Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

bren_nmgn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Post by bren_nmgn »

I just got off the phone with the DNB, (Dutch National Bank), and unfortunately they have confirmed that every old design 5 euro note that hits the DNB, no matter the condition it's in, will be destroyed.....
I will start stamping each and every one of the old notes that goes through my hands for now on, hoping to draw some new users, so the old notes still serve a purpose. ;)
And, ofcourse, I will NOT deposit them at a bank, instead I'll dump them in various stores, bakery's, etc.

How's the prognosis in your countries?
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....

Join the EBT team on What Pulse

My stats: https://dserrano5.es/ebt/ebtst/stats/bren_nmgn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

feel free to add: facebook

MY PROFILE
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Post by Aatos99 »

Finland's national bank (Suomen Pankki) doesn't give old fivers back to the banks,but banks give old fivers to the people :wink: But when old :note-5: goes to Suomen Pankki,it doesn't come back..
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy »

i sugest we make a complaint against national banks for the destruction of goverment property
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Interesting (and a little bit sad). I haven't heard anything over here, but since May I've been under the assumption that banks have been taking them out of circulation as they get them, so I tried to avoid depositing old fivers since then. I may start to "url" them, but I have to do it by hand, so it's a little bit tiring lol.
giulcenc
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giulcenc »

In Italy banks normally don't put back in circulation old fivers, even if they are new.

But some days ago the bank cashier gave me 4 old notes into a little batch of new circulated ones. Maybe he was too much lazy to set them apart? :lol:
Dioniz
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Dioniz »

I don't know what's the official policy of BS, but ordinary banks still give old fivers (both UNC - F005/N and also non-UNC notes). Ratio between "2002" and "Europa" series is somewhere 5:1 or 4:1.
My profile & EBTST & Hit-dots map
Hits: 616x :flag-si:, 277x :flag-at:, 52x :flag-de:, 24x :flag-it:, 10x :flag-nl:, 7x :flag-be:, 5x :flag-fi:, 5x :flag-sk:, 3x :flag-fr:, 1x :flag-ee:, 1x :flag-gr:, 1x :flag-hr:, 1x :flag-lt:, 1x :flag-pt:, 1x :flag-es:, 1x ME, 1x :flag-at: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-be:, 1x :flag-be: :flag-at:, 1x :flag-fr: :flag-de:
Flightdiary & Where's George?
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

In Bracht :flag-de: I just got 40 circulated Europe :note-5: . No old :note-5:
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

You want old 5s, come to Greece. Still at 90/10 with the new ones, so still plenty to go around. Sometimes a whole day will go without seeing a new 5 at all.
LArdennais
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by LArdennais »

In :flag-be: (Belfius & CBC/KBC ATM's) : :note-5: 2002 used notes OR :note-5: 2002 UNC notes (Yes, yes !) OR :note-5: EUROPA UNC notes (Z/Z only ;) ) OR :note-5: EUROPA used notes (mainly Z/Z).
http://liste.eurobillets.free.fr/ : don't miss it every day ! à zieuter tous les jours ! kijk elke dag ! :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =fr&gl=US] : A utiliser sans modération ! :)
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

I don't know anything about the destruction of old :note-5:s in Spain, but I do know that today I got a very circulated T/Z with a torn along the security thread, and the thread partly out of place. A very poor R002/X and E003/P too. This was from a bank. Only 5 out of 64 notes (7.8%) were Europas in that bundle.
kayhh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by kayhh »

In Hamburg :flag-de: at some banks you nearly only get old notes, especially at Commerzbank ATM´s. The German national bank destroys old wrinkled notes with more force than before and replace them with unused old series (x34 and x35 mostly plate 17) as well as with the Europa series V, U and Z. A month before you can receive refurbished old series with spanish seal (banderole). I even got two hits with Spain and one with the Netherlands with them. The banderole was from Jan. 2011 :D
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

In Luxembourg most of the 5€ going around are old ones, just today I got 3 never circulated old ones from an ATM machine. Although I have to say that most ATMs in Luxembourg do not give 5€ - try ING ATMs for this ;)
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

I'm rarely seeing old :note-5: these days in southern Italy, so I kept an old one for my collection…
Bye.
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

Is it then possible that the old ones will mostly disappear by Christmas, if we carry on like that?
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

banks in Malta receive circulated fivers both new and old. Very few Europa fivers are in circulation here, maybe 20% Europa and 80% old ones

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”