"Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: "Europa": 2nd series of euro banknotes

Post by Elmo »

I have asked the ECB about the banknote production figures for 2020, and this was their reply:

Code: Select all

Denomination Quantity (mln. banknotes)  Value (mln. €)  NCBs commissioning production
€5                               751.6        3,757.8   BE, IE, AT, PT
€10                            1,185.8       11,858.1   DE, ES
€20                            1,271.0       25,419.8   EE, FR, CY, LU, MT, NL, SI, SK, FI
€50                            1,751.9       87,596.5   GR, ES, FR, IT, AT
€100                             763.8       76,380.0   DE, LV, LT
€200                                 -              -   
€500                                 -              -                             
TOTAL                          5,724.1      205,012.2
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
JRR
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by JRR »

Looks like there’s one new combination N/N :note-50: . Until now Austria hasn’t printed Europa :note-50: yet.

Think this will the first batch of notes with the new Christine Lagarde signature.
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:20 pm
TheUndertaker wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:15 pm
Chrattac wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:51 pm Any idea about this :note-10: ? Found in Finland had to check a couple of times if my vision didn't lie to me.

Printed in Bulgaria („for Germany“) by Oberthur it’s a subsidiary company from the Printer Oberthur or non as the printer with the Shortcode E :D
I wouldn't dare to say "for Germany", although the first F banknotes appeared there. In the beginning, "paper painting" used to belong to national banks. That's why banknotes had one letter in the serialnumber, and another one, different, in the printer code. Thus, all french banknotes were U serial, although there were two printers in France, L and E. All german banknotes were X serial, although there were also two printers, R and P. But sometimes, for reasons I cannot understand (although I made up my own [maybe mistaken] reasons), some bills were printed in OTHER countries (dutch 5ers and german teens printed in France, italian 50ers printed in Austria, german 50ers and spanish teens printed in The Nederlands, Portuguese 50ers in United Kingdom, etc.). Also, for the national banks accounting, countries that did not have a printer, had also their own letter: E for Slovakia, H for Slovenia, G for Cyprus or F for Malta. But all (most of?) those bills were printed in Germany (R), France (E) or the Nederlands (G). Later, since some time between 2010 and 2012 (not sure), the banknotes emission does not belong any longer to national banks, but to European Central Bank. That's why since 5ers were issued in 2013, all europa banknotes have the same letter in the serialnumber and the printer code. This letter does not refer to any country, but to the printer. So there are three letters in Germany: X for Bundesbank, R for Gesiecke & Devrient in (Stuttgart?) and W for Gesiecke & Devrient in Leipzig. Finally, E is Oberthur in France, and F is Oberthur in Bulgaria.

Regards.
Elmo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:52 pm I have asked the ECB about the banknote production figures for 2020, and this was their reply:

Code: Select all

Denomination Quantity (mln. banknotes)  Value (mln. €)  NCBs commissioning production
€5                               751.6        3,757.8   BE, IE, AT, PT
€10                            1,185.8       11,858.1   DE, ES
€20                            1,271.0       25,419.8   EE, FR, CY, LU, MT, NL, SI, SK, FI
€50                            1,751.9       87,596.5   GR, ES, FR, IT, AT
€100                             763.8       76,380.0   DE, LV, LT
€200                                 -              -   
€500                                 -              -                             
TOTAL                          5,724.1      205,012.2
Hi!

I'd like to know how to address a question to ECB. As I wrote in my post, after having heard it in the news, that paper money printing was not any longer responsability of the NCBs, which, (as I also wrote :mrgreen: :mrgreen:), was mistaken.

How does then ECB count which banknotes are comissioned to which National Central Bank? And, if the banknotes still belong to NCBs, why don't they keep having country letter in the serial number and printer code according to printing facilities? Or will we see again banknotes witg D, G, H, and new other letters for SK or MT since E and F have been taken by other printers? Or, otherwise, where will Estonian, Cypriot, Maltese, Sloveninan and Slovakian banknotes be printed?
ebt1106
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by ebt1106 »

JordiJanTaxi wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm How does then ECB count which banknotes are comissioned to which National Central Bank? And, if the banknotes still belong to NCBs, why don't they keep having country letter in the serial number and printer code according to printing facilities? Or will we see again banknotes witg D, G, H, and new other letters for SK or MT since E and F have been taken by other printers? Or, otherwise, where will Estonian, Cypriot, Maltese, Sloveninan and Slovakian banknotes be printed?
I don't think ECB counts. ECB decides in advance, which NCB will commission how many banknotes of a certain nomination during the next year.

Some NCBs have inhouse printing works and some don't. (Or e.g. in the case of Germany they commission more banknotes than the inhouse printing works can handle.)

For those orders that are not done inhouse there will be a public tender.

E.g. https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTIC ... XT:EN:HTML is a tender by the bank of Ireland over 135.26 million 5 EUR banknotes for 2020.

Some NCBs provide the details only to qualified companies, but the Bank of Ireland seems to make a lot (everything?) public:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publi ... lowPrint=1

As an answer to one question we see that all these banknotes will be delivered to the Bank of Ireland. In which country they will eventually be brought into circulation is probably not made public. It's quite obvious that most of them will not be determined for Ireland in the end.

Since the Europa series the commissioning NCB is no longer visible on the banknote. So these 135.26 million banknotes will just have the letter of the printing works that wins the tender. I have no idea why this change compared to series 1 banknotes has been made,

So now we know that out of the 751.6 million 5 EUR notes for 2020 135.26 million are commissioned by the Irish NCB, I haven't investigated whether BE, AT, and PT all have public tenders. If not we might never know how many 5 EUR notes they commission. I also don't know whether it will be made public who wins the Irish tender. Maybe the winning printing works make a press release?
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

ebt1106 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:12 pm
JordiJanTaxi wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm How does then ECB count which banknotes are comissioned to which National Central Bank? And, if the banknotes still belong to NCBs, why don't they keep having country letter in the serial number and printer code according to printing facilities? Or will we see again banknotes witg D, G, H, and new other letters for SK or MT since E and F have been taken by other printers? Or, otherwise, where will Estonian, Cypriot, Maltese, Sloveninan and Slovakian banknotes be printed?
I don't think ECB counts. ECB decides in advance, which NCB will commission how many banknotes of a certain nomination during the next year.

Some NCBs have inhouse printing works and some don't. (Or e.g. in the case of Germany they commission more banknotes than the inhouse printing works can handle.)

For those orders that are not done inhouse there will be a public tender.

E.g. https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTIC ... XT:EN:HTML is a tender by the bank of Ireland over 135.26 million 5 EUR banknotes for 2020.

Some NCBs provide the details only to qualified companies, but the Bank of Ireland seems to make a lot (everything?) public:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publi ... lowPrint=1

As an answer to one question we see that all these banknotes will be delivered to the Bank of Ireland. In which country they will eventually be brought into circulation is probably not made public. It's quite obvious that most of them will not be determined for Ireland in the end.

Since the Europa series the commissioning NCB is no longer visible on the banknote. So these 135.26 million banknotes will just have the letter of the printing works that wins the tender. I have no idea why this change compared to series 1 banknotes has been made,

So now we know that out of the 751.6 million 5 EUR notes for 2020 135.26 million are commissioned by the Irish NCB, I haven't investigated whether BE, AT, and PT all have public tenders. If not we might never know how many 5 EUR notes they commission. I also don't know whether it will be made public who wins the Irish tender. Maybe the winning printing works make a press release?
Thanks a lot for your explanation.

As far as I know, België and Österreich (and Italy, Spain, Greece, have public tenders, Portugal, (and The Nederlands, Finland in the past and United Kingdom) have external companies printing paper. Then, France has Banque Nationale de France and Oberthur, and Germany has Bundesdruckerei and Gesiecke & Devrient. The Bulgarian printer, F, is a subsidiary of french Oberthur. I don't know if Slovenia, Slovakia, Cyprus, Malta, Baltic Republics, etc., had ever had their own printers for their pre-euro currencies, but their euros were mostly printed by Dutch Johann Enschedé, French Oberthur and German Gesiecke & Devrient. Probably forgetting things. Only side note is that I mention UK because de la Rue in Gateshead were printing some Finnish banknotes and all (or most of) portuguese 50ers.

I'll read your links.

Thank you again.

Jordi.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Portugal's printer, Valora, is its own corporate entity, but is 100% owned by the Bank of Portugal (British company De la Rue was a minority partner in the past).
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the links, ebt1106.

Do you, by any chance, keep a list of the amounts of banknotes printed or commissioned by any of the NCBs? If not, do you know if anyone keeps such a list?
TheUndertaker
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by TheUndertaker »

Im not a 100% sure but I think Germany publishes a list who won the order where is listed how much the company will print
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

European soul, European pride.
nossi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by nossi »

Is the Short-Code missing?
Liebe Grüße aus Wien - nossi -
JordiJanTaxi
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by JordiJanTaxi »

I wonder what kind of perfection can be measured above 62, under a x5 magnification, if it is just optical, and how it corresponds to printing. Is it about amount of ink? Separation os lines? Readability of microprintings? About alignment of different colours? Is it possible that a "normal person" can figure out a 62+ rating? And, most important: is it possible that we all had 70 star banknotes in our hands without knowing it?
Seltaeb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Seltaeb »

Código Corto U002C5

10_U_U002C5.jpg
10_U_U002C5.jpg (3.67 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Riesling
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Riesling »

Hi everyone,
I need some help/explanation.
The 10 Euronotes that I withdrew in Hamburg from the ATM cannot be registered.
When entering the printer code I get following message

You have attempted to enter an invalid serial number or an invalid printer code for this denomination. Some values are only possible for Europa series banknotes. Please correct your input.

The notes are brand-new
Printer codes W001F1 and W001H3
Serial number WA0911.... and WA133128.....

Got them on two different ATM in Hamburg last week.
What to do ? Are these fakes ?

Thanks for help
Riesling
Attachments
IMG_20191214_122602.jpg
IMG_20191214_122602.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 2744 times
IMG_20191214_122722.jpg
IMG_20191214_122722.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2744 times
IMG_20191214_122636.jpg
IMG_20191214_122636.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 2744 times
IMG_20191214_122833.jpg
IMG_20191214_122833.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 2744 times
magneto
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by magneto »

is a new combo, not predict yet from the admin, he gonna fix it soon
ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ErGo »

magneto wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:55 pm is a new combo, not predict yet from the admin, he gonna fix it soon
They can be entered now:
https://en.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?t ... 0;series=2

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”