Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Lier
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Banknote that returned to me...

Post by Lier »

Dear all,

To my suprise I noticed that a "new" banknote I was entering was allready entered by me.. But the thing is: Its a new one, I just got it from a shop in my home town.. and I am 100% sure about it... meaning its a note I once used myself to pay and now, 1 month later I got it back...

Anyone else here ever had this?

I can not re-enter it, because its says I allready entered it.. but this is a real "new" one and not some banknote I entered a few days ago and tried to re-enter again today.
CNGL
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Banknote that returned to me...

Post by CNGL »

This is called a "Boomerang-hit". I had it twice, both with a couple :note-10:s that I registered in December and returned to me the first in February and the second earlier this month: https://es.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=104690538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can edit the comment to "re-register" the banknote, you can edit all notes you haven't edited yet when you get at 100 notes.
Leudimin: EBT FTW!
Basque euronotes: :note-5: Bost euro - :note-10: Hamar euro - :note-20: Hogei euro - :note-50: Berrogeita hamar euro - :note-100: Ehun euro - :note-200: Berrehun euro - :note-500: Bostehun euro
jonman
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by jonman »

yeah, that’s called a boomerang hit. depending on your tracking habits and on the cash flow of your area you can have either more or less of them. to me it happened once so far.
it’s cool on the one hand to see where the bill travels (or where it doesn’t travel) in the meantime and to know that you’ve had this bill in your hands before, on the other hand you can’t re-enter this bill, and all that remains (from what was to be a new note entry) is changing the bill’s comment. :wink:
My profile
22.9.14 90. :note-200: entered
9.9.14 50. :note-500: entered
17.8.14 300. hit occured
12.8.14 550. :note-100: entered
28.7.14 5000. :note-10: entered
16.11.13 3 years of EBT
10.9.13 25000. note entered
30.7.13 15000. :note-5: entered
23.7.13 2500. :note-20: entered
7.2.13 1000. :note-50: entered
Lier
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Lier »

I see what you guys mean.

Too bad there isnt a system to enter it again.. it would be much nicer.
But I'll edit the comment then I think.
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

As a bigger user on EBT I have received dozens of boomerang hits already. Most of them within a few weeks. But some came back to me after two or three years. In about three cases it was found back by someone else in the mean time. I always edit the comment after I get a boomerang hit.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

I am not tracking notes in a large number, but I think this goes into this topic:
A couple of weeks ago, I have been at my grandparents, and as tracker, I tracked all notes I got (nothing that should wonder anybody :mrgreen: ). As the new :note-5: are very common in the :flag-de: Rhine-Main-area, I wanted to see how many old and new :note-5: I get during the 10 days. In the end, I got 24 new ones and just 8 old ones. But within those 8 old were 2 boomerang hits :evil: ! One note entered by me in autumn 2012 and the other one in the end of June 2013. I could not believe it. There could have been so many other old :note-5: I could receive, but no, I just got my ones :twisted: .

At least, as a side effect, I knew that these two survived, but how long will they be in circulation??? I would give them one or two months, then they`ll disappear. Now I write the EBT address on every old :note-5: I get, and will spend them before Christmas this year. Maybe I can get an early present :D .
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
EuroNederweert
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by EuroNederweert »

It happened to me several times.
Most recent one: today.

I'm working in a shop and entering the notes there. And 20 minutes ago I received a note I already entered 2 hours ago. :lol:
EBT name changed in Montfort
philgelico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Arras, France - Voiron, France - Lido di Dante, Italy

Post by philgelico »

it happened to me several times ( more or less 1/2000 registered notes )
Surely, it's more frequent in small towns, and/or if you don't travel so much.
And when it happens, i have this strange behaviour : i keep this banknote for some days, and i spread it away when I move to a remote place, to be 99.99999% sure that i won't get this banknote again in my hands...
Si tu veux voler avec les aigles, éloigne-toi des paons. (proverbe d'origine inconnue)
千里之行 始于足下, proverbe chinois
اتَّكَلْنا منه على خُصٍّ الاتحاد قوة, proverbe arabe
ספר המעשיות: כולל אגדות וסיפורים מתוך קובץ כ"י ישן, proverbe sanskrit
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

EuroNederweert wrote:I'm working in a shop and entering the notes there. And 20 minutes ago I received a note I already entered 2 hours ago. :lol:
:lol: That's hilarious.
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

i have 134 boomerang hits trough normal circulation and then i have 400 - 500 notes that i deposited at an atm and got back from the same place and the next town by the hundreds 2 months later
Dioniz
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Dioniz »

I distinguish 3 different categories of "boomerang hits" (BH):

- BH I get at my work. Notes that circulate in a house or I enter them twice or more accidentaly: a few hundreds until now (range: from 1 day to appx. 2 months);
- BH I got a few years ago. Notes I left in a bank or in a post office and found again in some other bank in my town: 3 of this kind until now (range: 6-22 days);
- REAL BH: 2 of this kind until now: 1.) 160 days and 2.) 909 days. See comments.
My profile & EBTST & Hit-dots map
Hits: 616x :flag-si:, 277x :flag-at:, 52x :flag-de:, 24x :flag-it:, 10x :flag-nl:, 7x :flag-be:, 5x :flag-fi:, 5x :flag-sk:, 3x :flag-fr:, 1x :flag-ee:, 1x :flag-gr:, 1x :flag-hr:, 1x :flag-lt:, 1x :flag-pt:, 1x :flag-es:, 1x ME, 1x :flag-at: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-be:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-fr: :flag-de:
Flightdiary & Where's George?
sorbix
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by sorbix »

Big surprise when I entered a €20 note and it said I registered it already in....2013! It must have been floating around in the same area in France because it turned up there again! Gonna register it with other comment and maybe it turns up again somewhere else....that would be the day....This makes tracking worth while.....;)
sinehera
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by sinehera »

In such cases we always add to the comment the phrase "wieder bekommen" (got again) plus Information, where and when we got that bill again - up to now, we had 1.209 such commented boomerang-bills (one out of 346 notes, 0,29% of all notes entered by us), including lots of notes, that we had entered in one place and got them again in another place, sometimes quite far away.

Greetings from Linz
sine & hera
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

:roll: when u get 400 boomerang hits in a matter of days i tend to neglect to change all the comments
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Today I get one :note-10: from my grandma. She had got it from animal stuff shop today, and I was really surprised when I saw that I had entered it five days ago. 8O My father used the note maybe somewhere in the same part of city, but it's still rare to get just that note back to you.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”