Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: Euro cash dispensers outside the Euro zone

Post by Xerxes84 »

SantaCruz wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 pm
Xerxes84 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 pm Heading back to Switzerland (Geneva) in 2 weeks. I believe that most Swiss ATMs dispense euros but only to Swiss based account holders. Is there any way to withdraw euros there without having a Swiss account?
Good luck! I tried my German debit card and credit card all over Switzerland (and Liechtenstein) and never got Euros at an ATM. So I ended up changing CHF to Euros at the train station again when I was in Geneva last month. If you are planning on visiting CERN, there is an exchange office just across the street at the gas station in Meyrin just before the French border. The latter one had a clearly better exchange rate.
Thanks for the info. I tried my Irish debit card in Zurich and Liechtenstein and got no joy. I have a Revolut card so I might try that as well when I'm in Geneva.
tralla
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by tralla »

Hello all,
not really "cash dispenser" but I never had a problem changing Euro notes at a bank counter in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. No fees, just a friendly smile required.
Happy hunting, tralla
Meine EBTCheck-Statistik (danke, marty44)
Meine nigmm-Statistik (danke, tt.01)
My little gallery of stamps and scribbles on Euro notes.
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

They are many exchange offices that have terrible rates or commissions in Prague. The first rogue exchange office has been closed today by the new municipality. I know at least one eurobilltracker who lost money there so I wanted to share the news with you all. \o/
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

But it says 0% commission! Has to be good! :mrgreen:
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

MDeen wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 am But it says 0% commission! Has to be good! :mrgreen:
When you see 0% commission in big letters, always check for the rate. Here when you gave 100€ you got 1800czk back when it should be 2500czk with a fairer rate. Some change offices even display 0% commission and a nice rate but it states in small letters that it is only for transaction above 2000€. When I say they are rogue changers in Prague, yes they are.
Kleman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Kleman »

aloxe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 pm I know at least one eurobilltracker who lost money there
It's me ! :mrgreen: :evil:
Great news !
We have to be careful in Prague, thanks Aloxe.
Mes stats

Monde: 34
France :flag-fr: : 1
Local (Bordeaux): 1

Notes: 882 825
Hits: 1436
cougar1989
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by cougar1989 »

At Prague you have to be very careful.
We did 2 years ago a bachelor party for a friend there. There were some friends which lost some money, because of money changing.
I was only clever, I changed my money some weeks before at a gasstation near the border to Germany and the exchange rate was very good.
Also at gasstations at Poland :flag-pl: and Czech Republic :flag-cz: you must be carefully if you pay in Euro. Fuel and Cigarettes are chaeper there than at Germany. Some gasstions have very good exchange rates and others are very bad, so it could happen if you pay in Euro, that the cashier use the calculator and says to you what you have to pay and if you calc it later you saw that they cheated with the exchangerate.
SantaCruz
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by SantaCruz »

The Youtube channel Honest Guide has a lot of useful videos on how to avoid scams in Prague:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7oj3 ... vRbc1bNjJA
"Ich schneie hier mal rein, lass mal hier, mal da 'nen Schein und merke immer schnell: schöne Momente sollten länger sein." - Sportfreunde Stiller, Ungewöhnlich
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

SantaCruz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm The Youtube channel Honest Guide has a lot of useful videos on how to avoid scams in Prague:
Yep this guy helped us a lot with this he's really good.
Last edited by aloxe on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

Attachments
honestguide-change.jpg
honestguide-change.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
ernanna
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by ernanna »

aloxe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 pm Image

They are many exchange offices that have terrible rates or commissions in Prague. The first rogue exchange office has been closed today by the new municipality. I know at least one eurobilltracker who lost money there so I wanted to share the news with you all. \o/
I travelled all around the world but I had my worst experience about money exchange in Prague, close to Charles bridge. Bad bad bad!!!
Hit: :flag-it: x 22, :flag-de: x 9, :flag-at: x 2, :flag-si: x 2, :flag-sk: x 1, :flag-gr: x 1, :flag-nl: x 1
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

All of course very interesting, but what does the above have to do with cash dispensers (ATMs)?
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

Exchange office are cash dispensers. They're just not automatic. :D

A side note to tell that many rogue ATMs are also in Prague. They can provide euros to non euro card holders only. They also propose to apply their own (rip-off) change rate instead of the one from your bank.
SantaCruz
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by SantaCruz »

Crazy Bob wrote: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:38 pm
thejay wrote:Hi all,

Sorry, but it isn't exactly clear to me where the ATM's in Heathrow Airport are. Are they before or after the check-in and security area?
I'm asking this because I'll be going to London in May (by Eurostar) and I might be tempted trying to score the dot involving Heathrow Airport.
But in this case it's only interesting of course when the € ATM is in the public area of the Airport since I'm not flying....
The ones I know of are all in the secure area, so you need to travel by plane in order to get to them.
Terminal 2 has a Travelex ATM giving Euros in the public area. Very bad exchange rate though.
"Ich schneie hier mal rein, lass mal hier, mal da 'nen Schein und merke immer schnell: schöne Momente sollten länger sein." - Sportfreunde Stiller, Ungewöhnlich
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

Exchange rate for euros? All my euro withdrawals with ATMs in the UK were always charged in euro. No exchange rate involved.
It is something different when you withdraw GBP of course. Then you ususally have to take your own bank's rate, not the ATM rate.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”