Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

tomaz79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

User ranking glitch?

Post by tomaz79 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:43 am

I don't know if this has already been posted (sorry, if it was):

I was always wondering why in my profile I am ranked 881. internationaly, but if you go to the ranking list, I am listed one place higher - 880.

I noticed that the discrepancy starts between users tksaan and dingchavez, who are ranked 678. and 680. in their profiles, but in the rankings they appear as 678. and 679. Do we have a hidden user ranked 679. who doesn't appear on the ranking list? :)

Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 am

This is probably caching at some level; different rankings visible at the same time are typically not generated at the same time, and the cache timeouts (i.e., the times between updates) vary according to the kind of statistics.

The less likely possibility is that this is a reincarnation of an old bug, which is considered solved, though. Despite this, we receive very occasionally (like now, and most recently in late august) reports about such issues, usually differences by one rank, where the same differences are said to have been observed on several occasions. It has never been possible to track down such a difference to the extent that caching can be excluded as reason.

tomaz79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by tomaz79 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:56 am

Indeed, this is not the first time that I observed this. Actually, for the past month or two I am always ranked one place higher in the list than in my profile. I remember that a while ago, I also tracked the exact position where this one place difference started, but I can't remember exactly where it was (I think also back then it was in the 600s). If the 'glitch' would always persist at rank 679., would that still indicate a caching problem?

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”