EBT eestikeelseks

sambrasa
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: EBT eestikeelseks

Post by sambrasa »

Craft wrote:Inglise keele you on te aga ka sa. Soomekeelses EBT's kasutatakse alati sa (sinä) ega te, saksakeelses vastupidi alati te (Sie), aga kuidas peab eestikeelses? Osa tõlgedest on nüüd te ja osa sa.

In English the you pronoun is used for both formally polite and casual addressing of people, but in many other languages there are two different pronouns for those two cases. We need to agree on which one to use in the Estonian EBT. In the Finnish version we use the casual pronoun (sinä), in the German version the formally polite one (Sie), etc.
That's probably my fault. Old-school chap as I am I just can't bring myself to address other people in 1st person, so I used 2nd person exclusively. That's how it's done in proper, old time Estonian. I guess the other translaters were younger generation users. Oh, well.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Ok, but it's not anybody's fault :D. In some point of time we (actually meaning you = Estonian users) just need to decide which option to use. And if some lines say te and some sa, it's just a matter of coherent style, not a real problem or wrong translation.

All these stylistic matters can be streamlined later on, no need to do anything to the completed translations right now. The more urgent matter would be to get the translation as a whole ready for putting it online.

By the way, I'd like to suggest solving this question by making a poll topic over the two options. The poll could be open long enough (a few weeks maybe) for everyone interested to cast their votes. That's a good way of asking the users themselves what they'd prefer.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

It's a pity that the translation process has halted altogether now. I wonder why most of it was done in quite a short time, sometimes 100-200 translations a day, but now the last leap of 260+ snippets doesn't seem to happen. I tried to encourage the process by listing the remainder percentages and making a few translations as far as I was able to (or thought so), but now I'm afraid that it may have looked somehow discouraging, dunno :roll:.

Oh well, I'll be silent now here and in Babel and hope to see the Estonian site online some day in future. :D
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

That's what usually happens with translation projects. The easiest ~80% are translated happily, but the more complicated parts can take almost forever. It takes some courage to change the wordings as much as is often needed. I've seen the same happen with many open source projects.
I can't see the untranslated snippets myself, but I could bet they are mostly things that are especially annoying to translate.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
sambrasa
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by sambrasa »

On my part I can only say: been busy elsewhere recently, plus the part that's left seems to be a lot of eurobureaucratic bs, which is not fun to translate. I don't even know the correct phrases in Estonian for many such words. The fun, easy stuff has been translated, now comes the pain in the ass. My excuses for the person who created the original.
Stahl123
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Stahl123 »

How long has it usually taken for other languages to be totally translated?
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Stahl123 wrote:How long has it usually taken for other languages to be totally translated?
Longer than it's now been taking to translate the Estonian version. Of course EBT is also getting more and more complicated, which means there is always more to translate than there was before.

Of course, the earlier the translation is ready, the earlier a full-fledged campaign for getting new Estonian EBTers can begin ;)

How many translators are there actively translating EBT to Estonian? I'm wondering if I should dare to promise a beer for each :))
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Dakkus wrote:How many translators are there actively translating EBT to Estonian? I'm wondering if I should dare to promise a beer for each :))
About seven. I can participate in sharing the costs if necessary ;)

Even though the translation isn't yet 100% finished (it's at around 82%), I think I'll make the translation available on EBT today.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Stahl123
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Stahl123 »

Would it be possible to change the word "Maad" to ---> "Riigid" , on the opening page? It is filed under section "edetabelid".
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Stahl123 wrote:Would it be possible to change the word "Maad" to ---> "Riigid" , on the opening page? It is filed under section "edetabelid".
Done (in Babel, so it will appear on the front page some time soon).
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Now would be an excellent time to complete the Estonian translation of the newsletter. Most of the other languages are already translated, but the Estonian translation is lagging a bit behind. If there's no Estonian translation by Friday or so, the Estonians will receive the newsletter in English. The other language newsletters will be likely sent today. The texts are already in Babel (they've already been there for quite some time, actually).
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.

Return to “Saidi ja Euro arutelu (Eesti)”