Why so many missing plats & combinations bingo ?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

coins1111
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Why so many missing plats & combinations bingo ?

Post by coins1111 »

Looking through the statistics on EBTCheck, I noticed that some users living in the eurozone have a lot of missing plats and combinations bingo. I started enter notes about 2 years ago, in a country where the euro is not popular. I entered about 8500 notes and my statistics are better than those of many residents of the eurozone, which entered a lot more bills than me. Why is that ? Explain, please.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Why so many missing plats & combinations bingo ?

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Well, some - or maybe even all - combos become less and less likely to find the farther you are from their production site or places of initial distribution or pooling. Paradoxically, living outside the Euro Area may be an advantage in this bingo. The euro notes that end up in Minsk banks and exchange offices are, I should imagine, truly from all over Europe.

There's also the issue that many users don't have easy access to many big notes ( :note-100: :note-200: :note-500: ). Those denominations alone account for many combinations (in my case, even registering a :note-50: is a somewhat rare ocorrence).
coins1111
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by coins1111 »

Well, some - or maybe even all - combos become less and less likely to find the farther you are from their production site or places of initial distribution or pooling. Paradoxically, living outside the Euro Area may be an advantage in this bingo.
Thanks for the explanation.
The euro notes that end up in Minsk banks and exchange offices are, I should imagine, truly from all over Europe
This is only partly true.Banknotes printed for Belarus are also common here. For example, a lot of old 20 e/x and 10f/n.
There's also the issue that many users don't have easy access to many big notes ( :note-100: :note-200: :note-500: ). Those denominations alone account for many combinations (in my case, even registering a :note-50: is a somewhat rare ocorrence)
Why is that ? Large bills are not a problem in Belarus. When I buy euros, the cashier always tries to give out large denomination notes. For example, the € 100 bill is very popular with us. 200 and 500 too. but unfortunately all 200 are r/x and 500 r/x, f/n.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

coins1111 wrote: Why is that ? Large bills are not a problem in Belarus. When I buy euros, the cashier always tries to give out large denomination notes. For example, the € 100 bill is very popular with us. 200 and 500 too. but unfortunately all 200 are r/x and 500 r/x, f/n.
I think the reason for this is that ATMs are filled with notes, you'd typically use for daily expenses. Therefore, notes of denominations :note-5: - :note-50: are the most logical ones. Notes larger than :note-50: aren't that common. Partly, I think, because they are not used that often (for mere practical reasons). Secondly, I'd say, that some people are still used to pre-Euro currencies (I was born a couple of years before the introduction of the Euro and don't remember much of the old :flag-de: DM) and still "calculate" in these currencies. And then a certain amount of your old money equals a certain amount in Euros. Considering which types of notes were common before the Euro, this may also play a role in using certain €-notes.

For example: notes in German ATMs are mostly :note-5: - :note-50: , with some banks having no :note-5: and some have :note-100: as addition. :note-200: are hardly available anywhere. :note-500: could be found from time to time but since :note-500: aren't printed anymore (sort of semi-abolished; old notes remain legal tender).
In the Netherlands, a country I have also lived for a small amount of time, most of the ATMs offer :note-10: to :note-50: only. Very, very selected few ATMs of one of the largest Dutch banks offer :note-5: , one had :note-100: some years ago but this has stopped as far as I know. On the other hand, I get/got the impression, that Dutch banks want to "educate" their customers to not use cash at all. The number of bank branches decreases since years and so does the number of ATMs whereas cashless payments are possible nearly everywhere; laso for small amounts (at least, my impression).
When banks decided to offer :note-10: - :note-50: it was said that this was a) according to what people want and b) what could be offered without the need to refill the ATM too soon which also costs the banks money.

In your case, I could imagine that cashiers want to keep their stock of notes as long as possible (I don't know how often they receive new money and if they do, how much they get) so paying out large amounts in notes of :note-100: / :note-200: / :note-500: is, then, only logical
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
coins1111
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by coins1111 »

Thank you for the explanation.
Secondly, I'd say, that some people are still used to pre-Euro currencies (I was born a couple of years before the introduction of the Euro and don't remember much of the old :flag-de: DM) and still "calculate" in these currencies. And then a certain amount of your old money equals a certain amount in Euros. Considering which types of notes were common before the Euro, this may also play a role in using certain €-notes.
very interesting assumption
In the Netherlands, a country I have also lived for a small amount of time, most of the ATMs offer :note-10: to :note-50: only. Very, very selected few ATMs of one of the largest Dutch banks offer :note-5: , one had :note-100: some years ago but this has stopped as far as I know. On the other hand, I get/got the impression, that Dutch banks want to "educate" their customers to not use cash at all.
Belarusian tourists told that the shops in Holland did not want to accept not only 500 and 200, but also 100 from them. Many stores have advertisements that these bills are not accepted for payment. As well as visa / mastercard payment cards. And for example, in Austria, 500 banknotes were not surprising to anyone.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Austria, I think, is one of the few countries where you can say big notes are common in ATM's.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”