Rubber Stamps 4 this site

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

Barabba

Post by Barabba » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:29 am

1) Just for curiosity I checked the price for a single-line rubber stamp ("timbro", in Italian) to mark the notes with the URL of this site. Price range from 9-12$ for self-inking and 4-5$ for normal stamp (shipping fees not included). You may question if it's the case of pay USD ($) to track Euro (€) bills but I could not find a supplier in Europe.
The question if it's legal or not to mark the bills is covered in another discussion which -as far as I understand- ends up with a "Do it at your own risk". I do not do it, for example..

2) Webmaster may also contact a supplier of such stamps. By placing an banner on this site he can get paid for any refererence (click) to the supplier's site for all users interested in buying a stamp. Unfortunately the Webmaster would be explicitly involved in promoting an *ILLEGAL* activity (marking bills) but making some money can possibly be the ultimate purpose -say "collateral effect"- of mantaining this site..

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:23 pm

Barabba wrote: The question if it's legal or not to mark the bills is covered in another discussion which -as far as I understand- ends up with a "Do it at your own risk". I do not do it, for example..
We just learned it is actually not illegal to mark bills with the URL of the site. One of our users got confirmation from the ECB. See http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/press/bce_email.txt
See my latest post in the annoucement board :)

I just wish people don't mess up the bills, they're still nice !
activity (marking bills) but making some money can possibly be the ultimate purpose -say "collateral effect"- of mantaining this site..
Well, since it turns out not to be illegal I guess I should do that.

I'll take the opportunity of your comments to broach on the money subject. I guess, some of you have been wondering about this. If I wanted to make some money, I've really chosen a bad way :) Let me explain why.

- a domain name is about 15 euros a year
- hosting is currently around 70 euros a year plus setup fees of 14 euros
so right now I'm spending around 85 euros in cash for the site (+14 this year)
- the banner you see at the top of the screen earns me 0.11 euros a "real" click, I expect I'm about the only one clicking on ads from time to time given the poor revenue it's generating. I'm basically breaking even for the year right now. I expect I'll have to move up to a 200 euro hosting plan around the end of the year because we're already at 20-30% of the limit on the number of hits per day on the current plan. Then, I'll hardly break even at all.
- if you count in all the time I spend on the site, it's in the hundreds of hours since december.

So... if I was trying to make money, I would change jobs or sell my skills instead of just using them :) I'm really just doing it because it's fun !

So yeah, maybe I'll try to become an affliate with a rubber-stamp company (if you send me an email with what you found that would be great) and thus make sure the site runs forever and everybody has fun knowing where their bills travel...

Hope this clears things up. If you want more info, let me know.

Barabba

Post by Barabba » Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:58 pm

Very funny!! So I'ts not illegal. The only problem is that you may invalidate the bills with a big marking on it.
Being less euros in circulation the value of the euro as curreny increases ( :idea: tonight I'll burn out a bunch of 500€ bill just to test this theory).
In other words invalidating a bill is bad for your personal economy but good for BCE!

__
Eurobill: For the stamps go to
http://www.stampman.com/, follow link "Webmaster get paid.." and best luck!
Sorry for not sending you a mail on this, i'm just in a hurry.. You can delete this part of the msg if you want..

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by smh » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:17 am

- if you count in all the time I spend on the site, it's in the hundreds of hours since december.
Maybe you should start thinking about getting someone to help you out with some simple tasks.

EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by EuroBillTracker » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:02 pm

smh wrote: Maybe you should start thinking about getting someone to help you out with some simple tasks.
Yep.. I've been doing that thank god ! I've got a couple people working on translation, craco is responsible for the board, someone is writing the next newsletter. I got flags and banknote graphics from some of the users...
And I'm glad I did it too :) Some people have put the link up on their page, have posted about the site in forums or blogs, etc... I couldn't have done all this alone !

I've asked for people to do some banners and graphics too.

BTW, if you have some time to help, send me an email and let me know what kind of stuff you can do. Then I'll see how we can organize ourselves...

I believe the best projects are those that are able to decentralize and I'm working on that. I hope to have this voting scheme for some chosen users to put the most intersting bill hits at the top of the main hit list. I hope to be able to create a sort of admin interface where trusted users can do some admin stuff such as remove bills, etc... But that all takes time :)

Comments ?

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”