total amount of euro notes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Flanor
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

total amount of euro notes

Post by Flanor »

I am relatively new to eurobilltracker (entered 70 notes) but I must say I find it very interesting. Although most things are clear to me I had one question: does anybody know how many euronotes are made so far?
nothing is just satire
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Let's see..

Before 1.1.2002: 14890 million and 1910 million
2002: 4780 million
2003: 3092 million
2004: 1579 million
2005: 3630 million
2006: 7000 million
== ad 31.12.2006: 36881 million banknotes
(2007: 6300 million)

On the other hand, the same site tells us that there are currently 10610 million banknotes in circulation. Yes, there are still lots of notes that haven't been entered in EBT :wink:

For reference, there are currently about 23,5 million notes in EBT's database.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
golfinha
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by golfinha »

avij wrote: Yes, there are still lots of notes that haven't been entered in EBT

And a lot will never be :(
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

avij wrote:Before 1.1.2002: 14890 million and 1910 million
2002: 4780 million
2003: 3092 million
2004: 1579 million
2005: 3630 million

On the other hand, the same site tells us that there are currently 10610 million banknotes in circulation.
so 29881 million banknotes have been made until the end of 2005
strangely, until then, only 11341 million banknotes have been destroyed, so if I assume that the amount of notes in circulation hasn't changed that much, about 8000 million banknotes are hidden away from circulation :roll:
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Right. Perhaps the missing notes are in the Eurosystem Strategic Stock (ESS) -- "some two billion banknotes", the number may have grown since that article was published, though. I'm also guessing that they've reserved some notes for the new Euro countries and they don't show up as being in being circulation yet.
Flanor
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flanor »

thank you avij. The notes of 2003 and later, were they printed in that year or just brought into circulation in that specific year by the bank? As far as I know notes with 2003 on them don't exist.
nothing is just satire
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

All the euro notes printed so far have the same copyright year, 2002, even if the notes have been printed some other year. So there are certainly notes printed in 2003 (and 2004-2006) in circulation.

The numbers I quoted refer to production, but for the most part, those notes have also been put into circulation.
Flanor
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flanor »

so that would mean we have currently entered:
(23,6/36881)*100%=0,064%
or
(23,6/10610)*100%=0.222%
ofcourse this isn't exactly true because It doesn't account for the destroyed notes but it does show us we still have a long way to go :(
nothing is just satire
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Those numbers translate to hitratios of 450,45 or 1562,5.
However, the total hitratio is 274,35 and the Finnish hitratio is 87,38.
So, the Finns seem to have reached a percentage of about 1,144%, which seems to be quite close to the peak. Might be that something like 1,5% or miraculously even 2% could still be possible, but that'll still take several years.
But I figure that percentage of over 1% should eventually be reachable by all Euroland states.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Flanor
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flanor »

area's with a large number of eurobilltrackers like the netherlands or Finland have a higher hitratio ofcourse and I am not sure if the total amount of notes I used in my calculation are actually in circulation, a lot of them might just lay in the bank because a lot of people will have longterm saving deposist, the amount of notes who actually go from hand to hand may be smaller.
nothing is just satire
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Flanor wrote:area's with a large number of eurobilltrackers like the netherlands or Finland have a higher hitratio ofcourse and I am not sure if the total amount of notes I used in my calculation are actually in circulation, a lot of them might just lay in the bank because a lot of people will have longterm saving deposist, the amount of notes who actually go from hand to hand may be smaller.
Well, one could count away the areas with (currently) exceptionally good hitratios, and I believe the hitratio would be around that 1:500..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
peter_at
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by peter_at »

Comparing the hitratio with the ratio of entered notes is not so easy. Of course the different ratios in different countries play an important role, but there is annother effect that should contribute even more: the different ratios for different face values. According to ECB only 12% of the aforementioned 10610 million banknotes in circulation are 5ers, whereas about a third of the notes entered in EBT are 5ers, which cause more than 50% of the hits. So I would expect (this is a quick guess now) that one should expect that this leads to a deviation by a factor 3-5. But check and calculate the ratios for each denomination separetly!

By the way, have a look on the nice Christmas peaks in the circulation charts.
Flanor
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Flanor »

Thank you for that enlightening piece peter, seems like I have to start entering more 5ers :) The Christmas peak is indeed interesting, I didn't know so much Europeans spend so much money on it. I can only imagine what the christmas peak in the USA would look like.
nothing is just satire
Pfandbrief
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

US Money Supply

Post by Pfandbrief »

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/ ... 6hist1.txt, the third column is the interesting one to see seasonality in US money supply. Travellers Cheques and thelike are included here. I would guess that for M0 (true cash) the christmas peak is not that big in the US, as they generally use less cash and a big chunk of US Dollars are in the stores of drug barons, etc.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”