The town of Fucking, Austria.

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: The town of Fucking, Austria.

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Just looked for it in France's locations list, but it's not showing up (no bills registered there?). The town of Condom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom,_Gers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Montgomery Burns wrote:Just looked for it in France's locations list, but it's not showing up (no bills registered there?). The town of Condom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom,_Gers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://eurobilltracker.com/profile/?city=18708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Ah, there it is. I don't know what I did wrong...
JHN-TX
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by JHN-TX »

Effin Co. Limerick was mentioned before.
Last week I was about 5km from Effin and would have liked to get a note or two , but it was getting late and I had to drive back to Galway.
I don`t want your money, I just want your serial number

lyric. The face that I see in my mirror more and more is a stranger to me.
Some Days are Diamonds - John Denver
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

lmviterbo wrote:At the moment, the only person who can say "I've registered a note in Poo" is the Spanish user Glaciar. (I wonder why this town doesn't show up on a regular search.)
Montgomery Burns wrote:Just looked for it in France's locations list, but it's not showing up (no bills registered there?).
With the search option in EBT you can only find cities where notes were registered in the last year.
So if the last note here was registered more than 1 year ago, it won't show up.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

SeanW wrote:I just read about this little village in Austria, near the border with Germany, the name of which is Fucking, which for obvious reasons is amusing in the English speaking world. And so I wonder, has anyone here ever been there? Entered notes from Fucking :twisted:

There is no listing in the EBT database for it, I wonder is it because the village is part of the municipality of Tarsdorf, which is listed? If I were to enter a note from Fucking, Austria today (obviously I can't) what would happen?
I've registered a note as "Fucking", but it was merged into the cityprfile of Tarsdorf, because Fucking belongs to its municipality (that's the policy of the Austrian EBT-database).
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

JHN-TX wrote:Last week I was about 5km from Effin and would have liked to get a note or two , but it was getting late and I had to drive back to Galway.
Effin shame!
eddydevries wrote:With the search option in EBT you can only find cities where notes were registered in the last year.
So if the last note here was registered more than 1 year ago, it won't show up.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for that.

I recently heard of the German town of Sömmerda:

http://www.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?city=88122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6mmerda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That name is awfully reminiscent of the Portuguese words "só merda", meaning "just shit" or "all shit".
SeanW
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by SeanW »

eddydevries wrote:
SeanW wrote:I just read about this little village in Austria, near the border with Germany, the name of which is Fucking, which for obvious reasons is amusing in the English speaking world. And so I wonder, has anyone here ever been there? Entered notes from Fucking :twisted:

There is no listing in the EBT database for it, I wonder is it because the village is part of the municipality of Tarsdorf, which is listed? If I were to enter a note from Fucking, Austria today (obviously I can't) what would happen?
I've registered a note as "Fucking", but it was merged into the cityprfile of Tarsdorf, because Fucking belongs to its municipality (that's the policy of the Austrian EBT-database).
It's a shame there's no "Fucking" in the EBT database, it would definitely make things a little bit more interesting. :P We gotta get the EBT team to make an exception for Fucking, given its ... unusual notoriety.
JHN-TX wrote:Effin Co. Limerick was mentioned before.
Last week I was about 5km from Effin and would have liked to get a note or two , but it was getting late and I had to drive back to Galway.
Effin might be a good place to get notes from, but I'd also like to visit Muff some day ...
SeanW
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by SeanW »

eddydevries wrote:

Hi Eddie;

Where did you get the note from Fucking? Google Streetview doesn't go there and from the photos I've seen, there aren't any shops or anything in the place, just a small scattering-ish of houses.
SeanW
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by SeanW »

You'd think one of them would have opened up a gift shop by now :twisted:
klapotec
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by klapotec »

only risky for German speakers, but of some relevance for this topic are Poppendorf and Sankt Blasen, both in Styria
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

A couple more:

Pissos, France.

Pilas, Spain.

Both slang words for "penises" (yes, plural in both cases) in Portuguese.
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

SeanW wrote: Hi Eddie;

Where did you get the note from Fucking? Google Streetview doesn't go there and from the photos I've seen, there aren't any shops or anything in the place, just a small scattering-ish of houses.
I ate in this restaurant. It's not within the village of Fucking, but less than a mile away from it (according googlemaps the village is somewhat further away, but this is the place if you look at the wikipedia-page). Theres no streetview, so I can't look for the signs.

When I got the ticket I had some doubts (it showed as cityname "Tarsdorf"), but because that's on the other side of the village of Fucking, I entered the note as so.

"My" restaurant is also mentioned at the wikipedia-page:
Augustina Lindlbauer, the manager of an area guesthouse, noted that the area had lakes, forests, and vistas worth visiting, but there was an "obsession with Fucking". Lindlbauer recalled how she had to explain to a British female tourist "that there were no Fucking postcards."
Last edited by eddydevries on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

SeanW wrote:You'd think one of them would have opened up a gift shop by now :twisted:
According to the wikipedia-page one inhabitant opened a webshop (selling T-shirts), but he was shouted on and threatened by the other inhabitants. So he was forced to close it down.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

eddydevries wrote:but he was shouted on and threatened by the other inhabitants. So he was forced to close it down.
I can see people saying "I hate this place, fucking Fucking..." :D.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”