Burdie wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:53 pm
the_pooh_tripper wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm some new :flag-ch: cities
All done now. Thanks
marbe166
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: Incorrect dots and inaccuracies among city profiles

Post by marbe166 »

Why are some of the cities of Klagenfurt am Wörthersee shown with both German and Slovene names?
Klagenfurt / Celovec
Viktring / Vetrinj
Wölfnitz / Golovica pri Celovcu
Waltendorf / Vapoca vas

I see no reason for them having any other names than the German ones, since German is the official language in Austria.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

marbe166 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pmI see no reason for them having any other names than the German ones, since German is the official language in Austria.
ah, but there are regions in Austria with other official languages in addition to German: Slovenian in Carinthia, and Hungarian and Croatian in Burgenland. In Burgenland it is somewhat easier to implement this (though not yet finished), as there is an official list of official place names that are Hungarian or Croatian in addition to German, in Carinthia there is no such thing (at least not reasonably easily findable on the internet), so a Wikipedia list was taken as a source, which (I know) contains more than the current official bilingual place names.
marbe166
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by marbe166 »

klapotec wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm
marbe166 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pmI see no reason for them having any other names than the German ones, since German is the official language in Austria.
ah, but there are regions in Austria with other official languages in addition to German: Slovenian in Carinthia, and Hungarian and Croatian in Burgenland. In Burgenland it is somewhat easier to implement this (though not yet finished), as there is an official list of official place names that are Hungarian or Croatian in addition to German, in Carinthia there is no such thing (at least not reasonably easily findable on the internet), so a Wikipedia list was taken as a source, which (I know) contains more than the current official bilingual place names.
Well, using that analogy Luxembourg should be displayed as Luxembourg/Lëtzebuerg/Luxemburg (French/Luxembourgish/German), Geneva should be Genève/Genf/Ginevra/Genevra (French/German/Italian/Romansh), Dublin should be Dublin/Baile Átha Cliath (English/Irish) etc., but that would just be ridiculous.

Use the names of the language of the version of the site of the user, or if no such name exists, use the name of the place in the dominant language.

In this case, the Slovenian names should be displayed if you change to the Slovenian version of the site, and the German names for all other versions.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

the format of the name of the location profile is for the relevant countries' location managers to decide, usually (as in this case) in coordination with users from the region. this format is actually used in a few luxembourgian (and belgian, and other) places for bilingual communities. if you can get me an official list of carinthian place names that are officialy bilingual, i will gladly change those that aren't.

names for cities that change according to the language version of the site are implemented differently (they have their own entries in another database), and are only used for a very few very large cities.
Kleman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Kleman »

And maybe some big cities have different names in different languages...
When a german or an austrian come to Venezia, he call "her" Venedig (Venise in French, etc...)
I agree to use the original name of course.

Another example: my great city of Bordeaux is called "Burdeo" in spanish 8O

:P
Mes stats

Monde: 34
France :flag-fr: : 1
Local (Bordeaux): 1

Notes: 882 825
Hits: 1436
laurentina
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by laurentina »

I entered some notes in Castelnovo ne’ Monti
when I open the town it says, that I am the first person who entered notes is this place
https://de.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?city=237684
but some users already entered notes there
https://de.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?city=16687
can you please merge the two profiles
thanks
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

laurentina wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:22 pm I entered some notes in Castelnovo ne’ Monti
You used the punctuation apostrophe: (RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, U+2019).
The city name, as defined previously on the EBT database, uses the typewriter apostrophe: ' (APOSTROPHE, U+0027).

I merged both city-profiles into the old one.
laurentina
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by laurentina »

lmviterbo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 am I merged both city-profiles into the old one.
romanm
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by romanm »

Please add the following city to EBT: Thanks in advance!
tigerpranke
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tigerpranke »

romanm wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 pm Please add the following city to EBT: Thanks in advance!
Fixed.
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

I can't check, but it would seem the other notes from Sandfjord are from the airport Torp (looking at the name), if that is not the case, could someone change the name to simply Sandfjord? If not, please create a separate entry for my notes named Sandefjord, I got it in the city centre.
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

groentje wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm I can't check, but it would seem the other notes from Sandfjord are from the airport Torp (looking at the name), if that is not the case, could someone change the name to simply Sandfjord? If not, please create a separate entry for my notes named Sandefjord, I got it in the city centre.
It is sorted now. Thanks
Personal statistics from: NIGMM / EBTST / EBTcheck 250 Hits with 2 triple :flag-ie: 3 :flag-eu: 410
list of (known by me) latest "codes_country.txt" files Blog
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

And some more Norwegians.
https://nl.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=188937935 Gjøvik in the municipality of the same name, Opplands fylke
https://nl.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=188937964 Gran in the municipality of the same name, Opplands fylke
https://nl.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=188962250 Langesund in the municipality of Bamble, Telemarks fyle

That's all, folks!

Return to “Feedback and Development”