Meteor alert, the Leonid meteor storm

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Phaseolus, Crazy Bob, Fons, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Meteor alert, the Leonid meteor storm

Post by airis »

The Leonid meteor storm is coming. :) The first peak is on Tuesday morning November 19th between 4 am and 6 am CET. In Europe you could see 500 or even 1000 meteors (shooting stars) per hour. The second peak seen in North America is even better - as many as 2000 meteors per hour.
This kind of meteor storms are very rare so I hope the sky is clear.

Nasa has calculated meteor rates for 58 cities around the world: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002 ... recast.htm
More information: http://www.spaceweather.com/
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

8) COOL 8). I hope the sky in Belgium will be clear.
Last time, there were too many clouds :cry: .
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

bhoeyb wrote:8) COOL 8). I hope the sky in Belgium will be clear.
Last time, there were too many clouds :cry: .
Yes, it was cloudy here too. :( Last year I watched the Nasa tv showing live the meteor storm over USA. And this is the last chance to see it. Next big Leonid meteor storm is in 2098.
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger »

between 4 and 6 am.... that's WAY too early :(
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

Just look at it the other way around: It's late, but not too late :idea: :)
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Re: Meteor alert, the Leonid meteor storm

Post by K3lvin »

airis wrote:The Leonid meteor storm is coming. :) The first peak is on Tuesday morning November 19th between 4 am and 6 am CET. In Europe you could see 500 or even 1000 meteors (shooting stars) per hour. The second peak seen in North America is even better - as many as 2000 meteors per hour.
This kind of meteor storms are very rare so I hope the sky is clear.
If the sky is clear you should have a good change to see a great show: Lappland is the darkest place in Europe. (map: http://www.dark-skies.org/images/imgarc ... MSP-LG.jpg ) The 'light pollution' affects a great deal when observing sky. Astronomical organizations have even campaigns for dark skies:
http://www.darksky.org/
http://www.dark-skies.org/main.shtm
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

K3lvin wrote:If the sky is clear you should have a good change to see a great show: Lappland is the darkest place in Europe. The 'light pollution' affects a great deal when observing sky. Astronomical organizations have even campaigns for dark skies.
Nice links. :)
Yes, fortunately the sky is still dark over countryside. I really hate the 'light pollution' even over Rovaniemi. If the sky is clear I´ll walk away from street lights and watch the show on river ice.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

airis wrote:
Yes, fortunately the sky is still dark over countryside. I really hate the 'light pollution' even over Rovaniemi. If the sky is clear I´ll walk away from street lights and watch the show on river ice.
I can't walk away from the light pollution anymore :cry: :cry: ... :evil: Lights everywhere. It's never realy dark in Flanders anymore.
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger »

idem here....
I live in a region where there are lots of plants grown. (flowers, tomatoes, etc)
And all those conservatories (serres) make a lot of light :(
If it's cloudy, the sky is really orange-yellow at night... :(

I noticed that since a few years even in southern France 'en plein Pyrenées' the sky isn't completely dark at night. You can easily see the horizon of the mountains.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

I hope there are some bright fire balls too. Once I saw a bright meteor in daylight. :)
They have added a nice animation. http://www.spaceweather.com/

As a child I lived in a little village and the nearest street lights were over 30 km away. I only had to switch off our outdoor lamp and it was dark. :)
Once I saw a Russian rocket launch from Plesetsk. First the rocket rised slowly and then it looked like it fell down. Actually it started to fly fast to east. The gas trail was visible for a long time.

BTW I noticed they had switched on the Christmas lights. More light pollution. :lol:
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

It´s over now. I saw many meteors last night. :D First ones at 2 am (all times local).
One meteor exploded and left a beautiful green gas cloud. Then it was cloudy. I saw some meteors between the clouds at 4 am. Then it was cloudy till 6 am. :(

I thought I won´t see the peak at all. Fortunately the sky was clear from 6 am to 7 am. I saw 3 to 5 meteors per minut or over 200 meteors per hour. :D http://www.spaceweather.com/ They were really fast. Then it clouded over again and I got home at 8 am. It was -10°C. With warm clothing it wasn´t too cold.

Next I'll wait for the Geminids December 14th. It is one of the best annual meteor showers with about 60 meteors per hour. Today I found out that the next big meteor storm may be Perseids in August 2004.
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

I didn't see anything, because it was cloudy :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by K3lvin »

Too cloudy in southern Finland too :(
If anyone knows links to some pics of the Leonids, please post them.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

There was a lot of fog at my place :evil: :cry: :cry: . It was even hard to see the other side of the road 8O :cry: . No meteors for me ...
hebben-en-houden
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by hebben-en-houden »

No meteors seen here :cry:
Only clouds :roll:
If you don't like traveling, just watch where your Eurobill goes and let the banknote do the travelling for you!!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”