"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by ART »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pmVery boring...
Certainly boring from our point of view, of billtrackers, but we must not forget that notes are primarily made to circulate. Personally I prefer the system where it is not possible to distinguish the issuing state, because it is more authentically federal, but there is also another less subjective reason. During the 2008-2011 economic crisis, when some great international speculators and extremist politicians were working for a fall of the European Monetary Union, in some states fake news spread that Greek and Italian notes (therefore the old Y and S) would have been out of circulation because these two states would have leave the monetary union. An absurd bullshit, but it is an example how a "clear" differentiation payment item was used to try to generate panic. Of course it is not for this reason (at least I believe) that the ECB has changed the system, but in general I think the current one is better.
European soul, European pride.
A0000001A
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by A0000001A »

I believe its a further step into an european identity and a step away from national identities.
Country codes allowed people to differentiate between notes "from their own country" and "other notes".
It was surely a nice thing for collectors and trackers, but to be honest, who cares about a few hundred collectors and trackers when it is all about a European currency which is made for 350 Mio+ people.
Letters are now based on printers which literally means nothing because it is usually not unveiled which central bank ordered from which printers. In many cases you can take a guess, like France Italy or Spain, but you still cant be sure.
Maybe it is time to desist from a "country-based" view on banknotes. ECB took this decision and we have to deal with that.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

ART wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:58 pm
JordiJanTaxi wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pmVery boring...
Certainly boring from our point of view, of billtrackers, but we must not forget that notes are primarily made to circulate. Personally I prefer the system where it is not possible to distinguish the issuing state, because it is more authentically federal, but there is also another less subjective reason. During the 2008-2011 economic crisis, when some great international speculators and extremist politicians were working for a fall of the European Monetary Union, in some states fake news spread that Greek and Italian notes (therefore the old Y and S) would have been out of circulation because these two states would have leave the monetary union. An absurd bullshit, but it is an example how a "clear" differentiation payment item was used to try to generate panic. Of course it is not for this reason (at least I believe) that the ECB has changed the system, but in general I think the current one is better.
As far as I can remember, the thing was previous to the crisis, (maybe I'm mistaken) and had to do more with "trust" on some countries. I had read in forums (before I became an EBT user) that German citizens wouldn't accept Greek and spanish banknotes. But I don't have any conscience it lasted for long.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

A0000001A wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 am I believe its a further step into an european identity and a step away from national identities.
Country codes allowed people to differentiate between notes "from their own country" and "other notes".
It was surely a nice thing for collectors and trackers, but to be honest, who cares about a few hundred collectors and trackers when it is all about a European currency which is made for 350 Mio+ people.
Letters are now based on printers which literally means nothing because it is usually not unveiled which central bank ordered from which printers. In many cases you can take a guess, like France Italy or Spain, but you still cant be sure.
Maybe it is time to desist from a "country-based" view on banknotes. ECB took this decision and we have to deal with that.
Well, I can't agree too much with this. If it was an identity thing, the coins should not have any kind of difference. More the opposite way, for example, when national coins started to be minted in euroarea, United States started to mint "state-quarters". And the banknotes have the serialnumber started by the letter of twelve different federal banks.

OK, it's a fact of personal opinions.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:47 pmBut I don't have any conscience it lasted for long.
We avoid taking unnecessary risks: for our safety we must provide as few opportunities as possible to speculators and professional bullshit creators.

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:51 pm If it was an identity thing, the coins should not have any kind of difference.
In fact in my opinion it would be better to have equals, as our "colleagues" of African and Eastern Caribbean monetary unions do without problems, eventually assigning to the states only the commemorative 2 €.

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:51 pmMore the opposite way, for example, when national coins started to be minted in euroarea, United States started to mint "state-quarters".
Those issues celebrate the federate states, they are not issued by states.

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:51 pmAnd the banknotes have the serialnumber started by the letter of twelve different federal banks.
It's a similar system: they have different offices of the Federal Reserve, we have different printing works. Both do not necessarily coincide with individual states.
European soul, European pride.
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

Last edited by TheUndertaker on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

Find the error
86F416FE-2D57-480F-B841-88B07275DD60.jpeg
86F416FE-2D57-480F-B841-88B07275DD60.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1967 times
bumboozel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by bumboozel »

TheUndertaker wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm Find the error86F416FE-2D57-480F-B841-88B07275DD60.jpeg
😱
Good catch. I wouldn’t have notice that!
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

TheUndertaker wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm Find the error86F416FE-2D57-480F-B841-88B07275DD60.jpeg
Is it that the star at 4 is incomplete?
I've never noticed that...
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

xja wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:50 pm
Is it that the star at 4 is incomplete?
I've never noticed that...
no, look at the silverstripe or hologram I dunno how u call that
Arminius
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Arminius »

A shifted hologram.

Hardly anyone of us will notice this kind of print error as we look for the print codes and serials.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

Arminius wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 pm A shifted hologram.

Hardly anyone of us will notice this kind of print error as we look for the print codes and serials.
What do you mean with "shifted"? The only thing I can see is the white area of the holographic stripe "clean", without the wavy lines filling the space. As for the hologram position, what it seems to me is that the white area is wider than standard. I'm looking at half a dozen fivers, and four of them have white area on one side of the hologram. The other two have it perfectly centered and the white area is not visible on either side because it has exactly the same width with the hologram. Yours has white on BOTH sides, so the white area is clearly TOO WIDE. And lacks the waving lines.
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

No clue what happened to this one, no burn marks on the back site 🤷🏻‍♂️
Attachments
41C0201F-6C55-4C26-B532-98ECEC03DA2C.jpeg
41C0201F-6C55-4C26-B532-98ECEC03DA2C.jpeg (4.61 MiB) Viewed 1892 times
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

TheUndertaker wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am No clue what happened to this one, no burn marks on the back site 🤷🏻‍♂️
Because the holographic stripe is plastic, not sure but maybe a very soft kind of vinyl. If you could hold one of these off the paper it would be a very very soft elastic tape.

By the way: compare this one with the one of yesterday: can you see the width difference of the white area?
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

An E001B3 EC06 from an ATM in Berlin, must’ve been in a few hands

The signature looks weird, takes getting used to
Attachments
87957647-8CAC-48A8-8165-DB81681FC954.jpeg
87957647-8CAC-48A8-8165-DB81681FC954.jpeg (4.01 MiB) Viewed 1787 times

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”