tinyurl for eurobilltracker.com

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

tinyurl for eurobilltracker.com

Post by emmem »

I thought this was an interesting topic started by Myranya so I decided to make a separate thread about it. So it will be easier to find.
Myranya wrote:...but a website addy is pretty long.
An idea: could we get a very short redirect url, for example a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com to use? That way, instead of www.eurobilltracker.com, which is nice in that it accurately describes the purpose of the site but is also a rather long line, we'd only need to use 'tinyurl.com/1234' It'd also be less clear what it's for, but hey, people are curious by nature so I'm sure quite a lot would check it out!
A useful tip was also added by avij
avij wrote:The www. prefix can be dropped if needed -- eurobilltracker.com works as well. The short domain names are mostly taken by now..
And here is A part of the discussion and where already one URL got added to the internet :)
avij wrote:
eurobillsandcoins wrote:OOOOOOhhhhhhhhh................ What about ebt.com, or ebt.net and so on?
ebt.com is registered to eBusiness Technologies, ebt.net is registered to Entertainment Business & Technology, ebt.org is also registered to someone but looks like it doesn't have a website. ebt.fi is registered to Espoo Basket Team :roll:
On the other hand, try eurobt.net tomorrow to access EBT using a shorter address. It doesn't have a referer number anywhere, so you can use that address without inflating anyone's referer count. I've just registered it so it'll be usable globally most probably tomorrow.
Some more URLs that are still not taken yet: I you want to check if an URL is taken, you can always look it up at internic
Last track:.31-07-2007.:
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

One thing worth mentioning is that if you're going to register some sort of a short URL somewhere, you'd better be prepared to keep that URL available for the next few years -- notes can be "on the road" for several years, and having a non-working URL written on the note is worth nearly nothing.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

I think www.ebt.tk is free too.
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

I've read that the new domain .eu is planned. Someone should make sure to make a reservation for ebt.eu in time since it would be more suitable than any other address.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

avij wrote:One thing worth mentioning is that if you're going to register some sort of a short URL somewhere, you'd better be prepared to keep that URL available for the next few years -- notes can be "on the road" for several years, and having a non-working URL written on the note is worth nearly nothing.
Well, there could be a code in old page what redirects you into new page. I have had that kind of code in my old homepage last 2 years, and nobody really even notice that there is redirecter in that page. I don't even remember my old address anymore, but there it is somewhere.
www: Rahat, postimerkit, wanhat esineet, paikkakuntahistoria, yms...
www: Coins, stamps, old stuff, local history, etc...
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Schaza wrote:Well, there could be a code in old page what redirects you into new page.
I didn't mean that, I meant that if you're registering some .(com|net|org) domain for EBT it'll cost something to have that domain active in the domain registry. So if you stop paying the domain name registration bills in a few years, the domain will simply cease to exist and no redirection is going to help in this case. Of course things might be different for other domains that can be obtained without costs, but there's the downside that the organization supplying those free addresses might cease its operations and the URL may stop functioning because of that. And since the bills (at least the bigger ones) can be in circulation for more than 5 years, it'd be nice if the URL written on the note worked.

BTW, I think your sig doesn't work properly.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

avij wrote:
Schaza wrote:Well, there could be a code in old page what redirects you into new page.
I didn't mean that, I meant that if you're registering some .(com|net|org) domain for EBT it'll cost something to have that domain active in the domain registry. So if you stop paying the domain name registration bills in a few years, the domain will simply cease to exist and no redirection is going to help in this case. Of course things might be different for other domains that can be obtained without costs, but there's the downside that the organization supplying those free addresses might cease its operations and the URL may stop functioning because of that. And since the bills (at least the bigger ones) can be in circulation for more than 5 years, it'd be nice if the URL written on the note worked.

BTW, I think your sig doesn't work properly.
Right, i didn't think about that reality... domains costs. :oops:

What you mean with that my sig isn't working?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Schaza wrote:What you mean with that my sig isn't working?
Is your sig supposed to look like this:
Schaza wrote:Kiinnostaako numismatia? Katso www!
Intersted about numismatics? Check www!
There's also a typo, I think it should be interested (and interested in?), but I'm mostly wondering about the "Katso www!" part.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

Ok, there was typo, because keyboard in my very old laptop isn't working ok... my english isn't good... and because it wasn't word-to-word translation, there was "katso"="check", but now it fixed with totally new word. :)
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I don't get it -- is there supposed to be a link to somewhere in your sig or not? At least there isn't one at the moment and that is what I was wondering about. The typos and grammar errors weren't the ones I was concerned about.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

Look below my sig... there is nice button for it. :D
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Ah ok, now it makes sense. Thanks and sorry.
Schaza
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Schaza »

Don't :cry: , i didn't :evil: .

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”