Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

bazik
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Bills life time

Post by bazik » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:59 pm

i red somewhere on this foruns the life time of a bill is only 18 monts :|

So that means if a bill entered 18 months ago will proably never have a hit after that!

So that will cause growth on the hits not to b exponetional like it could be.. is this right? :roll:

Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ralf » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:10 pm

You can't say that because some notes change in 1 month 1 time and other in 1 month 10 times.

groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:31 pm

It's always an average, so there will be notes who stay in use for several years, while others disappear after some months already...

Ernst
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Ernst » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:00 am

Also with an average 18 month life time hit growth will still be exponential as long as the site keeps growing exponentially as it has done since 2002! :D

Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:14 am

18 months only holds for fivers, €500 bills can last up to more than 10 years!
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Re: Bills life time

Post by androl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:56 pm

bazik wrote:i red somewhere on this foruns the life time of a bill is only 18 monts :|

So that means if a bill entered 18 months ago will proably never have a hit after that!

So that will cause growth on the hits not to b exponetional like it could be.. is this right? :roll:
That's always the average time. If it was exact, all notes from 01/2002 would have been replaced in 07/2003, and all notes from 07/2003 would have been replaced in 01/2005 at one time :roll: :roll:
but we still find the first notes, and the most 5ers I find in circulation are still the ones from start of 2002, so I guess the average lifetime is much more than 2 years.

byrnefm
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by byrnefm » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:02 pm

I'd say that over here, the lifetime of a €5 is much less than 18 months - so many crisp €5 notes are released into circulation as the €5s go 'limp' very quickly. People seem to think of €5s as 'loose change' and crumple them into their pockets as if they were a coin. As a result, the notes don't stand a chance!

The other banknotes (€10s upwards) are treated with a bit more respect :) Notes above €50 are uncommon and notes above €100 are really uncommon, so I'd say they'd last a long time here!

nostromo

Post by nostromo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:21 pm

"The other banknotes (€10s upwards) are treated with a bit more respect Notes above €50 are uncommon and notes above €100 are really uncommon, so I'd say they'd last a long time here! "

Yes but they travel a lot dont they?! hehe :P

[[]]

tomaz79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by tomaz79 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:30 am

So does anybody know if there is some official information about the average bill lifetime available? I browsed the ECB site a bit, but couldn't find anything useful.

I'm putting together a piece of code which would calculate the effective (or average) number of one's notes that are still in circulation, based on the entry times and the average lifetime. Other than the lifetime, It'd be nice to have the standard deviation also :D

If anyone knows anything, please let me know :wink:

Thanks!

thomas
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by thomas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:47 pm

tomaz79 wrote:So does anybody know if there is some official information about the average bill lifetime available? I browsed the ECB site a bit, but couldn't find anything useful.
I don't know about "official" information either, but if you look at my site www.eurotracer.net/information and http://www.eurotracer.net/information/notes.php, you find statistics about note production, note replacement (shreddering) and note circulation. From that and some information about the amount of notes in the reserves (to be found on the ECB FAQ site), you might be able to estimate the life expectancy of the notes, maybe ...

tomaz79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by tomaz79 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks for the info, thomas.
It would probably be possible to extract some numbers from the things you mention. I chose the easy way - I wrote an e-mail to the ECB :)
I posted the information they sent me here.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”