really don't loose a lot if you don't get my point :) )

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:51 pm

Antti wrote:But then I started thinking that in english many things I refer to with it are referred to as she (for example ships etc.)
Actually, from what I remember in class (my family never uses she in that way...), only a few words that are neutral are sometimes refered to as she and that includes ships, England and I can't remember what else.
It's actually quite pedantic !

Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:55 pm

EuroBillTracker wrote:It's actually quite pedantic !
It definetly is

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”