Cotton yes, but from where…

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

ungatofeliz
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Cotton yes, but from where…

Post by ungatofeliz »

Ello EBT fam, was wondering if anyone could point me towards sources that specify where the EU member national banks get the cotton that they print our precious moneys on, given that not much, if any, cotton is produced in the EU
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Cotton yes, but from where…

Post by lmviterbo »

Some time ago, I collected (from some reliable source which unfrotunately I can't point into any longer) a list of all the paper mills certified to process the paper made out of the cotton sources you're looking for.

VHP Security Paper @ Ugchelen, Apeldoorn :flag-nl:
De La Rue @ Overton :flag-uk:
Arjowiggins Security SAS @ Jouy-sur-Morin :flag-fr:
Papeterie de la Banque de France (EuropaFi) @ Cité de la Banque de France, Vic-le-Comte :flag-fr:
Fábrica de Papel de Burgos (F.N.M.T.), Burgos :flag-es:
Fedrigoni SpA @ Fabriano :flag-it:
Landqart AG @ Landqart :flag-ch:
Papierfabrik Louisenthal GmbH @ Gmund am Tegernsee :flag-de:
Crane AB @ Tumba :flag-se:

I am not sure if all these are still valid. Nor if there are any new contender.

As to what you're looking for, the best I found was a page on the Fleur-de-coin website, claiming that
Fleur-de-coin wrote:Cotton grown in the American South, in Africa or on the steppes of Central Asia is the basic ingredient in euro banknote "paper" […]
It's nice to know that, according to the ECB
wrote:The ECB and the Eurosystem NCBs are implementing policies to minimise the environmental impact of the production of euro banknotes. For example, in 2020 two-thirds of the approximately 7,500 tonnes of cotton fibres (the main raw material) used to produce banknote paper was certified as originating from an environmentally and socially sustainable source. The ECB is strongly committed to increasing the amount of sustainable cotton in euro banknote paper to 100%.
Somehow, it seems that although in 2020 one third of the cotton fibres was not sustainable (as per above), somehow in 2023 all of it will comply to this requirement.
Environmental sustainability @ Banco de España:
Banco de España wrote:[…] by 2023 all euro banknotes will be produced entirely from sustainable cotton.
Cash and sustainability @ Banco de Portugal:
Banco de Portugal wrote:The minimum requirement currently stands at 50% of sustainable cotton fibres, rising to 75% for banknote production needs in 2022. The objective is that, by 2023, 100% of the cotton in euro banknote paper production will come from sustainable sources, limited only by the availability of this raw material. The paper used in the production of euro banknotes allocated to the Banco de Portugal in 2021 is made of 91% of sustainable cotton fibres.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”