Wireless Euro bill tracking

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Looks like your phone sends the data in unicode and my application doesn't understand that. I tried changing the encoding for the WML data to ISO-8859-1 but after doing that my Nokia didn't understand the data any more. Is it possible for you to change the charset to something else in your phone?
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

avij wrote:Looks like your phone sends the data in unicode and my application doesn't understand that. I tried changing the encoding for the WML data to ISO-8859-1 but after doing that my Nokia didn't understand the data any more. Is it possible for you to change the charset to something else in your phone?
Why don't you just make a special page for nokias and let the standard phones use another page?
Or change the encoding to Unicode? (AFAIK Nokia can read Unicode)
You could also recognize the phone when it contacts the server (the phone's browser sends its info just like a web browser does) and give it a working card from the deck :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

That'd require some programming effort on my part, my suggestion wouldn't :P Besides, changing the encoding to unicode wouldn't help, it's the web server (and the Perl script) that is unable to parse unicode, not the phone.
Finn
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Finn »

Ok, next time I enter notes by phone I'll check if I could change character set. I could do it tonight (my GPRS is free after 18, that's why not daytime :)) but those notes wouldn't have ä in place or comments. Will you fix my entry if I do test case? :)

Btw, I believe server runs Linux. If this is the case wouldn't it be time to switch on unicode, I think some distributions have it enabled by default already?

Some 4000+ notes ago:
2741 notes, 9 + 1 + 2 hits.
Definition of my hits.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Entering notes via WAP is currently b0rken, I'll try to fix it today.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

WAP should work again. The WAP gateway has also been moved to the same server as EBT, so it'd be interesting to see how those Unicode characters work at the moment.
Derryth
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Derryth »

I tried the wireless thingie today and it worked for me, sorta. The shortcode field doesn't work as it should in my N-Gage. First I get one letter but then five numbers. It works if I first empty the city field, put the shortcode there and then copypaste it to the shortcode field. It's a bit too much work if I just quickly want to enter one note. Anybody got any ideas what's wrong?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Um, strange. The WAP field format for shortcode is MNNNMN, I wonder why your phone doesn't like it? Any other users having similar problems?
Derryth
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Derryth »

Here are two pretty worthless screenshots:
Number one
Number two
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I'd dare to suggest that it's a bug in that phone. What's the software version (*#0000#) ? Any other N-Gage owners around?
Derryth
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Derryth »

avij wrote:I'd dare to suggest that it's a bug in that phone. What's the software version (*#0000#) ? Any other N-Gage owners around?
That's very possible. I'm still using the old v. 3.3. I should see if I can find some place that will update the phone in a day or so and not send it somewhere. You'd think that Nokia could make such a simple thing to work out of the box but apparently no.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Wonder if this problem occurs with all phones using the Series 60 operating system?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Finn
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Finn »

avij wrote:so it'd be interesting to see how those Unicode characters work at the moment.
Luckily I have some unentered notes with ä. Still same problem, maybe you could fix it for me, it's my newest note? :) I don't see a point to post direct link here.

Do you think you could utilize GNU recode in your Perl program easily? Have not used myself, so I'm just guessing here. If we could safely assume a phone sends either Unicode or ISO 8859-1 it wouldn't harm to do recode from Unicode to ISO always, would it?

Some 4000+ notes ago:
2741 notes, 9 + 1 + 2 hits.
Definition of my hits.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Finn wrote:Luckily I have some unentered notes with ä.
Well, the same problem would surface with comments as well, so you can test the system by just including some åäö characters in the comment field.
Finn wrote:Still same problem, maybe you could fix it for me,
Fixed.
Finn wrote:Do you think you could utilize GNU recode in your Perl program easily?
I guess it'd work, but after looking into Perl unicode support it looks like Perl 5.8.3 can handle all kinds of Unicode-related bells and whistles by itself by telling it to use some included Unicode modules. However, I settled for a traditional approach, a strategically placed s/([\xC2\xC3])([\x80-\xBF])/chr(ord($1)<<6&0xC0|ord($2)&0x3F)/eg; statement. I really think it should work now.
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger »

I already knew WAP was possible on EBT, but I never used it before...
But today I was looking for wap settings for my provider, and guess what... I can also use it! :)

So I tried it immediatly, and entered 4 notes.
No luck though, none of them were hits... :(
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)

Return to “Feedback and Development”