Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Euros & EBT-ing in China

Post by Asiamaniac »

Hello everybody,

time to make my User name come true again: My girl friend and me go to Asia again; this time to China. What are you personal experiences with cash money over there? My banks advises me to take dollars rather than Euro :cry: . And exchanging Renminbi into Euro and back is said to be not as easy as in other countries with other currencies.

Have you been to Mainland China already? What are your advices and suggestions about handling money and doing some Eurobill tracking?

Thank you very much so far in advance.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Euros & EBT-ing in China

Post by Jes »

Asiamaniac wrote:Hello everybody,

time to make my User name come true again: My girl friend and me go to Asia again; this time to China. What are you personal experiences with cash money over there? My banks advises me to take dollars rather than Euro :cry: . And exchanging Renminbi into Euro and back is said to be not as easy as in other countries with other currencies.

Have you been to Mainland China already? What are your advices and suggestions about handling money and doing some Eurobill tracking?

Thank you very much so far in advance.
around two years ago I landed in Beijing's International Airport and I found a cash exchange wich had various :note-500: 8O

Of course it may be better to go with dollar bills, but I didn't find a single problem with euro cash (notes).

btw: you can also register notes in whereisgeorge :mrgreen: (just joking)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Thank you, yes, for a first advice. Honestly, I am indeed not going to exchange :note-500: That is a bit too high for me. I have my money in US-TCs. One question: Are they touchy about the state of Euro-bills? Must they be new? I remember the horrors back in the 1990s in Indonesia, when foreign bills had to be as clean as fresh-washed clothes, while the Rupiahs were very often in a dire condition. Yes, and when I told my bank that we travel via Poland to China, they told me that the Polish do not handle Eurobills that do not look fresh.

So, how is it in China? Must we make a fuss about brandnew Eurobills to be taken along, too?
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Asiamaniac wrote:Thank you, yes, for a first advice. Honestly, I am indeed not going to exchange :note-500: That is a bit too high for me. I have my money in US-TCs. One question: Are they touchy about the state of Euro-bills? Must they be new? I remember the horrors back in the 1990s in Indonesia, when foreign bills had to be as clean as fresh-washed clothes, while the Rupiahs were very often in a dire condition. Yes, and when I told my bank that we travel via Poland to China, they told me that the Polish do not handle Eurobills that do not look fresh.

So, how is it in China? Must we make a fuss about brandnew Eurobills to be taken along, too?
Actually I was such a little time in China that I cannot give you advice on that... (I went 2 weeks to Japan in order to attend some a course, some lectures, etc). But were I you... I would go with banknotes in "not too bad" condition. (Just in case!)
Anyway: I hope someone else may give you further advice ;)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Thank you so far. Well, I always take only better bills with me when I go abroad, alone for the end to increase hit opportunities. Yes, I hope, too, that some more people can come up with advice.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

maybe you should not believe the cliché's of your bank.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

That's why I am asking, getting some information from different people. By the way, have YOU got some first-hand experience from China?
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Well, anyway, am already packing my backpack right now and look forward to our trip.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

Asiamaniac wrote:That's why I am asking, getting some information from different people. By the way, have YOU got some first-hand experience from China?
No, but I might go in November... let's wait and see.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Good luck for November, then. Be sure to find our first-hand-experiences here as we certainly do not ask only, but we will also share our experiences with the community.
debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by debemaks »

Here I am! I've been to China 5 times for business (among those 3 times to HK and 1 to Macau).
I have to say that in Beijing Airport you can pay at duty free with Euro and you can have euro as change.
At shops it depends if they have change back or not.
I use to have the same trick everytime: Ask to clerk at Duty free or exchange offices if they need fivers or tenners in exchange or viceversa.
Sometimes they stare at you suspiciously. Most of the time they say no, but in few cases they accept.
I did so at Zhuhai Ferry terminal without any problem.
Same at HK Ferry terminal, once they accepted and twice not, to exchange a :note-50: into smaller note.
In Macau airport (MFM) no chance to have any euro exchanged unless I changed back MOP into EUR.
At HKIA (HKG) same situation like Beijing.
In short. Downtown it has been almost impossible to get euro (at Silk Market in Beijing they accepted euro and gave back CNY as change!!), at main airport you should get something!

Enjoy your stay!!!

PS: I've been to WAW airport as well, I was able to exchange :note-50: into smaller pieces at the old terminal facilities exchanging at "exchange money". As I suppose you won't exit from departure hall, at duty free they accept euro (so same trick to exchanged) and give euro as changeback.
I can't remembar the matter about the brand new notes... but for sure brand new ones are better then used ones to the eyes of people not very used to EUR (this last for every foreign people!).
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Ciao debemaks,

thank you for sharing your experiences. Our destinations will be Beijing, Shanghai, Dandong and Suzhou. I guess as well that in the capital's airport it should not be a problem to get bills, while downtown... And I wonder about the other places. But anyway, it is good hints for which we thank you. And stay tuned, after our trip we will share our experiences for your benefits.
Joc
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Joc »

Hello,
I have been in China and managed to get Euro's from Beijing and Guilin airports, + from a large Bank of China branch in Beijing center. Always using the same trick = come with a :note-500: and ask politely to change 400 in CNY and get 100 EUR back. I was showing a written note "is it possible 400->CNY + 100->EUR back ? thank you" to overcome the language barrier. Exchange rate was not bad, it's fixed by the state so you don't get robbed. I don't see much point in taking Traveller's Cheques.
krakauer
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by krakauer »

Actually the official EUR to CNY exchange rate in China (available here: http://www.boc.cn/sourcedb/whpj/enindex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is not so great. When travelling around China last summer it made more sense for me to bring cash in US dollars than euros (I come from a non-eurozone country).
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Wise idea! I still prefer traveller cheques which even in countries like Indonesia never posed a problem. In China, they are unable to handle these properly. Inside and outside Beijing, in the large cities, it takes up to 1,5 hours to have this matter settled. Can spoil your whole planning for the day, and if you are a member of a travel group, the other travelmates will love you for that!

Bringing some cash or using (prepaid) credit cards are better options for China.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”