Hits from non-€ countries!

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 am

LUCKY - WHY ME?

Sometimes, but just sometimes, you get so lucky that first you don't believe it - and then after you feel like being guilty of inflating the idea of being lucky.

HITS FROM A TREASURY BOX OF A SAILING SHIP

My first out-of eurozone-hit (United Arab Emirates - Finland) took place some time ago and it is already mentioned in this thread. I wasn't really looking for a hit as went to sail as an overqualified deckhand on Fair trade sailing ship s/v Estelle in England and Scotland in September. For further information concerning the ship (i.e. that it exists), see www.estelle.fi (also in English).

As I had the chance to exchange all the small euro notes from the treasury box of the ship, I did so. I knew the notes may have come from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Travemunde, Helsingör, Rostock, Szczecin, Stockholm, Tallinn, Kotka, Århus, Karlskrona, Gdansk, Rostock, Helsinki or Turku during the 19th of May to the 4th of September. See the map if you don't know these places already.

DREAM COMES TRUE

The notes turned out to be a dream come true for an ebter. There were 123 notes of which there were not less than four non-euro-zone-hits. I wish I checked the (not so many) bigger notes as well but I did not.

Anyway the hits were:

with Klazu,

with Prynde,

with Eliezer, and

with lentiira.

BUT YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER

All the hit partners were in Finland. Two of them I have met in EBT-meetings (Prynde and Eliezer) and one we all know from these pages (Klazu). What was surprising is that all the places that the notes come from are small places, towns or villages, and mainly just places they had visited.

OH NO FINLAND AGAIN

The hits come from Finland and this is no surprise as the hit ratio in Finland is lower than in other places were the ship had stopped. Still I wish there were at least one hit some other country but no. You just can't have it all, do you.

HITRATIO FOR SAILING SHIPS IS 30,75 FOR NON-EUROZONE-HITS

In Finland the hit ratio is lower than in the rest of the Europe. In Finland the hit ratio is quite diverse, from 38 of Anjalankoski to 59 of my own town Kajaani (up North) and even reaching the level of the rest of the Europe in some places.

The non-euro-zone-hit-ratio for sailing ships (not sailing boats) is 30,75 from this on, if you don't go to a sailing ship and let us know differently. And if you do, I'll say the 30,75 hit ratio still goes with the European fair trade sailing ships.

A HIT WITH A DIFFERENCE

A hit with the history of having traveled with a 52 meter long iron made sailing ship is a special one I think. These notes were actually there in the treasury box (though they were not supposed to be there as the coins and small notes from (open to public in some ports) cafeteria should be moved to bank daily for security reasons).

If I did not track them were they were, they would have been changed to pounds in Edinburg (to be pronounced as "Edinbro", against the grammar) or be taken back to Scandinavia and exchanged in Norway, Denmark, Sweden - or spend in Finland.

WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST LEAVE THEM THERE?

For some people it is most annoying that I did not leave the notes in the treasury box after taking the serial numbers. But as the person responsible for the treasury box got rid of the small notes I had no chance to change them back. Honestly I didn't even try. So I took most of the notes back to Finland, but Northern Finland this time.

VIVA BLYTH !

Isn't it strange that I am more satisfied with the fact that I was the first one to enter a note in Blyth and made Blyth enter the British top 20, than finding four non-eurozone-hits? Maybe it's because people in Blyth were so nice.

Even people from big-brother-to-Blyth Newcastle (people that we recruited there), just 15 miles South of Blyth, found the place so much nicer than they had ever thought.

So whenever going to England and North Humberland, why not visit the sleeping fishing village called Blyth where everything is within walking distance.

Puupen W enpen

PS. London has 6, Blyth 4 hits. Newcastle?

PS2. Who is first one to say they were not Blyth-hits but Finnish hits as it was a Finnish sailing ship? If we take the official port of a ship to be the hit place, we are going to have several interesting hits as so many ships are sailing under most strange flags nowadays for taxation reasons.

lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:48 pm

These were great hits... it really shocked me to see Blyth get so many hits :D
Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:PS. London has 6, Blyth 4 hits. Newcastle?
:( No hits for Newcastle - YET! But one day there will be... and I managed to gain the first hit for NE England from the small village where I live, just 10 km from Newcastle (and Blyth!)

It's great you enjoyed your trip to the North East. Blyth's an interesting place - but not many people I know have been so postive about the place. It has a reputation locally for breeding tough people (probably due to its heritage as a coal-mining area)....

Incidentally, Northumberland Blyth's postcode is NE24 (you used the postcode for one of the other Blyths).

Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:14 pm

lazza wrote:These were great hits... it really shocked me to see Blyth get so many hits :D
Thank you. It was a bit surprising for me as well.
lazza wrote:Incidentally, Northumberland Blyth's postcode is NE24 (you used the postcode for one of the other Blyths).
I got the postcode from the receipt received from Morrisons supermarket. Now I notice that both the Morrisons of Blyth and Alnwick have the same postcode BD3 7DL so it probably refers to the head office of the supermarket chain. Thank's for letting me know it's wrong. I already corrected it in each one of the hit notes. And I try to remember to correct them from all the new Blyth hits to come. Normally it takes more than 100 days for my notes to travel from my home town Kajaani to other towns or cities where they are found. I let you know when Blyth gets it's 5th hit.

Puup W enpen

Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 pm

lazza wrote: - - :( No hits for Newcastle - YET! But one day there will be...
If I had a day off earlier on the ship, all the hits would have taken place in Newcastle. But I was just too busy with work (i.e. fixing the ship) and leisure (i.e. heating the sauna of the ship) so that EBT never occurred to my mind in Newcastle before it was too late.

There is just one single fiver from Newcastle that I took to Finland. It was exchanged from the donations box of the mess on the day of departure. I hope it will be found one day as there is an interesting story behind it. I'll tell you more after the hit. Don't keep your breath in the meanwhile.

Puupen Woo pen

Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:50 pm

@Puupenni: I hope you have used the hit notes at least in normal daily use and not taken them into some local bank to wait for someone. That would ruin the very nice hits. Of course I hope the notes would be found again, but within time and by luck. You seem to have plenty of that so I sure one hit will still appear. :)
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).

lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:
laz wrote:Incidentally, Northumberland Blyth's postcode is NE24 (you used the postcode for one of the other Blyths).
I got the postcode from the receipt received from Morrisons supermarket. Now I notice that both the Morrisons of Blyth and Alnwick have the same postcode BD3 7DL so it probably refers to the head office of the supermarket chain. Thank's for letting me know it's wrong. I already corrected it in each one of the hit notes. And I try to remember to correct them from all the new Blyth hits to come. Normally it takes more than 100 days for my notes to travel from my home town Kajaani to other towns or cities where they are found. I let you know when Blyth gets it's 5th hit.

Puup W enpen
Aha! That explains it - Morrisons HQ is near Bradford (BD postcode). The only other Blyth I know is near Nottingham (NG), so seeing a BD postcode was surprising.

Looking forward to seeing the next hits for England's most northerly county :wink:

starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

hits

Post by starcapitan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 pm

I think it's very :lol: that there are hits between 2 non € countries
FB profilo , 24 hits anche internationals, searching for the first triple ;0)
Segnalatore del 1° tracciatore di Liegi e di Varazze
girls legs SUPERFAN

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: hits

Post by yli » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:58 pm

starcapitan wrote:I think it's very :lol: that there are hits between 2 non € countries
There is at least one of such hit, between Estonia and Turkey
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:

lazza
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lazza » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 pm

yli wrote:
starcapitan wrote:I think it's very :lol: that there are hits between 2 non € countries
And of course, this one which started out this thread... :)

Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:
lazza wrote:These were great hits... it really shocked me to see Blyth get so many hits - - Incidentally, Northumberland Blyth's postcode is NE24 (you used the postcode for one of the other Blyths).
- - I already corrected it in each one of the hit notes. And I try to remember to correct them from all the new Blyth hits to come. Normally it takes more than 100 days for my notes to travel from my home town Kajaani to other towns or cities where they are found. I let you know when Blyth gets it's 5th hit.

Puup W enpen
Congratulations to lazza and all the inhabitants of the England's most northerly county, especially those living in Blyth:

http://en.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=36953775

The municipality of Blyth decided to invite sailing ship s/v Estelle for a visit free of port charges. The original plan was to sail to Hull but their port authorities decided to charge £ 5 000 to stay there. So we participated the Wilberforce Fair Trade Festival in Hull by a van instead. Telling this I hope the municipality of Blyth now gets all the honor it reserves for it's kindness.

One more time the notes that I use in my home town Kajaani will be found elsewhere in Finland. That's how it goes. This time the note went 200 km South to Kuopio. Karttula is a municipality very closely connected to the city of Kuopio (that you can find on the map), and the village Syvänniemi (litterally: Deep cape or Heart cape if understood in dialect) is a place that I have never visited so I cannot tell you more.

Now Blyth has 5 hits and London 6 hits. Most of my notes are entered with a wrong postal code (see above). I promise to correct all the notes that I have entered with the wrong postal code, but right now Miss A is quite impatient to take me to a pub to celebrate this hit so I'll do it later, if you don't mind. Tomorrow I'm busy and next week I have to go to Stockholm but after that I will - I hope.

Yours,

Puup W enpen

Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:09 pm

I wouldn't concider those 100% British hits, as Finland is involved with every one of them. So perhaps there is not so much place for enjoyment as London is soon passed by some small Blyth...

Either way it's nice to see that some notes brought back to Finland can still be found. :idea:
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).

Puupenni - Wooden Penny
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Puupenni - Wooden Penny » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:34 pm

If you ever were desperate and thought your luck has changed for good and you never ever find a hit again, you better say it out loud and clear when commenting the note.

For a Finn more than 300 notes entered without a hit is a disaster. That happened to me once so I started to count the notes entered in EBT without a hit. I marked the number in every note from about 300 to 407.

Now the numbers 321, 328, 346, 406 and 407 have already been found.

This hit really made my day:

http://fi.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=27906080

Congratulations to Fons whose first hit to Sweden just took place. It's the first Swedish hit to the Netherlands as well!

I can assure you that this note really came from Sweden as it was received at the Swedish archipelago on a ship leaving from Stockholm. Where it came to Sweden is not hard to guess. By the way another note that I got during the same trip on the same ship was marked to Helsinki, Finland.

I visited Amsterdam April 17th to 27th in 2007. If this note came with me to Holland, it must have been one of my so called lucky notes that I always keep as personal catastrophy fund well hidden in my wallet (or luggage). If the note came with me, it has also visited Helsinki (Kallio), Vantaa (airport), Kajaani, Kuopio, Kajaani again, Vantaa (airport) again, Helsinki again, Vantaa for the third time, Kajaani for the third time, Vantaa airport for the fourth time, Helsinki for the third time, Vantaa airport for the fifth time, Kajaani for the fourth time, Jyväskylä, Kajaani the fifth time, Vantaa the sixth time, Turku, Vantaa the seventh time, Kajaani the sixth time, Vantaa the eight time, Helsinki the fourth time, Vantaa the nineth time and finally A'dam, tells my diary.

But we are not interested where the note comes from or it's history but where it has been entered in EBT, are we?

Comment your notes, please. Commenting them is what makes them interesting. Why not writing a poem!

Now I'm leaving Kajaani (my home town) after a couple of hours for a sailing trip at the Finnish archipelago (Åland). Let's see what kind of hits there are waiting for me.

Yours

Puup W enpen

PS. Thanks Fons for this hit, too: http://fi.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=27594475

bhoeyb NLI

Post by bhoeyb NLI » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 am

Puupenni - Wooden Penny wrote:This hit really made my day:

http://fi.eurobilltracker.com/notes/?id=27906080

Congratulations to Fons whose first hit to Sweden just took place. It's the first Swedish hit to the Netherlands as well!
Thanks Fons for showing this note at EBTM Turnhout 26-7-08 :) . It's used but still in good condition.

Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi Wooden Penny,

I'm very happy with this hit, I was very suprised to see a Swedish flag at the hit report.
Thanks a lot!!!

Fons.

romanm
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by romanm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:47 pm

lazza wrote:
yli wrote:
And of course, this one which started out this thread... :)
As of today, besides the two hits, mentioned above, there is just one additional hit from 10th November 2005, and it also involves Estonia: (Finland) - Estonia - Russia.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”