Post by ErGo »

I think, this is the mentioned bridge :wink: :lol:
Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: Maps tell so much

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny »

androl wrote:
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:The map of 2 euro coin is interesting in this respect. We can see there not much more than one third of Finland on the map. Most of the Eastern Finland and all the Northern Finland do not exist according to this map - at least not as part of EU.
- -
on the first one, whole Finland is there, and on the second, no borders are drawed, but I think all of Finland, along with parts of Russia, is on the map. - -
Sorry, but you are wrong, dear androl.

Check this map of Finland and try to put it on the map of any 2 euro coin (old or new, on brass or steel-like part), please.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mfinland.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No need to carve it there as you can not do it on every 2 euro coin even if you tried.

Yours

P Woo enpen

PS. Thanks to this very enlightenig conversation I now know that the lighter colour of the Northernmost Finland on 5 euro note (even lighter colour as on Turkey) does not mean that EU is planning a tax free zone up there in Lapland.

By the way, why not?

Merry Xmas everybody and don't take "it" too seriously!

enp
merkur2
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by merkur2 »

Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:
androl wrote:
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:The map of 2 euro coin is interesting in this respect. We can see there not much more than one third of Finland on the map. Most of the Eastern Finland and all the Northern Finland do not exist according to this map - at least not as part of EU.
- -
on the first one, whole Finland is there, and on the second, no borders are drawed, but I think all of Finland, along with parts of Russia, is on the map. - -
Sorry, but you are wrong, dear androl.

Check this map of Finland and try to put it on the map of any 2 euro coin (old or new, on brass or steel-like part), please.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mfinland.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No need to carve it there as you can not do it on every 2 euro coin even if you tried.

Yours

P Woo enpen

PS. Thanks to this very enlightenig conversation I now know that the lighter colour of the Northernmost Finland on 5 euro note (even lighter colour as on Turkey) does not mean that EU is planning a tax free zone up there in Lapland.

By the way, why not?

Merry Xmas everybody and don't take "it" too seriously!

enp
It's a scandal to cut off an immense part of Finland on the €-coins. I'd suggest to make all coins square-shaped. This would make more space and allow the country to present itself in full size.

The 5€ notes:
The mystery of Finland's most northern part designed in bright colour is as follows: It's the area of permanent snow, the land of the reindeer and the home of Santa Claus.

Merry Christmas
merkur2
Last edited by merkur2 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

merkur2 wrote:
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote: Sorry, but you are wrong, dear androl.

It's a scandal to cut off an immense part of Finland on the €-coins.
which parts are you missing?
all of Finland fits on the map (+/- some pixels depending on sizing/rotating of the maps)

not Finland, but the northern part of Norway is missing!
Attachments
finnland.jpg
finnland.jpg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny »

androl wrote:
merkur2 wrote:
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote: Sorry, but you are wrong, dear androl.

It's a scandal to cut off an immense part of Finland on the €-coins.
which parts are you missing?
all of Finland fits on the map (+/- some pixels depending on sizing/rotating of the maps)

not Finland, but the northern part of Norway is missing!
Thank You, androl, for your masterful work on maps. They are close enough to do, as we not taking the borders too seriously, are we?

Would it be too much to ask if you also draw the coin decided boarder between the Golden Finland and the Silver Finland on your map, please.

It would be so nice to show your map to all friends of mine who happen to live on the wrong side. Which one is the wrong one? It's up to you.

Did you know that such a long time ago our President Urho Kekkonen (called Urkki) and the contemporaous President of the Soviet Union used to have good relationships and they skied, went to sauna and drank a lot of vodka together as I have been told when I was young. According to the news agengy of the horse men, once President Kekkonen kindly asked if all the Eastern Carelia that Finland gave to Russia after the World War 2 could to given back to Finland and the Soviet President said "hey c'moon Urkki lets erase the whole boarder away between our two frienly nations". What did Kekkonen say to this proposal? Of course he said "No thank you, as I'm too old a man to rule such a large nation from Helsinki to Vladivostok".

Just a joke, but some people in Northern and Eastern Finland take boarders more seriously than you do there in the Western and Central Europe.

Besides, what would the map of 2 euro coin look like if Urkki answered "yes"? Western Europe would look so so so small in deed on the 2 euro coin map.

P W enpen
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:as we not taking the borders too seriously, are we?

some people in Northern and Eastern Finland take boarders more seriously than you do
well, the shapes of all the countries are just an approximation, just compare the correctness of the euro map to the maps on these two coins, they are also both not wholly correct down to 0.1 mm, and still they call the one "wrong" and the other "correct"

and in comparison to the parts of Finland that are behind the approximated borderline, the parts of Germany and France that are hidden behind the gigantic "EU" are immense!
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:Would it be too much to ask if you also draw the coin decided boarder between the Golden Finland and the Silver Finland on your map, please
here you are, have fun
Attachments
finnland2.jpg
finnland2.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 5 Euro notes

Post by Phaseolus »

Well, if you look at the coins, you will see that some countries disappear under the letters of the word "EURO"... It's also unfair...

only Spain, Portugal and UK are well-minted...

:mrgreen:

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”