And the Antarctica?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

And the Antarctica?

Post by ART »

After an argument a doubt is risen me: how to do if someone obtain notes in an Antarctic scientific base?

The answer apparently more logic is to trace with the criterion of nationality of the bases, but there's a problem. There are some countries that claimed parts of Antarctica, even if the clamations are formally "frozen" from the treaty that regulated the human presence in Antarctica and they aren't recognized from many countries.

The sectors are:

- British Antarctic Territory (claimed contemporaneously and with mutual overlap from Argentina and Chile, that they consider it a simple extension of their national territory)
- Ross Dependency (New Zealand)
- Australian Antarctic Territory
- Terres australes et antarctiques françaises (French australis and antarctic lands)
- Queen Maud Land (Norway)

And an unclaimed sector conventionally attributed to the USA but that they refuse to consider their because in general they don't accept any territorial claim (even if they're reserved eventually to change idea in the future ).

In my opinion also these territories would have to be inserted in the database...
Last edited by ART on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
European soul, European pride.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: And the Antarctica?

Post by Jes »

Are you planning to go there so as to get notes? :mrgreen:
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

Perhaps this rule applies:
Notes received on flights, trains, ferries, etc.
In such a case, you should not enter the note as originating from the city you just passed by when you got it. (This might be very difficult to determine on a boat or a flight anyway.) Take either the last stop or your destination instead.
In that case you'd have to use the base/airport from where you fly to the Antarctic. (For example: I once read all flights to the station exactly at the south pole are from New Zealand.)

Adding it to the database would be useless, as I find it very unlikely any notes will be entered there. Or should we also have "countries" like this one?
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow »

Well let's be honest. Who would enter his notes from Antartica as received in Cape Town, South Africa or Chruchhill, New Zealand or even Argentina? I guess none will do so. So let's find a reasonable solution. I'd think we should include political neutral territories here at EBT. The point that noone will use them is an argument, but North Korea exists as well. They don't have internet to use this site... Antartica does have internet access and there are sites as well, although most probaply not hosted in Antartica. The TLD is .aq.
For example this one: https://www.comnap.aq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Well show me a North Korean Website...)

My solution: Let's include Antartica as 'Political Neutral Territory of Antartica'. This would fix the problem.

The ISS is a 'plane' and hence the notes received there have to be entered as originating from Baikonur or Cape Caneveral. (But let's be honest - who would do so?)
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

doiknow wrote:This would fix the problem.
Frankly, which real world problem?
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

If I ever went to Antarctica and got notes from there, I would enter them choosing the country in whose area I consider myself to be and writing the name of the base as the "city". The coördinate people would then put the dot in the correct place.
Anyway, something like this is almost sure never to happen. But then again, there is (was?) a HospitalityClub user hosting in Antarctica. They don't have that many users, either.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
rlaurenssen
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by rlaurenssen »

Dakkus wrote: The coördinate people would then put the dot in the correct place.
That also creates one small problem, Antartica is not vissible on the world map. :wink:
It is vissible on the Google version tough.

Also there are boats for tourists that go to the antartics, leaving from Argentina, however they do not
visit the bases around the continent, so the only life you would see are probably pinguins :lol:.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Jes wrote:Are you planning to go there so as to get notes? :mrgreen:
Hee hee... to go in Antarctica is one of my greater dreams and sooner or later I know that it went really :mrgreen:
R/J wrote:In that case you'd have to use the base/airport from where you fly to the Antarctic. (For example: I once read all flights to the station exactly at the south pole are from New Zealand.)
It's a different case, I talk about notes directly received in Antarctica, from stores, post offices or associates, that they can origin also from another antarctic base.
R/J wrote:Adding it to the database would be useless, as I find it very unlikely any notes will be entered there.
Not so sure...
Antarctica is a place relatively very attended from researchers and tourists, therefore isn't impossible that some tracker (me at first :mrgreen: ) sooner or later goes.
doiknow wrote:My solution: Let's include Antartica as 'Political Neutral Territory of Antartica'. This would fix the problem
Not quite so much: "political neutral territory" is definable the unclaimed sector, also formally part of no country in the world, but the rest has a precise political status, even if the nations with territorial claims pretend to want the neutrality. Even Chile and Argentina consider their sectors as national territory, simple province just like others.
Dakkus wrote:If I ever went to Antarctica and got notes from there, I would enter them choosing the country in whose area I consider myself to be
This is inexact, because the sectors (excluding the case of Chile and Argentina in their point of views) are dependencies of the countries and not national territory.
rlaurenssen wrote:Also there are boats for tourists that go to the antartics, leaving from Argentina, however they do not
visit the bases around the continent, so the only life you would see are probably pinguins :lol:.
No, often there are also visits of the tourists to bases.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Some information in order to understand at best the situation: independently of the political situation of the territories, in Antarctica there are some bases of EMU states.

And in largest there are stores and post offices.
The TAAF (French australis and antarctic lands) besides a dedicate mail service have also a public telephone service.

http://philadelie.free.fr/20-12-05_Marina.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moreover the Euro is generally accepted on the tourist ships in Antarctica.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

ART wrote:
Jes wrote:Are you planning to go there so as to get notes? :mrgreen:
Hee hee... to go in Antarctica is one of my greater dreams and sooner or later I know that it went really :mrgreen:
please, just let me know when are you going... I may go with you too :roll: :o
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
BaliBennie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by BaliBennie »

When you enter a note from a Polar Base you have to enter it in the country who operates the base.
When you obtain notes outside a base you should look who has a territorial claim on that part of Antarctica.

Please ask us again whenever you find a eurobill lying on the snow of an unclaimed part of Antarctica... :lol:
Visit my homepage to see my statistics, maps and more!

Look at my 5 years statistics

Er gaat niets boven Groningen EBT
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

BaliBennie wrote:When you enter a note from a Polar Base you have to enter it in the country who operates the base.
When you obtain notes outside a base you should look who has a territorial claim on that part of Antarctica.

Please ask us again whenever you find a eurobill lying on the snow of an unclaimed part of Antarctica... :lol:
There's a very smal problem with it, I see.

On the map posted by ART, I find a base operated by two countries: Concordia (at the right bottom corner) is operated by :flag-fr: as well as :flag-it: .
I don't know if it's true, but to me it's logical there won't be a border drawn through the base ("one side of the base is French, the other side is Italian").
Because this base is operated by two €-countries, it is possible one would get a note there.
Where would you enter this note?
:flag-fr: Concordia base or :flag-it: Concordia base?
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow »

As it seems highly necessary to find a solution for the Antartics here are some more attempts:

1. The South Pole was first visited by a norwegian. Hence the whole continent is norwegian.

2. We choose a simple solution: Every part of the antartics belongs to the country operating nearest* station. If that station is operated by more than one country it belongs to the country holding the majority of shares as of January 1st 2011.

3. EBT declares to be the only legal owner of the Antartics and finally declares independence. The Board of Directors will than be the official legislative of Antartica. The BoD than opts the Euro to be the official currency in the Antartics. This won't create any trouble with Argentina, Chile or Australia. They simply need to enter the A2E to get some voting rights. Like this we would be able to run EBT without any fundraising. :lol: 8)

I personally prefer option 1 and 3. At least 3 would be in accordance with our mission statement:
EuroBillTracker (EBT) is an international non-profit volunteer team dedicated to tracking Euro notes around the world.[...]
EuroBillTracker is in no way affiliated with the European Union, the European Central Bank, national central banks or other financial institutions. Using EBT is completely free.
Thus Antartica shouldn't enter the EU...
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

doiknow wrote:As it seems highly necessary to find a solution for the Antartics
Oh, does it?
doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow »

Couldn't find the <irony> tags here. Something we need to add here..

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”