Distance calculation changed?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Distance calculation changed?

Post by googlejaps »

I noticed that the distance of several hits I got is changed since last week. Is this because the locations of some zipcodes is changed or are there changes in the way the distance is calculated?
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Distance calculation changed?

Post by ravestorm »

Speaking about Italy, 3 weeks ago Italian post decide to make an update.
Smaller cities had a unique zip code (xx100) and now they has been divided in 2 or more zip codes (xx12y).
For example: Ferrara post codes was 44100 and now it's been divided in 4 post codes (44121, 44122, 44123, 44124).
I guess each year there will be such update for a number of locations till all smaller Italian cities will have post codes based on new subdivision.

So i'm entering new coords based on newest zip codes because old coords pointed to the city center.
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Hey ravestorm, was the change before or afther the second day of the WEBTM in Ferrara? Otherwise, I (and others of course) may have to change our entries!
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

Crazy Bob wrote:Hey ravestorm, was the change before or afther the second day of the WEBTM in Ferrara? Otherwise, I (and others of course) may have to change our entries!
On Poste Italiane website i found they are valid from 27.03.2009 (so from the day before W-EBTM) but you can use the old one together with the newest one for six months
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I entered all the notes I got in Italy with the new postcodes, of course. I had no idea they were SO new!

Googlejaps, when some place gets "more important" (for instance because of a hit or a large number of notes) and the plotters for some reason are aware of that, we try to pinpoint the locations to more accurate geocoords according to the specific zipcodes. That's what ravestorm is doing in Italy, what we do in Portugal and I guess it's what every plotter does.
steevec
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by steevec »

Maybe this is the right place for my question:
I did a hit with cramar in July: http://it.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=64113380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : 54 km according ebt.
cramar did a hit in april 2007: http://it.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=26533712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the same cities involved (Udine and Paluzza, so same travel): 76 km according ebt.
What's happened? Paluzza and Udine are little towns with only one zip code each.
Did Udine or Paluzza move 20 km in two years?

Steevec
googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by googlejaps »

steevec wrote: What's happened? Paluzza and Udine are little towns with only one zip code each.
You might have given the answer to your question, looking at the hits there are 2 zip-codes used in Udine, 33100 and 33050.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

googlejaps wrote:
steevec wrote: What's happened? Paluzza and Udine are little towns with only one zip code each.
You might have given the answer to your question, looking at the hits there are 2 zip-codes used in Udine, 33100 and 33050.
And that also explains the rather large distance discrepancy - the postal code for Udine (the city) is 33100, but the profile subsumes some other postal codes which presumably are towns in the Udine province, not Udine itself - if people can't enter locations correctly (33050 should probably be Bagnaria Arsa), then this is the result. :roll:
steevec
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by steevec »

Thanks for your answers. Now I understand why there is a distance difference.
The distance is calculated according the zip code, not the location name.
So, there is something wrong in the zip code (33050) or in the location name (Udine): only stambec92 can clarify, but he's no more active.
bye
Steevec

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”