Brazil:
82893, 83057, 87546, 93236 ==> Sao Paulo
76464 (Praia gramde) and 76465 (Praia Grande) ==> same city

Canada:
15618 (Calgery) and 29930 (Galgary) ==> Calgary
62992 (Montreal, quebec) ==> Montréal
47374 (Kitchener, on) and 47373 (Kitchener) ==> same city

Denmark:
78647 (Rodbyhavn, sorry can't put sign on the o) and 80855 (Rodbyhavn) ==> same city

Gambia:
49326 (Kotu / koloki) and 49325 (Kotu / koliki) ==> same city

Cape Verde:
87339 (Santa Maria) and 87359 (Santa Maria, sal) ==> same city
25999 (Espargos) and 26000 (Espargos, sal) ==> same city

Croatia:
37086 Hasselt ==> this is a Belgian city

Lybia:
106835 (Umm al-maa) and 106836 (Umm al_maa) ==> same city

Liechtenstein:
88311 (Schaan) and 88274 (Scaan) ==> same city

Malaysia:
50324 (Kuola Lumpur) ==> Kuala Lumpur

Mexico
61158 (Mexico df), 59595 (Mexico, d.f.) and 61156 (Mexico) ==> Mexico city

Mozambique:
42951 (Ilha de Mocambique) and 42953 (Ilha Mocambique) ==> same location

Peru:
19702 (Cuzco) and 19661 (Cusco) ==> same city

Russia:
103209 (Svetogorsg), 103212 (Svetogorsk russia) and 103213 (Svetogosk) ==> Svetogorsk

Singapore:
92208 (Singapur) ==> Singapore

Slovakia:
27544 (Filderstadt) ==> this is a German city, near Stuttgart

Surinam:
61422 (Mijdrecht), 45488 (Katwijk) and 93413 (Spijkenisse) ==> all are Dutch cities

Tajikistan:
22391 (Douchambé) and 23617 (Dushanbe) ==> same city

Chad:
64938 (Ndjamena) and 64939 (Ndlamena) ==> same city

Tunesia:
106347 (Tunes) ==> Tunis

Sweden:
117547 (Zutphen) ==> this is a Dutch city
Progress is a comfortable disease - E.E. Cummings
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

this one is pretty strange...
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Crazy Bob wrote:this one is pretty strange...
The "unknown city" profiles are the garbage bin for all unknown and weird locations for that country. There's a profile like that for every major country in our database. Example locations in this case would include "-, United Kindom", "England, United Kingdom" or "None, United Kingdom".
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

Some preliminary comments:

1. All this is a hell of a lot more work than anticipated, but I don't see how a smarter conversion script could have eased it much. The only thing to regret is that this change was not been implemented already from the beginning of EBT.
Please remain patient, also with the lists posted in this thread: As some discussion indicate already (e.g. regarding Europoort or the airport of Maastricht), the lists may still require some verification - this goes much faster with all the help we receive from this thread, but I'd rather not skip that step completely.

2. Airports: Unless an airport is within the city limits I'm currently leaving it in a separate profile. We'll see how it goes and probably settle for a case-by-case solution. This will remain a matter to discuss on the forum.

3. Bilingual areas: Due to the inherent potential of emotional conflicts - as manifested also occasionally on the forum - these cases have largely been postponed. In most cases it is infeasible to have the names translated into all EBT languages (exceptions for selected large cities). I feel again that this issue requires again a solution specific to the area in question.

4. South Tyrol: I've spent some time on this bilingual area, mostly because it is a relatively small one. Following advice given in this thread and an italian colleague I've used there both the German and the Italian name in the profile names (e.g., http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=11911). This is quite a bit of work because in almost all cases at least one of the two names has to be typed in manually. As I said, South Tyrol is relatively small, German is (according to 2001 census) by far the predominant language, so I underwent this pain. This is not likely to be an optimal solution for larger areas with two or more official languages, such as Belgium.
The order of the languages is random, though in many cases german precedes italian because notes were only registered under the german name.

5. Wrong dots: If a dot is wrong in the city profile but correct in the note reports, then this means that the city profile subsumes at least two distinct cities and needs to be split. The dot shown is the average of all individual coordinates. Such errors are particularly common, and particularly labour-intensive, among locations with frequent names. A wonderful example is the quoted "Saint-Louis" in France (the homepage of La Poste lists eight places with this name, we've got coordinates for another six postal codes). One of the Saint-Louis' is on Réunion in the Indian Ocean and another one on Guadeloupe in the Caribbean, which is why the averaged dot was in the Mediterranean. At least these two have now been split off.
Have you considered writing a mail to contact@ebt to have those locations corrected? Each wrong location is contributing to extra work now.
7. Crazy Bob wrote:this one is pretty strange...
In almost every country, there are some locations which cannot reasonably get assigned to any city profile. Existing examples include "0000 Eurobilltracker, Austria", "7896584 Dddddddd, Andorra", "4564 Sdfg<sdfg, Estonia", "75018 Parijs - Amsterdam, Belgium", "?? Schiff fin-de, Germany", "Dublin, Netherlands (with postal code ROSENDAAL)", "? Feldkirchen, Austria" (this matches several places).
Thus for most countries there exists a profile named "Unknown city" (this gets translated into your language), most of them have a very low profile-number. Users who choose to leave the city field of their default location blank are also subsumed by "Unknown city". Sometimes this unknown city is surprisingly high in the rankings.
the taxman
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by the taxman »

Gauss wrote:Some preliminary comments:

1. All this is a hell of a lot more work than anticipated, but I don't see how a smarter conversion script could have eased it much. The only thing to regret is that this change was not been implemented already from the beginning of EBT.
8O

thx anyway!!

dennis
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

Gauss wrote:In most cases it is infeasible to have the names translated into all EBT languages (exceptions for selected large cities)
Personaly I prefer the local spelling (Wien, Praha, Paris, Bucuresti instead of the dutch - my language - equivalents Wenen, Praag, Parijs, Boekarest). But well, I can always change my EBT language :P

I think the South Tyrol sollution is a good sollution for such smaller areas. Maybe it's also a sollution for Western Finland (Finnish - Swedish) or Russian Karelia (Russian - Finnish)
Belgium is a multi-language country, but there the borders between Flanders (Vlaanderen) and Wallonie are quite distinct, except Brussels (Dutch - French) and Eastern Belgium (German - French).
In The Netherlands we have the province of Frisia (Friesland / Fryslân) with their own language. But there are rules about spelling, some locations use dutch names, others frisian (and some use both, but with a dominant spelling).

Anyway, I agree it's a hell of a job to get all locationsprofiles fixed. But all the small things helps.

Keep on the good work
and I will try to post "problems" if I see them
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ErGo »

Oberschützen and Mariasdorf (both :flag-at:) has no dot until yet (i added notes there on Sep.23th)

Also the note from Enzesfeld-Lindabrunn
and Hochneukirchen

Thnx
Last edited by ErGo on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... d=17583237

This^ is an international hit and the location Monaco is neither Monegasque (French Flag) nor is it subsumed under the city profile of the Monegasque Monaco.

Notes entered in 85356 München were found at the airport. Thus this location belongs to the München Flughafen city.
Smike
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Smike »

FVS wrote:
1337 - Bergen aan zee - 22 - Bergen (Noord-Holland)
1470 - Bloemendaal aan zee - 15 - Bloemendaal
1325 - Noordwijk aan zee - 23 - Noordwijk
663 - Santpoort noord - 184 - Santpoort
933 - Santpoort zuid - 70 - Santpoort
753 - Schiphol rijk - 131 - Schiphol
In addition to yli's corrections to FVS list, also the following should not be corrected and correctly written as:

Bergen aan Zee
Bloemendaal aan Zee
Noordwijk aan Zee
Santpoort-Noord
Santpoort-Zuid
Schiphol-Rijk
magpie NLI

Post by magpie NLI »

The locations of the St. Wolfgang cities (ID: 87069, 95820, 98097, 100236) are mixed up.

In Germany there is only one village called Sankt Wolfgang (postcode 84427).
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

These are all the same city:
Beijing, Peking and Pekin. The western world traditionally uses Peking, however, lately the more correct Beijing is being used more and more.

I myself suggest Beijing to be the name used in the database.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

why do these three notes

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... d=22365077
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... d=22365084
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... d=22365099

make three new city profiles

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=120123
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=120124
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=120125

although these notes

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... id=9236647
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... id=8891459
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... d=15450163

have been entered previously and already been merged into the city profile

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=106706 ?

doesn't the heuristic realize that only the capitalization is different? That would mean that all locations that have already been merged into different cities will now make new unknown city profiles when the user uses the locations again with proper capitalization.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

Following locations should be merged under the city of Bornheim (ID 12275)

Bornheim merten (ID 12280)
  • Bornheim merten (53332), Germany
    Bornheim-Merten (53332), Germany

Bornheim-merten (ID 117864)
  • Bornheim-merten (53332), Germany

Bornheim/merten (ID 12285)
  • Bornheim/merten (53332), Germany

Merten (ID 60928)
  • Merten (53332), Germany
    Merten (53783), Germany

Bornheim (roisdorf) (ID 12276)
  • Bornheim (roisdorf) (53332), Germany

Bornheim - roisdorf (ID 12277)
  • Bornheim - roisdorf (53332), Germany

Bornheim dersdorf (ID 12278)
  • Bornheim dersdorf (53332), Germany
    Bornheim-dersdorf (53332), Germany

Bornheim hersel (ID 12279)
  • Bornheim hersel (53332), Germany
    Bornheim-hersel (53332), Germany

Bornheim roisdorf (ID 12281)
  • Bornheim roisdorf (53332), Germany
    Bornheim-roisdorf (53332), Germany

Bornheim(roisdorf) (ID 12282)
  • Bornheim(roisdorf) (53332), Germany

Bornheim-hemmerich (ID 12283)
  • Bornheim-hemmerich (53332), Germany

Bornheim/hersel (ID 12284)
  • Bornheim/hersel (53332), Germany

Bornheim/roisdorf (ID 12286)
  • Bornheim/roisdorf (53332), Germany

Brenig (ID 13485)
  • Brenig (53332), Germany

Dersdorf (ID 20976)
  • Dersdorf (53332), Germany

Hemmerich (ID 38987)
  • Hemmerich (53332), Germany

Hersel (ID 39494)
  • Hersel (53332), Germany

Sechtem (ID 90823)
  • Sechtem (53332), Germany

Uedorf (ID 106630)
  • Uedorf (53332), Germany

Walberberg (ID 111422)
  • Walberberg (53332), Germany

Waldorf (ID 111607)
  • Waldorf (53332), Germany

Widdig (ID 114269)
  • Widdig (53332), Germany

Bornheim should be split:
Bornheim (ID 12275)
Bornheim (51399), Germany --> City of Burscheid

Bornheim (5332), Germany --> ID 12275 (Rheinland)
Bornheim (53332), Germany

Bornheim (55237), Germany --> A new city of Bornheim (Rheinhessen) (there are three Bornheims in Germany)
Bornheim (55288), Germany

Bornheim (60385), Germany --> Frankfurt am Main
Bornheim (60386), Germany
Bornheim (60389), Germany

Bornheim (76879), Germany --> Another city of Bornheim (Pfalz)
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

androl wrote:...
doesn't the heuristic realize that only the capitalization is different? That would mean that all locations that have already been merged into different cities will now make new unknown city profiles when the user uses the locations again with proper capitalization.
Same problem happend to

:flag-nl: Oost souburg Last Note Entered: 2006-09-25 00:26:21
:flag-nl: Oost-Souburg First appearance on EBT: 2006-09-27

:flag-nl: Cambrils seems to be :flag-es: Cambrils
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

1. As for bilingual areas, upon closer looks and further discussion of some peculiarities, it seems infeasible to use the approach I've suggested for South Tyrol - equally for reasons of aesthetics (in the lists with the rankings) and work effort. Having several thousand names translated into thirteen EBT languages is obviously impossible as well. One possibility could be to use - in the case of doubts - the name most frequently employed in the note entries. After all, the question which might be the name predominantly used cannot be answered in general, as the answer may depend on whether it is given by a local or a foreigner, by a representative of either of the competing languages or of a third one, etc.
Any opinions?
Good question. In principle the heuristic is supposed to take care of capitalisation, as far as I understand it.

Edit: Androl, you will not expect a computer to recognise Ulm-<minorsubdivision> to be the same as Um-<minorsubdivision>.
3. magpie wrote:Following locations should be merged under the city of Bornheim (ID 12275)
After above criticism relating to Asemissen and other dependent villages, I wonder whether inhabitants of, say, Sechtem share this point of view.
Last edited by Gauss on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Feedback and Development”