What does "Premier numéro de la charge 1" mean?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

djapal
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

What does "Premier numéro de la charge 1" mean?

Post by djapal »

Hello all.

Sorry if this has been already anwered.
Couldn't find anything related.

I see at http://liste.eurobillets.free.fr/ site some rare entries stating e.g. at 10 euro section

2/1/V/G2 G002 W. D. 54 billets / A1 et I6 De A6 à I1 200
V000000 (= A6) RRRR Premier numéro de la charge 1.

or

2/1/M/U1 M Portugal U001 W. D. 54 billets / A1 et I6 De A6 à I1 35
M2000000 (= A6) RRRRR Premier numéro de la charge 1.

Can someone help me understand what that means and why these are rare compared to the others?

Thank you very much!
djapal
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: What does "Premier numéro de la charge 1" mean?

Post by djapal »

I accidentally opened a new topic and a new post at another topic, so I'm pasting G.S. response here for everyone

Everything has a beginning (a philosophical principle from antiquity...)
It turns out that the printers of the first series of euro banknotes had their own printing systems. The numbering of the printed banknotes was (and still is) very different between printers. For example, charge 1 of the Portuguese (M) banknotes and subsequent charges contain 1,000 sheets, while charge 1 (and subsequent charges) of the V banknotes contain 100,000 sheets, not to mention the Italian or French banknotes, whose charges contain 1 million sheets. This puts into perspective the rarity of some early issues of certain prints, now often impossible for a collector to find.
I wanted to show the beginning of the printing in offset/and or typographic of the first number of the first charge which is the jewel of a collection, which the discoverers of the site EBT point out and which any specialized collector seeks...
As I presented in my catalogue, the offset printing of the banknotes (e.g. A1 to J6) may not correspond to the letterpress printing of the numbers on the reverse side, e.g. the Portuguese 5€ banknotes printed from A1 to J6 in offset are numbered from J6 (M100000) to A1 (M100059) in letterpress (first charge).
It would be tedious to present all the charges of all the printers, see the remarkable site of guilcenc(corrispondenza tra codice corto e seriale)

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”