Post codes in Ireland

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

japh
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post codes in Ireland

Post by japh »

Ireland is unrolling a postcode called eircode. This system has a unique code for each address. I entered my code on the eircode website and it immediately gave my address and showed my house on the map of the area.
As for using these codes on EBT there are pros and cons, for instance any of my hit partners would be able to see on a map exactly where I obtained the note. However I would have to use a different code for each shop. This seems to me to be more trouble than its worth.
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Post codes in Ireland

Post by vermeer »

Will be like England or like the main land in Europe?
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

I had to look up my Eircode and I don't know if this is gonna work. OK the first 3 figures are town / city related. But the last 4 figures are random. so I have a totaly other code as my neighbour.

I don't see who can have a good use for this. If I gonna use it in EBT I only gonna use the first 3 figures
Personal statistics from: NIGMM / EBTST / EBTcheck 250 Hits with 2 triple :flag-ie: 3 :flag-eu: 410
list of (known by me) latest "codes_country.txt" files Blog
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

For Portugal and Netherlands: if there are no coordinates assigned for the full postal code, EBT will use an estimate derived from the coordinates of locations that have the same first four digits in the postal code. Perhaps a similar approach could be used for Eircodes.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

Trying to get some more information I found this:

Each Eircode is comprised of seven characters that are unique to each mailing address. The seven Characters are divided into two parts - a Routing Key and an Unique Identifier

The first three characters of Eircode, called the Routing Key are designed to benefit the parcel/postal industry. It is not directly linked to counties, towns or goegraphic features.

The second part of the Eircode, called the Unique Identifier is comprised of four characters drawn from a carefully selected set of letters and numbers that identify each individual address.

Source eircode.ie

The second part is not intresting for EBT These will have an average of 15.000 and up to 80.000 unique addresses in each Routing Key. and they are entirely randomised.

The first part It divides Ireland into 139 post towns, but these are huge, and there is no navigation component present in the standard file

Critical Source mapschribbles.blogspot.ie

I have tried to get a list of all the Routing Keys but I have not succeded it
Personal statistics from: NIGMM / EBTST / EBTcheck 250 Hits with 2 triple :flag-ie: 3 :flag-eu: 410
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

Burdie wrote: I have tried to get a list of all the Routing Keys but I have not succeded it

I have found a list of all Routing Keys

I have found also a map with dots of Routing Keys
You see a lot of dots, but be aware there are also dots with the same routing keys
simonluv
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by simonluv »

Fair play to you Burdie on getting all that information - very impressive.

So, shall we agree to stick with the first 3 digits of the eircode?
I reckon it would make our lives a little easier!
japh
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by japh »

simonluv wrote:Fair play to you Burdie on getting all that information - very impressive.

So, shall we agree to stick with the first 3 digits of the eircode?
I reckon it would make our lives a little easier!
I'll stick with the county designations as I consider Eircode unsuitable. For instance A96 covers Dalkey, Sallynoggin And Dun Laoghaire also Eircode places Cabinteely, Shankill and other locations into D18 whilst in reality they are in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

japhI wrote:'ll stick with the county designations as I consider Eircode unsuitable. For instance A96 covers Dalkey, Sallynoggin And Dun Laoghaire also Eircode places Cabinteely, Shankill and other locations into D18 whilst in reality they are in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.
I'll also stick with using the county names.

Searching for more info about Eircode I'll found a long list of City names - County - Lat - Long
I'm in the process to merge it in the code_ireland.txt list and clean it with all the double names. If I'm done the list is 10 times bigger.
I let you know when the list is online
simonluv
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by simonluv »

I'll stick with the county designations as I consider Eircode unsuitable. For instance A96 covers Dalkey, Sallynoggin And Dun Laoghaire also Eircode places Cabinteely, Shankill and other locations into D18 whilst in reality they are in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.
Cabinteely and Shankill were always Dublin 18. The Dun Laoghaire Rathdown "county" area was covered by D14, D18, some of D16 and Co. Dublin.

I believe the eircode system to be far more accurate in relation to location. For example it is now possible to distinguish where exactly in "Co. Dublin" somewhere is, e.g. A96 for Dalkey and K45 for Lusk!

I'm going to use the eircode's first 3 digits
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon »

I got my Eircode in the post today.

So some people are going to use the county, some are going to use the Routing key, and some the Eircode. This is going to get messy (although granted, it already is).
I'm definitely going to switch over to using the Routing key as it is more accurate than using the county (139 possible codes vs. 40-ish).
I'll use a combination of these two websites to help me:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/eircode-routing-keys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

simonluv wrote: I believe the eircode system to be far more accurate in relation to location. For example it is now possible to distinguish where exactly in "Co. Dublin" somewhere is, e.g. A96 for Dalkey and K45 for Lusk!
The Eircode system is very accurate, but makes no sence. I think it missed a lot of oppotuneties.
Look on the map view (Link in my other post and Fjon's post) and look at plotting P51 It is a long small stroke from Gneevgulla (Conty Kerry) to Aglish (County Waterford)

Why can't the Eircode Organisation give us a map, we had to relay on volenteers to sort that out. That is no good.

OK. I'm gone use both first starting with the Routing Key followed with the County
V93 KERRY is fitting in my standard settings :-)
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon »

Yeah, P51 is a confusing example covering 3 counties.
Most of the others are mostly in 1 county though.

I'm not sure it matters too much what is being used as the Town name is what will generate your dot. I think using the routing key is a lot "cleaner"
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
Burdie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Burdie »

Burdie wrote: Searching for more info about Eircode I'll found a long list of City names - County - Lat - Long
I'm in the process to merge it in the code_ireland.txt list and clean it with all the double names. If I'm done the list is 10 times bigger.
I let you know when the list is online
The list is done and I'm now in the process to search for Routing Key's Here you can see some results
You see a count of 140 Routing Keys because Cork is split in two Routing Keys and I had to create one (T12/T23)

My first focus is my own locations. Almost there Only 48 notes that are not assigned to a Routing Key :-)

After that I focus on all the irish locations in EBT (880) so plenty to do (Only 15 searches a day :-)

Fjon wrote:Yeah, P51 is a confusing example covering 3 counties.
Most of the others are mostly in 1 county though.

I'm not sure it matters too much what is being used as the Town name is what will generate your dot. I think using the routing key is a lot "cleaner"

Fjon, for so far I have only found about 250 Routing Keys and already 9 Routing Keys with 2 or more Counties ;-(
The Eircode finder Page is messy. Have a try and look for a code (And Address) in Ardmore County Waterford
japh
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by japh »

For anybody with whom I have hit and who would like to see exactly where I found the note the following is a list of Eircodes.
Supervalu/Eurospar Dalkey. A96YK88
Newsagents Dalkey A96X7F1
PO/PO Shop A96R9W3
Topaz Dalkey A96A4N8
Bank of Ireland Dun Laoghaire A96F24O
Tesco Dun Laoghaire A96RT93
Ulster Bank Dalkey A96T273
Ulster Bank Dun Laoghaire A96W0D8
Alex's Dun Laoghaire A96Y302
O'Briens Dalkey A96V050

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”