how to enter notes?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Quite frankly I'd think twice before wasting time on such a "feature". You have the option to only receive one hit mail per month. You have the option to enter a fake mail address. What else do you want?

What kind of tracker wouldn't want to receive hit notification mails anyway?

As for anonymous note insertion, that is an option I've been thinking about recently. There are good reasons why it has been disabled though.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

I have always appreciated the option "never send me any mail" offered by Where's George. Note that in many cases users with that wish will not be creative or experienced enough to enter a fake email address. I believe this is not the first time this gets mentioned.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the explanation, avij.

Re fake bills, I'm sure you do get some convenience from mandatory accounts, but I suspect not as much as you think. If I wanted to insert fake data (which, just to be clear, I don't) then I'd (via automation) register a separate user for each small batch, so you'd still have to look at IP addresses and other sources of patterns. If I were really serious I'd use a botnet to deny you IP address correlation too. Since it's an obvious idea, it's a good bet that you already have at least one abuser who's using throwaway accounts, and the fact that accounts are mandatory has given you a false sense of security. (To be absolutely clear, again, I do not condone the falsification of data, in fact I abhor it, and I have no specific knowledge of anyone providing false data to EBT.)

Forbidding someone from "missing half the fun" is a strange way to operate. What is "fun" varies from person to person. To answer the "what kind of tracker ..." question, and an earlier comment about "someone that does not want to track his bills ...": there's a distinction here between two types of tracking. One is to take the note data in aggregate and track the notes en masse, producing statistics and overall patterns. The other is to track the progress of individual notes with which one has a personal connection. To me the former is fun but the latter is uninteresting. There's nothing special about notes that have passed through my hands. I'm (in this context) merely one of millions of users of euro notes, a tiny portion of the multinational process of churning these notes.

I came into this thinking that EBT was (like Where's George? appears to be) principally concerned with researching the overall patterns of note flow. That is, that it was about tracking notes in aggregate. It has become clear in this discussion that many (most?) users are more focussed on the personal tracking of particular notes. This is a sociologically interesting situation. I'm tentatively theorising that the reason why a banknote tracking site's top priority is to track humans is because the humans who built it suffer from allism.
Those who disbelieve that an honest person would be uninterested in personal tracking are fully justified of course: no one ever contributes to a collective work without expecting a personal reward.

For the record I do fall into the "outside the Eurozone" category. I'm in the UK, and not in a cash handling occupation. The only banknotes that I handle regularly are sterling-denominated notes issued by the Bank of England. However, if there were a sterling tracker project, I wouldn't want an account on that either. Everything that I've said applies regardless of how frequently I have data to add.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”