Time to clean up some hits?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:44 pm

I only checked a few of the hits, but all are very suspicious. Notes eneterd twice by the same user (thought this wasn't possible anymore?) and a not enetered by an anonymous and a registered user within an hour (this proofs again that it should'n be possible to enter notes anonymous.

Sander

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:36 am

smh wrote: I only checked a few of the hits, but all are very suspicious. Notes eneterd twice by the same user (thought this wasn't possible anymore?) and a not enetered by an anonymous and a registered user within an hour (this proofs again that it should'n be possible to enter notes anonymous.
Emails have been sent about this for about 2 days. I'm waiting for the end of the week.
I have cleaned up the anonymous bill entry though.
It's easy to enter from apparently the same user : give a different email and the same user name.

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:54 pm

It's easy to enter from apparently the same user : give a different email and the same user name.
although you can never get rid of this it would be a good start to not allow the same username

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:54 pm

And again. Two users (or is it just one with 2 names?) eneterd a lot of notes, apparentely just to get hist :evil:

BTW, in the complete lists the last note entered shows on top. Would be more fun if the bills with the most hits would show on top.

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:36 pm

smh wrote: And again. Two users (or is it just one with 2 names?) eneterd a lot of notes, apparentely just to get hist :evil:

BTW, in the complete lists the last note entered shows on top. Would be more fun if the bills with the most hits would show on top.
Ok, been busy with the aggressive behavior of some people... see my sticky post

I'll send an email but it seems like most of those bills have traveled... I think I have a good idea of how to make sure the interesting bills stay at the top of the list :)

BTW, the current bill listed is ordered
i) by # of hits
ii) by descending date order

That's why those notes appear first.

Mardy

Notes entered twice

Post by Mardy » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:58 pm

On march, 24, at least 10 notes were entered twice by the same users, Ad Beiler and Stengel. This caused these notes being Top Notes, incorrect to my opinion.
A solution should be possible to prevent this. :?

Martin

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:26 pm

I'll send an email but it seems like most of those bills have traveled
Nope, i disagree, these notes were given to another user (changed or what ever) or the same user enetered them twice under a different account.
BTW, the current bill listed is ordered
i) by # of hits
ii) by descending date order
It looks like the notes are ordered by date first

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Notes entered twice

Post by EuroBillTracker » Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:14 pm

Mardy wrote: On march, 24, at least 10 notes were entered twice by the same users, Ad Beiler and Stengel. This caused these notes being Top Notes, incorrect to my opinion.
A solution should be possible to prevent this. :?
Mardy,
what would you prevent specifically ? Multiple bills being entered that match exactly another user's? Could you be more precise. Let's put this up for debate.

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:59 pm

It is really hard to prevent, but this case is so obvious....

I realize that it's getting harder and harder to do something about it, but for now, with not to many hit's it should be possible.

There are always people who can't act a little mature (not only for entering the same bills multiple times... guess you know what i'm talking about). :twisted:

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:26 pm

smh wrote: It is really hard to prevent, but this case is so obvious....

I realize that it's getting harder and harder to do something about it, but for now, with not to many hit's it should be possible.
The problem is that policing the site takes a long time with this many bills. I'm going to implement a voting scheme for VIP users soon. So non-interesting bills will be at the back of the list and the incentive to do so will be lower.
I contacted the guys and they have a good story.
My personal bias right now is to alllow it since the bill is being listed as having traveled... and that's what we want to know.
smh wrote: There are always people who can't act a little mature (not only for entering the same bills multiple times... guess you know what i'm talking about). :twisted:
Now now... let's not start that discussion :) It seems like everyone has cooled off for now !

Lapi75
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Lapi75 » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:57 pm

EuroBillTracker wrote:
[Now now... let's not start that discussion :) It seems like everyone has cooled off for now !
Well, maybe now is the right time to handle what I think is a real problem for the credibility of the site !

Within 24 hours, more than 40 hits were made, most of them by the same pair of users.

Even stranger is the fact that the account of the "point of departure" of the bills was created the very same day the hits were recorded.. All seems pretty suspicious to me.

You say the guys have a good story. Ok, then. Let's say I exchange notes (loads of them) with friends around me, would you consider those hits as serious ? I wouldn't.

Well, users, what's your opinion on this point ?

PS : EuroBillTracker : Sorry to read about the way you were attacked ... One thing is sure now : if I ever leave EBT, I won't join FME... 8)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:32 pm

Cheating is always possible and you cannot draw a line between honest and unhonest entries.

My expectation is that a person A enters a note and that this note will go through many hands and then one fine day person B enters the same note again and makes a "hit". But: How much are "many hands"?

I can produce a honest hit just by inviting a friend to go shopping. I would buy items for, say, 100€. I would pay my items first and with 20 5€ bills (or a more sophisticated selection of bills). Then my friend (who has bought for less) would pay his stuff with a 100€ note and get some change, most probably from my registered notes. This case is easy to establish and it fulfills all criteria I can think of for a honest entry. Still it is not what I want.

My only suggestion: If there are multiple hits by a certain pair of users, you only mention their first hit in the list. My expectation is that hits are extremely rare events and that it is very unlikely that 2 certain persons produce more than 1 hit in their whole lifes. Except for the situation you live in a small village and a big fraction of the population are Eurobill Trackers.

A computation for the probability of 2 certain persons producing more than 1 hit requires figures about the number of notes in circulation and the rates, by which the national banks replace old notes with new ones. I would like to know these data. Does anybody know about this?

Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

The Euro Character

Post by Donald » Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:38 pm

I just see that the forum cannot issue the Euro sign. It puts "€" instead. Shame on you!

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:35 am

Anonymous wrote: My only suggestion: If there are multiple hits by a certain pair of users, you only mention their first hit in the list. My expectation is that hits are extremely rare events and that it is very unlikely that 2 certain persons produce more than 1 hit in their whole lifes. Except for the situation you live in a small village and a big fraction of the population are Eurobill Trackers.
Ok, this is something "easy" to enforce. I can probably put it in the site's code too...

BUT...

since the point is still to see how the bills traveled doesn't it make sense to allow them to all be in the database if they have been "moved" ? Let's discuss this point :)

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:33 am

Now now... let's not start that discussion It seems like everyone has cooled off for now !
Thats why i didn't reply in your other post.
Well, maybe now is the right time to handle what I think is a real problem for the credibility of the site !

Within 24 hours, more than 40 hits were made, most of them by the same pair of users.

Even stranger is the fact that the account of the "point of departure" of the bills was created the very same day the hits were recorded.. All seems pretty suspicious to me.

You say the guys have a good story. Ok, then. Let's say I exchange notes (loads of them) with friends around me, would you consider those hits as serious ? I wouldn't.

Well, users, what's your opinion on this point ?
Think i made myself clear and i do agree with lapi
I just see that the forum cannot issue the Euro sign. It puts "€" instead. Shame on you!
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Just use ALT-0128

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”