Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Just brought home a respectable Finnish lady from the supermarket, so my hopes were high... I didn't get lucky.

:lol:
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

I saw last week an old fiver in a cash machine of a shop. The cashier was giving it to a customer before me, but didn't give when she noticed that it was an old one. That's what cashiers used to do in some places when the new fivers came to circulation, but I don't really understand why do they want to take them out of circulation even now when there aren't many left in circulation.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

This page has some numbers of the current situation. I may have mentioned the page somewhere else earlier.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

I was happy to get two old fivers on last Wednesday. :) One from a bank, one from a floor of a restaurant. Indeed, there aren't many of them left in circulation, but it's not easy to take all of them out of circulation, especially when (in Finland) bank cashiers don't usually separate them of the new serie notes.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Received one last Monday from a bank ATM. It was very rare to see one again since they have vanished rather quickly after the introduction of the new series.
But there seem to be some leftovers. Maybe they come from people who have chosen to keep one but decided to spend them now.
The only reason why I received that very piece was because it's a deopsit/pay-out ATM. And I think it pays out what it gets in (and it does not seem to be programmed to sort out the old series)
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Yeah, there are tellers with a level of self-governance that work like that, such as the ones I mentioned here.
marbe166
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by marbe166 »

Looking at the stats it seems that Portugal is the place to go for old 5ers, so far in February there has been over 500 registered old 5ers in Portugal. No other country has over 200.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

marbe166 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 pmPortugal is the place to go
I can't agree more. 8)

Nevertheless, be warned that old fivers in circulation are probably not much higher than 1% in Portugal, judging only from my findings: only 3 out of 294 fivers I got in February 2018 were from the 2002 series. Old tenners are about as difficult to find at the moment. Old :note-20: are still very common though.

On the positive side, Lisbon is very good to find a vast amount of serial/shortcode combinations (of any denomination including Europa :note-50:) — and, indeed, for a panoply of other stuff (including visiting, making business and living).

Edit 1: in January, only 4 out of 885 fivers I registered were from the old series.

Edit 2: I just checked the diffusion stats and February seems very strange. If in January only 110 out of 10347 fivers were old (1.06%), this month it's 572 out of 6795 so far (8.42%). I have no idea where they are, but certainly not the places I visit. Either that or someone is faking a lot.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Could known faker Anino/Aleixo have something to do with it? We know this user has a file of serial numbers that he re-enters from time to time, and we're on one of such times. Are they only hit "notes" or could there be non-hit "notes" as well (among which, old fivers)?
ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ErGo »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm Could known faker Anino/Aleixo have something to do with it?
Maybe the numbers are now correct?
See viewtopic.php?p=1190986#p1190986
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Got a Duisenberg :note-5: at a news agent today :mrgreen: very good shape. I can't remember the previous 2002 fiver I registered (it may or may not be the one mentioned here).
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

In Portugal, you just have to register more. 8) :lol:

Out of the 3120 fivers I registered this year, 11 were from the 1st series, the latest one three weeks ago.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

It's just a nice feeling to get one in your change. Admittedly, my registering rate isn't what it used to be. Do you get many from banks? It's quite remarkable if so.
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:57 amDo you get many from banks?
Not a single one at the bank counter or from ATMs, in fact.

This year, 9 of these were withdrawn from CRM (cash recycling machines), 1 was received as change in a café, and the remaining 1 was received as change in a pub in Cologne :!:.

Last year, I withdrew 29 fivers from the 1st series. Only 2 of those were not withdrawn from CRMs: change in a supermarket and change in a theatre.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Well, I count CRM's as banks. :lol:

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”