Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Post by Aatos99 »

This day was a day of old fivers to me; I got three old fivers in the same day (or 2, my father got one). The most incredible thing was that I got one of the notes from bank :D I thought that most of banks in Finland don't give old fivers to circulation anymore.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

I run a coffee / sandwich shop in central Athens, and there's not a single minute without having at least one 2002 :note-5: in my register drawer. As an experiment I started putting the 2002 :note-5: notes aside during the day and it only took me 1hr and 20 minutes to collect 20 of them, before giving up and releasing them back into circulation as change. And that was yesterday. 2002 :note-5: hunters paradise! The weird thing is that most of them are still in good shape.
lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza »

Received two in change in the Lyon area a few weeks ago, and spent them at Paris CDG this week....hopefully they travel far...!

Is there any indication when these notes will become non-legal tender? When the GBP notes change, there is only a fairly short time when both are legal tender, then the old notes can only be "spent" at a bank.
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

I think the BCE website says they will give notice, the rest is as you said: the old notes could be exchanged indefinitely, but only in banks.
Bye.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

YCNZ wrote:I run a coffee / sandwich shop in central Athens, and there's not a single minute without having at least one 2002 :note-5: in my register drawer. As an experiment I started putting the 2002 :note-5: notes aside during the day and it only took me 1hr and 20 minutes to collect 20 of them, before giving up and releasing them back into circulation as change. And that was yesterday. 2002 :note-5: hunters paradise! The weird thing is that most of them are still in good shape.
This is interesting. Here in Frankfurt and the whole Rhine-Main-region surrounding it, the old :note-5: have become a species acutely threatened by extinction. Neither from the bank nor in public will you hardly get any old ones.

Currently, the new :note-10: are making their way very slowly into the public and the banks. Wonder if they will replace their precursors as "agressively" as the new fivers did.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

Aatos99 wrote:Old fivers are getting rare also in Finland. Okay, I get many old fivers when I had an own pop-up cafe, and you can also get old fivers from shops and banks, but about 80 or 90 per cent of fivers are new ones. So that's why I often don't take fivers from my bank account, because it's quite difficult to get hits with new fivers, espicially with unused ones. I'm not sure what will happen with new 10 euro notes, how long it takes to get them in common.
Interesting. On our way from Rovaniemi to Turku (EBTM 2014) we have stopped in a large supermarket not far from Oulu and there I wanted to exchange four new :note-5: into a :note-20: . The clerk let it slip through a machine to checkk its authenticy and it was rejected. The next bill as well and she called the manager. :oops: She tried with a third :note-5: with the same result. Airis, who recognized the uncomfortable situation I was about to get into saved the day then, suggesting to the young lady that she tried it with new :note-5: that she already had in her drawer. And bingo - f*cked up again! Then we asked her to let old instead of new :note-5: pass through the machine, and it went allright. We three, Airis, HeartofGold and me, were a bit surprised that they still used a machine that does not recognize the new bills and that obviously these people were also not quite familiar with that fact.

A quick glance in the drawer where a lot of fivers were saved we could see that indeed very many old ones were to be seen. If they also would have had 80-90% old fivers, this situation might not have arised.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Asiamaniac wrote:
Aatos99 wrote:Old fivers are getting rare also in Finland. Okay, I get many old fivers when I had an own pop-up cafe, and you can also get old fivers from shops and banks, but about 80 or 90 per cent of fivers are new ones. So that's why I often don't take fivers from my bank account, because it's quite difficult to get hits with new fivers, espicially with unused ones. I'm not sure what will happen with new 10 euro notes, how long it takes to get them in common.
Interesting. On our way from Rovaniemi to Turku (EBTM 2014) we have stopped in a large supermarket not far from Oulu and there I wanted to exchange four new :note-5: into a :note-20: . The clerk let it slip through a machine to checkk its authenticy and it was rejected. The next bill as well and she called the manager. :oops: She tried with a third :note-5: with the same result. Airis, who recognized the uncomfortable situation I was about to get into saved the day then, suggesting to the young lady that she tried it with new :note-5: that she already had in her drawer. And bingo - f*cked up again! Then we asked her to let old instead of new :note-5: pass through the machine, and it went allright. We three, Airis, HeartofGold and me, were a bit surprised that they still used a machine that does not recognize the new bills and that obviously these people were also not quite familiar with that fact.

A quick glance in the drawer where a lot of fivers were saved we could see that indeed very many old ones were to be seen. If they also would have had 80-90% old fivers, this situation might not have arised.
Yes, the situation is different in some parts of Finland. I enter most of my notes from Helsinki area and new fivers are most common in here. And there is also variation in the situation of old fivers; in the last couple weeks I have seen quite many old fivers in Helsinki area too, and about week ago I get one old fiver from bank. :D But still, old fivers are getting rare and it's nice to get them when it's still possible.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

I got one more old fiver today, after almost two months, from my electrician.
Still no new tenners yet...
Bye!
STP
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by STP »

Visited two separate smaller bank office here in Finland today and asked 100pcs :note-5: in both of them. First one gave 45old - 55new mixed bundle and another gave old design M012/V149 brand new bundle in original spanish belt dating 2010 :roll:
marbe166
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by marbe166 »

Today, I got a hold of my first old fiver since June. The old fivers have become VERY rare here in Cologne.
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

Today I went to my bank here in Rovaniemi. Almost half of my 5 euro notes were old design notes. So I took 50 notes: 2 were Duisenberg, 21 Trichet and 27 Draghi notes. One international hit to the Netherlands with a Draghi note. :) Usually I have got mostly Draghi notes from my bank.
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

Recently I got a few old fivers, one of them was my first note printed for Malta: it was taped and in really bad shape, but no hit.
I also got to see the new tenner more often.
Bye!
europaee
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by europaee »

I received old :note-5: in :flag-ie: Leixlip -Lidl shop.
Its in perfect condition-havent seen them for the long time,just wounder how did it survive,especially in :flag-ie: where respect to banknotes are very low. 8O :? :evil:
Regal Zonophone
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Regal Zonophone »

europaee wrote:I received old :note-5: in :flag-ie: Leixlip -Lidl shop.
Its in perfect condition-havent seen them for the long time,just wounder how did it survive,especially in :flag-ie: where respect to banknotes are very low. 8O :? :evil:
Working in a shop myself I know the 2002 series :note-5: are very scarce now and generally only appear in poor condition. The ratio of Europa :note-5: to the 2002 is about 100:1 from what I can tell.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Over here, Millennium BCP bank is gradually rolling out a new kind of automated teller which allows you to choose exact amounts of money and denominations (including coins!) to withdraw. I guess this means the branches which already have this machine have no fivers to spare: you often get notes in bad shape (for a bank) and old fivers here and there. In regular ATM's, - the relatively few that carry fivers - you're much less likely to get one.
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”