Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

philgelico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Arras, France - Voiron, France - Lido di Dante, Italy

Re: Destruction of old design 5 euro notes

Post by philgelico »

In France, we have reached more or less a level of 50% old , and 50% new fivers. Surely this level can be very variable, just because banknotes' circulation is less important in France, compared to some other countries.
Old (sometimes very old) :note-5: are still in circulation in shops, bakeries, bars, small supermarkets, etc.
Last friday, in a bank (la Banque Postale) I asked for 200€ in :note-5: , and I received 2x20 brand new :note-5: Europe .
I have no further info.
Si tu veux voler avec les aigles, éloigne-toi des paons. (proverbe d'origine inconnue)
千里之行 始于足下, proverbe chinois
اتَّكَلْنا منه على خُصٍّ الاتحاد قوة, proverbe arabe
ספר המעשיות: כולל אגדות וסיפורים מתוך קובץ כ"י ישן, proverbe sanskrit
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Without knowing the orders banks receive from the German Federal Bank, it is very likely that the order was: "Sort out all old :note-5: if they come to you". I just assume it, but could not explain otherwise, why old :note-5: became a rarity in my area in Germany (Rhine-Main-area) since June this year.
If you're lucky, you can receive one as change in the shops, but that doesn't happen very often. Banks don't give out old ones since ~mid of June and the number of old fivers decreased rapidly since the end of May, when the Europa ones became a normal sight.
At the begin of July I asked a member of staff of the branch of the local bank about it, and the answer was "The Federal Bank sorts them out, but you can still get old ones from an ATM." I'd like to know where that ATM stands, but I just enter the notes I get from normal circulation, and normal sums of money from the ATM, so my impression might be different to that of a user tracking more notes than I do.
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
Mk1992
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Mk1992 »

Still no clear answer if they are disappearing. For :flag-nl: it is difficult to tell since very few machines distribute them, but across the border in :flag-be: I have noted a wave of old Spanish fivers coming in.
#1 user of Beek, #9 of Limburg, #102 of the Netherlands, #1016 EBT-wide (per 11.12.2023)
The only way is up!

Visited Countries: :flag-nl: :flag-be: :flag-de: :flag-fr: :flag-it: :flag-fi: :flag-pt: :flag-at: :flag-es: :flag-lu: :flag-si: :flag-sk: :flag-sm: :flag-cz: :flag-mc: + Liechtenstein
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

I'm tended to think the old :note-5: are not being destroyed (at least not by the Dutch Central Bank), because atm's give a mix of old and new :note-5: , and Dutch atm's are being filled with bills coming directly from the Dutch Central Bank.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
xja
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by xja »

I have to say that, after what was perhaps a massive injection of new :note-5: , I am returning to see old ones, maybe because they are not being replaced as fast as I thought; I even received one as change at my local post office, which maybe does not return old fivers to the ECB unless they're really worn out.
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

Still only one out of 3 or 4 is '13 series here in Athens, and I also see lots of UNC '02 series being released lately. It looks like they are de-stocking.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

In Finland we have now lots of old fivers with Duisenberg signature. Actually most of old fivers are Duisenberg notes :D Brand new ones and very old ones which have seen world,but no hits with those notes. I think that banks have still some Geldservice Austria bunches :)
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
YCNZ
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by YCNZ »

My brother reported (and saved for me) 9 almost uncirculated Duisenberg 5s (2 P/Y and 7 N/Y) in less than 3 hours at his shop.
That was yesterday.
He got 1 more N/Y right after opening up this morning.
He said that if any more turn up he will just use them as this is ridiculous.

I myself got one as change (already entered) in extremely good shape 600km away from my brother last night.

Something is wrong here.
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Asiamaniac »

GWR7007 wrote: it is very likely that the order was: "Sort out all old :note-5: if they come to you". I just assume it, but could not explain otherwise, why old :note-5: became a rarity in my area in Germany (Rhine-Main-area) since June this year.
Confirmed. In Wiesbaden and Frankfurt I make the same observations. Hardly any old fivers go over the desk.
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Tjariet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tjariet »

I also tend to think that DNB is not destroying old series at the moment. I started counting the number of old notes and the number of new notes in my weekly bundles at ING Bank and I find that it seems that 'they' are trying to find a balance. Last time it was even 200/200 exactly, the 5 times neither of the series had more than 60% of the total. I also find that many of the old Duisenberg series are coming back in circulation. Last weeks I found quite many g004-g007/P :note-5: , as well as p/p Duisenberg :note-5: , so it does seem that the old safes are being emptied.

In Germany (a country for which I think I can give an accurate opinion as well, as I entered 75000+ notes there), I got many 'used' Bundesbank bundles, but not one of them had even 1 old series - :note-5: in it. At one bank I asked for some old notes, and the cashier let me confirm it twice. She said they were not allowed to put old series in the ATM, and giving them to customers in the bank was not encouraged. I got the 50 old 5's in the end, resulting in 3 hits :D Notes that would otherwise have been destroyed.
greteck
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by greteck »

My favourite ATMs has distributed BRAND NEW old fashioned :note-5: for about 2 months after some months of Europa :note-5: ...
Eurobilltraqueur et client BNP ?

Il existe des échangeurs de billet dans certaines agences BNP permettant d'obtenir beaucoup de billets de 5 euros !

Ceux que la communauté a déjà identifié sont localisables sur http://www.greteck.eu
LArdennais
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by LArdennais »

Oh my God ! 8O
http://liste.eurobillets.free.fr/ : don't miss it every day ! à zieuter tous les jours ! kijk elke dag ! :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =fr&gl=US] : A utiliser sans modération ! :)
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

greteck wrote:My favourite ATMs has distributed BRAND NEW old fashioned :note-5: for about 2 months after some months of Europa :note-5: ...
the EC said that they will use all their stock of the old series and so that is why
Last edited by melitikus on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LArdennais
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by LArdennais »

This WE, I have visited around 25 ATM's in :flag-be: provinces of Namur and Luxembourg (only CBC/KBC and Belfius) :arrow: ONLY ONE ATM gave me "old fivers" (Belfius Tenneville) : again a " :flag-es: invasion" :mrgreen: but a mix of used and aUNC-notes ! ;)
http://liste.eurobillets.free.fr/ : don't miss it every day ! à zieuter tous les jours ! kijk elke dag ! :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =fr&gl=US] : A utiliser sans modération ! :)
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Since my last post, I saw, that there are more old :note-5: again. I didn't get them out of an ATM, just out of circulation but interesting. But, of course, they are not very often. Last weekend, I had the possibility to note down the notes at the stand of my school on a local Christmas market. There, I still received 10 old ones, but ~80 new ones (I didn't enter the new ones already, so self-hits might be possible). Anyway, I gave the old notes to my father, who'll -I hope at least- spend them in :flag-nl: Nijmegen where they might live longer.
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”