how to enter notes?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

TARAPIATAPIOCA
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by TARAPIATAPIOCA »

klapotec wrote:
Marius wrote:maybe there could be a way to disable the hit notification (or you could just ignore/filter any email coming from this domain).
You can set the hit notification to "once per month". That's very little hassle then. :roll:
or give an email address not true... :lol:
eurobilltracker e' un bel gioco,ma chi lo gestisce fa pietà.
e' come tifare per una squadra sportiva con un presidente idiota,contesti,borbotti,ma continui a tifare sperando che il presidente sparisca presto.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

TARAPIATAPIOCA wrote:
klapotec wrote:
Marius wrote:maybe there could be a way to disable the hit notification (or you could just ignore/filter any email coming from this domain).
You can set the hit notification to "once per month". That's very little hassle then. :roll:
or give an email address not true... :lol:
Yes, obviously,

Please register a fake name, with a "dustbin"-hotmailaccount, register fake notes and spoil the joy of everyone untill one of our admins delete your account...

I am really looking forward to this situation ! :lol:
hadibe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hadibe »

TARAPIATAPIOCA wrote:
klapotec wrote:
You can set the hit notification to "once per month". That's very little hassle then.
or give an email address not true...
That may be impossible, I don't actually know.
Create a new address that you simply don't check for new mails. :wink:
TARAPIATAPIOCA
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by TARAPIATAPIOCA »

hadibe wrote:
TARAPIATAPIOCA wrote:
klapotec wrote:
You can set the hit notification to "once per month". That's very little hassle then.
or give an email address not true...
That may be impossible, I don't actually know.
Create a new address that you simply don't check for new mails. :wink:
It's not impossible. :wink:
eurobilltracker e' un bel gioco,ma chi lo gestisce fa pietà.
e' come tifare per una squadra sportiva con un presidente idiota,contesti,borbotti,ma continui a tifare sperando che il presidente sparisca presto.
hadibe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hadibe »

Phaseolus wrote:Please register a fake name, with a "dustbin"-hotmailaccount, register fake notes and spoil the joy of everyone untill one of our admins delete your account...
Okay, anyone may enter fake notes, but how do you know he wants to?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Hi guys, please calm down a little bit. Thanks.

As to the original question, the first time you visit www.eurobilltracker.com you'll get the following text:
EBT wrote:This sounds interesting, how can I participate?

Before you can track your notes you need to create an account and become a member of our community. Use the link Create Account in the menu on the left side. Once you have an account you can start tracking the notes in your wallet right away.

If you'd like to learn more about EBT first, take a tour! >>
I believe this explains adequately the mechanism for entering the notes -- you do indeed need to create an account before you can enter notes.

The hit notification system is a core feature of EBT and it wouldn't work without users giving their email addresses. I, for one, think it's fascinating that EBT sends an email when a note has been found again, potentially several years after the note was initially registered. I'm sorry you don't feel that way, but the website is designed to cater to the needs of the majority of Euro banknote trackers.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.

Post by Guest »

I saw the "Before you can track your notes ..." text, and interpreted it as a reference to notification about notes that one has previously handled. I don't want to track my notes, I just want to add the data about their present location to the database.

Hit notification that can't be turned off is exactly the sort of hassle that I seek to avoid by not registering accounts on websites.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

I believe the moderaotr of this part of the forum could just simply shut down this topic.

Someone that does not want to track his bills should not join a website called euro-bill-tracker ?

discussion finished. :arrow:
ElBarto
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by ElBarto »

Well I think there are quite a few people who have the same opinion like our "guest". I'm not really sure why the possibility of entering notes anonymously has been abolished.

@Phaseolus: If you don't want to contribute something useful to this topic then please just don't write anything at all.
BaliBennie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by BaliBennie »

The question has been answered by Avij.

I would like to add the following:

Visit my homepage to see my statistics, maps and more!

Look at my 5 years statistics

Er gaat niets boven Groningen EBT
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I'm usually a strong advocate of free speech, but if the current trend of name-calling continues I'll be forced to close this topic. Please be civil.

When EBT was launched it was possible to register notes anonymously. However, this approach had a few problems. First of all, the possibility to enter notes anonymously was abused, and figuring out which other notes the abuser had entered was much more difficult. Yes, I know about IP addresses and such, but the HTTP proxies and the changing IP addresses would still be a problem. The second (and arguably the most important) reason was that the users registering notes would miss half the fun, ie. unregistered users won't get the hit notification emails. These were the reasons why the anonymous note entry possibility was removed several years ago.

Most of our users have access to Euro banknotes every day, and for them it makes sense to create a user account. By creating an account they get access to their own personal statistics, such as personal hit maps. If you happen to live outside the Eurozone, it's likely that you won't get access to Euro banknotes that often, and in this case the possibility to enter notes without registering may sound tempting. Unfortunately we can't always please everyone..
ElBarto
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by ElBarto »

Okay, I do understand. Still one question though: Could you make it possible not to get hit notifications at all? I think if a user doesn't want to get emails from EBT this should be possible. If the user wants to know if he has new hits he can look in his "hits" table on the website any time.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Yes, we (the webmasters) can disable hit notification emails to those users who really really don't want any emails from us.
ElBarto
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by ElBarto »

Okay but maybe this should be an option the users can chose in the settings?
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

ElBarto wrote:Okay but maybe this should be an option the users can chose in the settings?
Maybe you should post on the appropriate topic called "famous to do list"... :wink:

To my believe they are more important things to be done on EBT...

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”