Clean and New Banknotes - Dirty and Greasy Banknotes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

In warm countries, Euronotes get dirty more quickly

Yes, most banknotes from warm countries are greasy!
23%
Don't be stupid! It just depands on the people in general, the country doesn't matter!
23%
Ño. I think in the colder countries are the most dirty banknotes!
5%
I just don't know, I have never been watching this...
20%
Maybe you are right, but why should we start a poll about this topic?
22%
I allways wash my banknotes first, so I can not tell you!
7%

Total votes: 60

hebben-en-houden
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Clean and New Banknotes - Dirty and Greasy Banknotes

Post by hebben-en-houden »

I have the idea, that there are differences between the countries in the handling of banknotes during the day to day money transactions.

In some (warm) countries like Portugal, most people just put the money into the pocket, in cold countries, like Holland, most people use a wallet.

This poll is to find out, if I am right!
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

I don't think that it is a question of north and south. Somewhere else in the forum, there was mentioned that Irishmen don't use wallets.
I got relatively many fresh notes from Italy.
Another point is: Will the national banks in the countries withdraw notes sooner (little polluted) or later (really dirty)?
Cleanliness of money has different priorities in the individual countries. Also the appearence of the coins is different. I did not find any glossy coins in Greece. The Greeks seem to take less care for the surface of freshly minted coins.
There is also a thread in the forum about the habit of writing things on notes. This seems to be widely spread in Italy.
Here in Germany many people consider money as property of the legal authorities and treat it carefully. Speaking for myself, I feel kind of personally offended when I am given an extremely dirty, damaged or wrinkled note.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

Most foreign banknotes I've seen are always heavy used. The most dirty damaged notes I've seen in Ireland. The most new looking ones in Finland.
Many of the Belgian ones are very used too.

But if you go to Africa or Venezuela, most banknotes are very used. But mostly, they don't use our Euro.

But if someone is very curious about this, I want to check the quality of Euro banknotes in French Guyana or Guadeloupe if you can pay the airplane ticket :wink: :lol:.
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

I agree the ones with prefix T are limp,soiled,and poor condition. While 90% of Finnish notes are clean,crisp and fresh looking. :D
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

probably in Finland where people use gloves for months, the notes are cleaner.. but I don't know if we can generalize like that...

I think the main reason notes are so dirty in Africa is simply because they are really old, they can't substitute notes very often... that's expensive, and African notes are generaly made in Europe.. so they import their own notes.. they can't do it many times, and probably in Africa, more then in other place, people take good care of their notes, because they have so few money... :roll:

bn 8)
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

BossaNova wrote: African notes are generaly made in Europe.. so they import their own notes..
Most of them were made by the Banque de France. I don't know if it's still the case...

Olivier
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

BossaNova wrote:probably in Finland where people use gloves for months, the notes are cleaner..
Here, in Quebec, people also wear gloves. We have had our first snow storm last night. 15cm of snow in front of my door...

But have you ever tried to pay with gloves? :D Quite hard to choose a coin in the bottom of your wallet!

People just take them off. :)

Olivier
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti »

Olivier wrote:But have you ever tried to pay with gloves? Quite hard to choose a coin in the bottom of your wallet!
That's so true. Taking gloves on and off can get irritating when moving and shopping in the winter.
I think the real reason for the condition of Finnish notes is the respect the people show towards them
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:But have you ever tried to pay with gloves? Quite hard to choose a coin in the bottom of your wallet!
That's so true. Taking gloves on and off can get irritating when moving and shopping in the winter.
I think the real reason for the condition of Finnish notes is the respect the people show towards them
True!

Does it snow in Finland? We have already had a snow storm, here, in Quebec. There is at least 15 cm of snow in front of my appartment.

Olivier
Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Petri6 »

Yes, it snows in Finland. Well today was a warmer day (0 C), but last week it was -5C to -15C and I live in southern Finland.
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti »

Today it's still warm and it's raining so the ground is covered by mixture of water and wet snow (we call that loska). At least that's for the southern Finland. But the forecast says there will be a snowstorm tonight, so maybe we'll have snow tommorow :) , or much more loska :(

btw, petri is it just an accident that the 6 after your name looks pretty much like G? (For those who don't know, Petri G refers to Petri Gerdt, who exploded himself and six other people in a shopping centre in Finland this fall)
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by K3lvin »

Antti wrote:btw, petri is it just an accident that the 6 after your name looks pretty much like G? (For those who don't know, Petri G refers to Petri Gerdt, who exploded himself and six other people in a shopping centre in Finland this fall)
I thought the same thing when I saw his first post. And in addition to that, I read his location "Myyrmäki" but it says "Mynämäki"
For those who don't know about this, here's some links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2322275.stm
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10 ... index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10 ... index.html
Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Petri6 »

Wow you guys have a fast imagination. The 6 is just a six, It comes from my other username (The name Petri wasn't available, and the system said that closest available was Petri6).

And the Mynämäki has nothing to do with Myyrmäki. Mynämäki is an village (about 6000 people) near Turku and that's where I live. It should be in almost all maps of Finland , if you wanna check.
Mauz
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Mauz »

If notes are cleaner in Finland, it could be because we actually do not use so much cash here - least in Europe in relation to gross national product, in fact. Many prefer credit/debit cards and other kinds of "electronic payment". And because of those cards, people have wallets, where also notes stay unfolded and unwrinkled.
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Antti »

Petri6 wrote:Wow you guys have a fast imagination. The 6 is just a six, It comes from my other username (The name Petri wasn't available, and the system said that closest available was Petri6).
It doesn't take a lot imagination to thinkk that way, you registered to this forum quite soon after the explosion. When I saw the text: newest user to register is Petri6 I immediately connected it with Petri Gerdt, but I didn't ask you about it unti until now. But I never noticed that the name Mynämäki is close to Myyrmäki, probably because Mynämäki is quite close to me.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”