Malta&Cyprus welcome,Slovakia and Estonia too,now Latvia

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

scb wrote: The Republic of Cyprus has three official languages and thus prints (or better used to print) all three on its currency. These are: English, Greek and Turkish.
I didn't know that turkish is an official language in the Republic of Cyprus :!: Here is a " 1 pound " of 1997 : there's written in English ( one pound and Central bank of Cyprus ) on one side , on the other one there is written infact in other 2 languages : I think that one is Greek and the other Turkish . . can anybody please translate what there is written :?:

P.S. click on the images to view them larger

ciao,andrea

:flag-es: :flag-it: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-fi: :flag-gr:
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

starcapitan wrote: can anybody please translate what there is written :?:
well, it's quite easy : it's written "Cyprian Central Bank - one pound"

AOSQ ?
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

Phaseolus wrote:well, it's quite easy : it's written "Cyprian Central Bank - one pound"

AOSQ ?
Thanks a lot but which are the 2 languages : Greek & Turkish :?: Greek on the top and Turkish at the botton :?:
What please does it mean AOSQ :?: any other simple question :?:

ciao,andrea

:flag-es: :flag-it: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-fi: :flag-gr: :flag-fr:
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
girls legs SUPERFAN
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

both says "one lira".
English is not an official language of Cyprus, those are only Greek and Turkish.
So why is that currency called "pound" in English, if all the Cypriots call it "lira"? :roll:
The Maltese lira has been called "Maltese pound" some decades ago, then the name was changed to "lira"
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

androl wrote:both says "one lira".
English is not an official language of Cyprus, those are only Greek and Turkish.
So why is that currency called "pound" in English, if all the Cypriots call it "lira"? :roll:
The Maltese lira has been called "Maltese pound" some decades ago, then the name was changed to "lira"
You're sure, English isn't one of the official languages on Cyprus?
It used to be a British colony (like Malta also).
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

italiano a Malta

Post by starcapitan »

there is also a little bit of italiano in Malta . . CIAO :D
tra poco avremo entrambi l'€ ed EBT si diffondera' ..
:flag-it: Image :flag-eu:
Last edited by starcapitan on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
girls legs SUPERFAN
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

calcio + RUGBY

Post by starcapitan »

it is a bit off-topic I Know but Cyprus did pretty well in the EURO 08 football QUALIFYING Austria-Switzerland ( an € and a no€ country-indeed-noEU :!: )with 14 points and Malta won 1 versus Hungary !
La Gazzetta dello Sport :arrow: calcio :arrow: qualif.EURO 08
andrea
ImageImageImage

about the new EU "entries"these 3 - Poland,Czech Republic and Romania-reached the final event , good luck

W il RUGBY
girls legs SUPERFAN
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

Sorry I waz preparing a welcome post for the 1st Jan 08 and by mistake clicked the "submit" botton
Just to say something : €1 = CYP 0.585274 and €1 = MTL 0.429300 ; both the currencies , as happened 4 :flag-ie: ( €1 = 0.787564 IEP ) , value more than 1 € - ALL THE 3 ISLAND/COUNTRY
ciao,andre
Image Image
EBT hasn't already create 4 common use - € countries + England - but in a way I menaged . . it's great now I can put flags of all the countries
girls legs SUPERFAN
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Like other €-countries Malta and Cyprus will get their flags as emoticons (at least, I think so).

I don't know what the names will be, but it maybe something like :flag-mt: and :flag-cy:.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Tik Tak
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Tik Tak »

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Guess it is primarily a language thing. The current Cyprus currency is called "pound" in English but "lira" in Greek. As that Wikipedia article explains, both refer to the Latin "libra". I don't speak Greek, but if you look at the website of the Central Bank of Cyprus, you will notice that it uses pound in English versions but Λίρα (lira) in Greek versions. Like here:

(English) According to the Central Bank of Cyprus Law the Cyprus Pound is the monetary unit of the Republic of Cyprus and is divided into such fractions as may be determined by the Council of Ministers.
(Greek) Σύμφωνα με τον Περί της Κεντρικής Τράπεζας της Κύπρου Νόμο η Κυπριακή Λίρα είναι η νομισματική μονάδα της Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας.
http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=11

Christian
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

Tik Tak wrote: The symbol "₤" is also known as the lira sign. In Italy, prior to the adoption of the euro, the symbol was used as an alternative to the more usual L to indicate prices in lire (but always with double horizontal lines).
as far as I know in Italy was more used symbol "₤" than "L" to express prizes in Lire Italiane (LIT)
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

Let me add that, in Italian, the full name of the British pound (officially 'sterling pound') was 'lira sterlina'; which makes it clear that 'lira' and 'pound' are synonyms. Moreover, when we talk about the pound as a unit of weight in Italian we translate it as 'libbra', which clearly shares the same origin as 'lira'.
One thing I never understood was why the Italian lira wasn't called the 'Italian pound' in English-speaking countries. Looks like in Italian one always uses the name 'lira' (lira italiana, lira turca, lira maltese, lira sterlina...), while in English both names are in use, for different countries (Italian lira, Turkish lira, Maltese pound, and sterling pound, respectively).
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

RE

Post by starcapitan »

u are tight Tik Tak and that's the difference with the Pound : double instead of one orizzontal lines

ciao tabbs nice your link :D . . and I wonder what would be later at that URL

ciao eddydevries see soon -24 days I think - when the 2 flags will be if u are right you won something

:flag-es: :flag-it: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-fi: :flag-gr: :flag-fr: :flag-pt:
girls legs SUPERFAN
Tik Tak
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Tik Tak »

tabbs wrote:Guess it is primarily a language thing. The current Cyprus currency is called "pound" in English but "lira" in Greek. As that Wikipedia article explains, both refer to the Latin "libra".
And in portuguese we still use the word "libra" for the british and irish pound. But for maltese or cypriot pound we usually say "lira", so we have two terms for the same word, I guess.. Probably just because "pound" doesn't sound portuguese, so a translation was needed, while "lira", of latin origin, can sound portuguese. But is also possibly to ear libra for cypriot or maltese pounds, but never for the old italian lira.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”