Re: And the Antarctica?

Post by maarsy »

what if one astronaut would change notes with another one
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Jes wrote: please, just let me know when are you going... I may go with you too :roll: :o
Ok :D
BaliBennie wrote:When you enter a note from a Polar Base you have to enter it in the country who operates the base.
When you obtain notes outside a base you should look who has a territorial claim on that part of Antarctica.
These two options entirety don't have sense: also the bases are where someone has a territorial claim on that part of Antarctica.
eddydevries wrote:
BaliBennie wrote:When you enter a note from a Polar Base you have to enter it in the country who operates the base.
There's a very smal problem with it, I see.

On the map posted by ART, I find a base operated by two countries: Concordia (at the right bottom corner) is operated by :flag-fr: as well as :flag-it: .
I don't know if it's true, but to me it's logical there won't be a border drawn through the base ("one side of the base is French, the other side is Italian").
Because this base is operated by two €-countries, it is possible one would get a note there.
Where would you enter this note?
:flag-fr: Concordia base or :flag-it: Concordia base?
In fact with the criterion suggested by BaliBennie it would be impossible: Concordia is jointly managed from Italy and France with staff of both the states, and it's found in the Australian Antarctic Territory (even if the letter of the link in my previous thread is postmarked with stamps of the TAAF, because the base uses the mail service of the TAAF). According to the criterion suggested by me it would have to be traced in "nation" Australian Antarctic Territory and "city" Dome C, official name of Concordia base.
doiknow wrote: 3. EBT declares to be the only legal owner of the Antartics and finally declares independence. The Board of Directors will than be the official legislative of Antartica. The BoD than opts the Euro to be the official currency in the Antartics. This won't create any trouble with Argentina, Chile or Australia. They simply need to enter the A2E to get some voting rights. Like this we would be able to run EBT without any fundraising. :lol: 8)
AMAZING idea! :mrgreen:
maarsy wrote:what if one astronaut would change notes with another one
International territory, or since in every module of the base are into effect the laws of the country that it has supplied could be traced in the country of the module in which you have obtained the note.
European soul, European pride.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

maarsy wrote:what if one astronaut would change notes with another one
For this, EBT has a clear answer :wink: :
Rules & Guidelines wrote:Notes received on flights, trains, ferries, etc.
In such a case, you should not enter the note as originating from the city you just passed by when you got it. (This might be very difficult to determine on a boat or a flight anyway.) Take either the last stop or your destination instead.
So they should enter the notes with the location of their base.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

eddydevries wrote:
BaliBennie wrote:When you enter a note from a Polar
Where would you enter this note?
:flag-fr: Concordia base or :flag-it: Concordia base?
I would flip a coin. Honestly.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

ART wrote:In my opinion also these territories would have to be inserted in the database...
When I have proposed this I had not realized that the EBT database of the nations contain no dipendent territory of the world, would have to add them.
European soul, European pride.
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow »

EBT has to offer more than 'cities' and 'countries':

First we add a country named 'Antartica'*.
Than we add some sectors as 2nd level administrative divisions.
As 3rd level divisions we could include the bases.
The city level finally refers to the 'buildings' at that base.

I'd hope the citymanagers can cope with that :roll:
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
Ilu

Post by Ilu »

I was on the Antarctica last December.
And I did business in the post office/shop at Port Lockroy.
They accepted Euros but I didn't get any change.
Maybe luckily so, because I wouldn't like to report those bills received in England!
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

While browsing the Wheresgeorge Forum spotted this about the territory of discussion here, so I figured I'd give this thread the proverbial bump:

The people at Where's George/Willy count Antarctica as a country, the stations as towns. No distinction is made between American and non-American stations.

Here's a bill that traveled from Alaska to there (purple fields denote non-American territories):

https://www.wheresgeorge.com/b:9vYbNCelZ&h
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:10 pm The people at Where's George/Willy count Antarctica as a country, the stations as towns. No distinction is made between American and non-American stations.

Here's a bill that traveled from Alaska to there (purple fields denote non-American territories):

https://www.wheresgeorge.com/b:9vYbNCelZ&h
I think noone has tried to track Euros in McMurdo Station yet... but there are 16 notes entered here. As for Antarctica being counted as a country... this would be an ad hoc decision (as it obviously was at wheresgeorge), as it is a whole continent, but not a country. When there really is need for it, which I doubt will be soon, something can certainly be arranged.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”