Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: Eurobilltracker-site Feedback.

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

lmviterbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am I'm thinking of one immediate advantage in the "Cxxxx4567xxx" layout: anyone browsing the banknotes recently registered by a specific EBTor can, wih that layout, spot a faker when you see a hit in a series. This (hit in series) is one of the most common reports in the "Discussions about investigations" topic under the hidden Database subforum (accessible only to members of the Database Working Group).

Maybe there's other advantages I don't know of.

I haven't gone into detailed analysis, but I know that layouts like "C012xxxxx89x" allow, in various combinations value/printer_letter/serial_letter, makes it possible or someone in the know to derive the plate (like "C001xx") and/or the cell (like "CxxxA1").
Hi again.

Sorry I have taken so long to reply.

I do not agree on what you write about fake serial hits. As far as I can imagine, opportunity of faking hits exists same way if you have Cxxxx4567xxx as if you have CT12xxxxx89x. A total of 6 digits, one of which checksum, are hidden in both cases.

Also, in my post, I wrote that a skilled user could figure out if one of the hidden digits could be CT12x4xxx89x given printing plate C023 if published. Well: my mistake, this is not true. This middle 4 could be figured out if the printing grid was published, or at least one position, let's say C023Dx or C023x4, but not just for the printing plate number, since plate number 023 actually prints ALL the serial numbers from, for example CS47xxxxxxxx to CT69xxxxxxxx.

And, given the C, you have the checksum, but:

1st: even showing only Cxxxxxxxxxxx, you ALSO give the checksum value, and
2nd: still need to guess a further 5 digits that can literally go from 00000 to 99999, so one out of 10,000 possibilities.
Last edited by JordiJanTaxi on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

lmviterbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am If I'm not wrong, there is a stress on accuracy in EuroBillTracker that isn't present in Where's George. Just an educated guess: maybe that is one of the main reasons for such a different hit ratio between these two platforms. It's arguably much harder in EBT (or at least more discouraged) to register notes that do not exist or you haven't actually seen.

Maybe one of the developers have better explanations. Or maybe the layout system can still be improved, but only those deeply knowledgeable (main developers, probably) would know the answer.
As for the accuracy or not in both EBT and WsG, my thoughts go to such a different ratio of hits, as you point. But not in your guess: mine is that they have so many hits because they move billions of one-dollar notes. Go to the daily hit list and you'll see that, actually, WsG has a lower hit ratio compared to EBT. The exercise is simple: count only the hits made out of banknotes faced 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollars. In this very moment, there are 430 banknotes with one hit: only 46 are 5$ or above face value. The other 384 are ONEs (or 370 ONEs and 14 TWOs, anyway).

Then, also, as Montgomery Burns writes,

1st: they url (most of) their notes,
2nd: there's lots of anonymous entries,
and 3rd: they ENCOURAGE stamping banknotes, and if you read user comments on hitted bills, you'll see quite often "I saw the stamps/website writings/etc. and I felt curious". And they really DO STAMP: I published quite a few photos in the english, spanish and portuguese forums showing how wild some "georgers" are stamping their banknotes...
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

lmviterbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am I'm thinking of one immediate advantage in the "Cxxxx4567xxx" layout: anyone browsing the banknotes recently registered by a specific EBTor can, wih that layout, spot a faker when you see a hit in a series. This (hit in series) is one of the most common reports in the "Discussions about investigations" topic under the hidden Database subforum (accessible only to members of the Database Working Group).

Maybe there's other advantages I don't know of.

I haven't gone into detailed analysis, but I know that layouts like "C012xxxxx89x" allow, in various combinations value/printer_letter/serial_letter, makes it possible or someone in the know to derive the plate (like "C001xx") and/or the cell (like "CxxxA1").

If I'm not wrong, there is a stress on accuracy in EuroBillTracker that isn't present in Where's George. Just an educated guess: maybe that is one of the main reasons for such a different hit ratio between these two platforms. It's arguably much harder in EBT (or at least more discouraged) to register notes that do not exist or you haven't actually seen.

Maybe one of the developers have better explanations. Or maybe the layout system can still be improved, but only those deeply knowledgeable (main developers, probably) would know the answer.
Maybe, there are "problems" with hits in EBT other than "serial hits" because of one bill.

Actually, if I log bill CT1234567890, I could also log bill CT1234567891 that I have never had in my hands.
OR; if I hit bill CS0987654321, I could try to log CS0987654322 and "see".
OR; trade bills.

I don't think at all that showing the first and last digits of serialnumber instead of the meaningless central ones would increase the ratio of fake hits in EBT list, even showing printing plate number, since most skilled EBTors KNOW that bill CS09xxxxx32x has been printed out of printing plate C009, and non-skilled users just don't have any further clue.

On the other hand, these are REAL SCANDALS and occur EVERY SINGLE DAY...:
hits-sospitosos1.jpg
hits-sospitosos1.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
hits-sospitosos2.jpg
hits-sospitosos2.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
hits-sospitosos3.jpg
hits-sospitosos3.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
uvy
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by uvy »

klapotec wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:01 pm
uvy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:38 pm There are still no :note-10: F (Oberthur Fiduciaire AD - Bulgaria :flag-bg:) in the Diffusion (Europa series notes)
have a bit more patience, the development team will be somewhat operational in January, and this is near the top of the list
Any progress with bulgarian F notes in the Diffusion ?
philgelico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Arras, France - Voiron, France - Lido di Dante, Italy

Post by philgelico »

I don't know what happens in the EBT site ,
Each time i want to see the maps of hits ( for instance, here, the map of hits during the current year ) , and the link is : https://fr.eurobilltracker.com/hits/?co ... imestats=5 ) , an empty map appears, and also information "This map is currently generated" ,
but, whatever i do , (waiting or refreshing the window) no map appears, never, and you can wait for hours, no map appears ever.
Surely somerthing doesn't work correctly anymore :
Attachments
map-generated.jpg
map-generated.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 6862 times
Si tu veux voler avec les aigles, éloigne-toi des paons. (proverbe d'origine inconnue)
千里之行 始于足下, proverbe chinois
اتَّكَلْنا منه على خُصٍّ الاتحاد قوة, proverbe arabe
ספר המעשיות: כולל אגדות וסיפורים מתוך קובץ כ"י ישן, proverbe sanskrit
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

https://www.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=166733263
https://www.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=210579979

Am I seeing things? Isn't that the same bill? Two note reports for the same note.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:38 pm https://www.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=166733263

Am I seeing things? Isn't that the same bill? Two note reports for the same note.
As is usual for a hit note - one note report for each user who has entered the note.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Really? 8O wow, I never realized. Thanks.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

klapotec wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 pm
Montgomery Burns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:38 pm https://www.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=166733263

As is usual for a hit note - one note report for each user who has entered the note.
I do not agree.

The id number refers to the bill, not to the user. That's why it is a hit. In this case, bill has two ids because most probably one of the users made a mistake in the printer code. For this reason, banknote not being identical, it received a new id number. But it became a hit because serialnumber is the same.

Go open the list of hits today and then open hits by both users: bill id will be the same.
Last edited by JordiJanTaxi on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

No. The ID refers to that user's entry of the note. For hit notes there are multiple entries. Whether the users used the same printer codes or not is irrelevant. I can see why you would think differently, but the database schema is not arranged that way.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

avij wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:24 pm No. The ID refers to that user's entry of the note. For hit notes there are multiple entries. Whether the users used the same printer codes or not is irrelevant. I can see why you would think differently, but the database schema is not arranged that way.
OK, you are the programmer. Nothing further I can say, except I see I had made myself a wrong idea of how it worked.
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

Could that be that the second user entered a not with typo in the serial that he fixed later on after checking? Giving a hit on the second try.
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Not that either. If a user's note entry gets accepted (valid serial number etc), it will get an ID. It does not matter if a note with the same serial number has already been entered. If the serial number, denomination, printer code, comment or location changes later on, the entry ID will stay the same.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

avij wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:15 pm Not that either. If a user's note entry gets accepted (valid serial number etc), it will get an ID. It does not matter if a note with the same serial number has already been entered. If the serial number, denomination, printer code, comment or location changes later on, the entry ID will stay the same.
Yep, this seams logic once you know. Sorry I didn't read the earlier posts.
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Noticed about a week ago that choosing between "Top locations" and "Last locations" doesn't change the locations list ("stuck" on last locations). I feel this could be a "clear your cache" problem, which I haven't done, but I can say I'm getting the issue on two different browsers.

2021-04-26 130611.jpg
2021-04-26 130611.jpg (113.21 KiB) Viewed 6594 times

Return to “Feedback and Development”