To mark or not to mark?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Eni

To mark or not to mark?

Post by Eni » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:13 pm

At first I did not agree with marking but after entering 700 notes and still not getting a hit I decided to mark mu notes with the website address. Finally after entering about 150 more notes I got a hit!!! It was so satisfying so now I would definitely reccommend marking notes, it gets results if you are looking for a hit. I only mark aboout 5% of mu notes.

Ernst
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Ernst » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:30 pm

I also entered notes at first with never marking them. As you I remained hitless and started marking old and damaged notes. But that hasn´t delivered me any hits. Instead I have had two hits with unmarked notes. So I remain a little bit unconvinced about exactly how successful marking is.
Your notes might be in circulation less time as central banks withdraw "damaged" notes and there are also some users here who think it is not appropriate to mark notes.
In any case I would only mark notes that are already written on or otherwise damaged, but in the end thats something everyone has to decide for himself. But it would be nice to document marked notes in the comment field. That way everyone can distinguish the truly coincidential hits....

wirthi
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by wirthi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:45 pm

I would never ever mark a note. That simply makes it destroyed faster.

With 700 notes it would be likely that you make a hit but it's not necessary. Check the differend threads in this forum discussing how many notes one needs on average for his first hit. IIRC you need about 800 notes for one hit so .... you just have to be patient.

bocky
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bocky » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:53 pm

I have marked about 10 of my 810 notes, as I wanted to know if anyone would follow the URL. I have now 2 hits, and none of them was marked. :?

Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 am

I have marked a few notes, but only really old ones, ripped ones or ones with writing already on them. So far it has brought me no luck.
To be honest I don't see what the big deal is about marking older notes or ones already marked. Most of the notes I mark would probably be taken out of circulation soon anyway so I am not in any way shortening their lifespan
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

psych3
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by psych3 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:40 am

I have never marked a note, but meaby if it (the note) is very bad condition, I can take last change :)

Eni

Post by Eni » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:19 pm

I bought a stamp the other day to mark them with, it looks really neat. I read in another discussion that Ireland is one of the countries that is more slack about withdrawing marked or old notes so maybe I will get lucky and my marked notes will be circulating for a while.

On another subject I read somewhere that Ireland is one of the countries that has a lot of euro notes in very bad condition. Experts say this is due to the fact that we pay for our drinks every time we buy one so the Euro note gets handed over a wet bar a few times over the course of the night. I think in other countries, when you are in certain pubs, you pay for all your drinks at the end of the night in one transaaction. This happened me in Stuttgart, Germany and Milan, Italy. Can anyone tell me which other countries this happens in.

Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Eni (I presume you;re Enid?) - why don't you register? There are so few Irish people on here - sometimes I feel so lonely :P
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by alex77r » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:48 pm

I mark !!!
The Shortcodes List/Bilan des Codes-courts recensés - website on stand-by
User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings>(1) Sélectionnez le thème "Subsilver2" pour avoir une apparence ressemblant à l'ancien forum (2) Forum en français désormais possible!

Bebbo
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Bebbo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:17 pm

I mark old, ripped and previously written on notes.
I've had mixed success with some of my hit from mark and others weren't.

I just bought a stamp too. Most likly the same one as Eni.

Fjon, lidl are selling a stamp at the mo for about €5.

Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:57 pm

Haha - is it this one?

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c ... 10.p.Stamp

Must pop in there tomorrow to see if they have any left

Bebbo
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Bebbo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:01 am

Lol, :lol: nearly fell off my chair :oops: !!!

bocky
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bocky » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:04 am

This Where's Gerorge user has a really nice stamp:

:wink:

giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: To mark or not to mark?

Post by giberski » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:01 am

Eni wrote:At first I did not agree with marking but after entering 700 notes and still not getting a hit I decided to mark mu notes with the website address. Finally after entering about 150 more notes I got a hit!!! It was so satisfying so now I would definitely reccommend marking notes, it gets results if you are looking for a hit. I only mark aboout 5% of mu notes.
Uhm...but was it THAT note that was entered again? Probably not, so that's why I don't do it. It doesn't have any effect.

Giberski

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:05 pm

fjon wrote:Haha - is it this one?

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c ... 10.p.Stamp

Must pop in there tomorrow to see if they have any left
Wheh :)
BTW, just for curiousity I checked if they sold the same toy stams also in Finland. They do.
The interesting thing is, it's 50c cheaper here than in Ireland, although Finland's supposed to be an expensive country..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”