"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by ART »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 pmand not only that: I'd reserve 1/4 of the area for a national image corresponding to the age of each bill:
I totally disagree on this: it's a bad idea, which would represent a step backwards. Different coins are enough.
European soul, European pride.
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

siriusLT wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:52 am is it some footprint from the print machine or ATM?
Perhaps the printing machine did this, since an ATM should simply take notes form a stack and count them with a wheel. Never seen something like that before.
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

If there's one thing I wish they will review and ultimately change with the new series is to withdraw the ability of every printer to use any numbering sequence / method they fancy. Numbering rules should be the same for all.
trezay
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by trezay »

ciao85 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:25 pm The ECB today announced that there will be a full redesign of euro banknotes by 2024. No date has been set for the release of the third series.
Sorry, I'm reacting late :P

I don't have a strong preference about the design of the new series… What I would like them to do is make the notes more resistant, like these. That way, our registered notes would stay in circulation longer and generate more hits :mrgreen: I'm not sure how cost-effective that would be for euros, though. I think they had looked in to for the Europa series and decided it would be too expensive?
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Well, this is the (main) issue we face re. the switch to polymer:
tabbs wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:00 pm
MDeen wrote:The Bank of England (BoE) says it will begin issuing its first new– era plastic 5 and 10 pound banknotes in 2016. When will the ECB start.
The ECB has just switched from paper or rather cotton money to "paper" with an extra lacquer layer (suggested/developed by the Dutch DNB) to make the notes more durable. Features such as transparent windows are possible with such notes as well.

Personally I don't really like the feel of polymer notes, but apart from that there are other issues: Polymer notes are patent protected, so the euro area printers would have to get some kind of license from the RBA/Securency. Also, in the "sterling area" there is basically one printer while we have quite a few ...
One day the patent will expire, I suppose... until then, I think we'll have to use the closest alternatives (like some Europa series denoms. already have an extra layer of protection, as mentioned there).
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trezay
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by trezay »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:48 pm Well, this is the issue we face re. the switch to polymer
Thanks for the information! I wasn't aware that the process was patented, it all makes sense now :lol:
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

The year 2023 hasn't even started yet and the ECB has already published the (prospective) production figures for 2024! 8O

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_ ... ex.en.html
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

I have just read the news that Croatia switched today to use the euro.
Will Croatia have its printer for euro notes, or just use the ones already in circulation?
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

xja wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:54 pm I have just read the news that Croatia switched today to use the euro.
Will Croatia have its printer for euro notes, or just use the ones already in circulation?
I'm afraid they will use banknotes printed elsewhere. As far as I know, they didn't even print Kunas, I think (if my info is accurate) that Kuna banknotes were printed in Germany.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Jordi is correct: they didn't print kuna banknotes. (Some denominations were printed in Germany, some others in Austria.)

Here's from the Croatian National Bank's website:
HNB Production wrote:Given the annual requirements for banknotes in regular supply and the need to maintain an adequate quality of banknotes in circulation, there is no economic justification to set up an in-house printing works so that kuna banknotes are printed in foreign licensed printing works selected through international tenders.

The printing of 1,000, 500, 20 and 10 kuna banknotes has been agreed with Giesecke & Devrient (G&D), Munich, while the printing of 200, 100 and 50 kuna banknotes has been agreed with Österreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck (OeBS), Vienna.
As to euro banknotes in Croatia, we will soon find out which ones are pooled there. From what I see on the list of notes registered on the first day, the ones found so far in Croatian ATMs do not seem to include serial numbers in sequence. (See Statistics / Notes / New notes / Croatia.) If so, this might mean that the banknotes sent there were just the ones that were in stock at the moment. Adding to this reasoning is the fact that banknotes commissioned by Croatia are only due in 2024, and only :note-20: so far (see ECB Banknotes and coins production).

Printer codes found so far at Croatian ATMs:
:note-10: N, P, W
:note-20: E, U
perepelita
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by perepelita »

I was also wondering about this and went to wikipedia to check, and apparently they have a link to our forum there :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_bank ... te_ref-116
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Our forum is, in fact, cited twice in that article :lol: very impressive, we are officially source material.
garfieldHR
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by garfieldHR »

lmviterbo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:31 am As to euro banknotes in Croatia, we will soon find out which ones are pooled there.
New banknotes which can be found in Croatia:
:note-5: N024/ND
:note-10: N018/NC
:note-20: E012/EN
I don't know about larger denominations, haven't got any of them in uncirculated condition yet.
lmviterbo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:31 am Printer codes found so far at Croatian ATMs:
Many ATMs are actually stocked with circulated notes.
mizar
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by mizar »

In Slovenia they filled them with circulated notes at the beginning as well, supposedly it's better in order to reduce possible (jamming? ) issues.
inDUS
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by inDUS »

New plate.
Attachments
IMG_20230416_121634.jpg
IMG_20230416_121634.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 9645 times

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”