Another thing for you dot hunters to keep yourselves busy!

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Another thing for you dot hunters to keep yourselves busy!

Post by Chiel »

Yes, my dear fellow trackers. Although I'm not at all a dot hunter myself, I thought of a new dot hunting aim when I came across NOW1K's dot map: Why not try to write your name in dots? Or your initials for that matter. If you take a look at the map, you can clearly see the letters T and I being formed in northern Spain. Of course you will need a relatively large part of your map.

I'm interested to see if this is just my imagination gone mad, or if there really is someone crazy enough to try it!.....and receive eternal fame and honour in return, if he/she succeeds.
Money in hand, that´s buying / Penger i hånden, det er kjøp --- Erlend Loe
de*lerger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by de*lerger »

In September last year I had the idea to write EBT in northern Spain. But after checking my dotmap I decided the route and detours would be too long. Part of it would be in a mountainous area.
My map
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Well this is something to try to establish. I won't be trying it, but you who will be, keep in mind that one dot is pretty large, so you have to drive A LOT even to write one letter!
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
N0W1K
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Another thing for you dot hunters to keep yourselves busy!

Post by N0W1K »

Chiel wrote:I'm interested to see if this is just my imagination gone mad, or if there really is someone crazy enough to try it!.....and receive eternal fame and honour in return, if he/she succeeds.
Well I never tried it, but looking my map you can see these: T, I, Q. It was never prepared is the way that my bf and I make routes around Spain. :D

Ahh and the T starts in France :P

I don't know wich were the cities that I missed, in France, between the T and the I :roll:
Member of the European Association of Eurobilltrackers (A2E)
cvbj

I think its too much trouble, but it could be a nice holiday

Post by cvbj »

Since you only need one bill to get a dot and about 20 to 30 kms to get dots connecting to each other, it would need some careful planning, some space on your dot map, and nothing else to do, so if a try should be made be sure to be without company, but a calculating mind should be able to write EBT on his dotmap in about three days. The driving would be somewhere between 1000 and 1500 km's, which is doable, it's the planning and the one track mind you would need for this job, that i lack, so find some space on your dot maps and give it a go, if you leave it up to me it will take years.
Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Chiel »

Maybe several EBT members could accompany each other on a holiday to, let's say, Northern Finland, where they're linkely to have enough open space on their maps... :)
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

But Northern Finland is sooooo empty that some dots will remain empty just
because there is no source of getting bills (shop, bank, ATM, etc.), I have
been there and have seen it myself! :twisted: Therefore you run the risk of
getting an incomplete picture which will never be completed (unless every-
body moves to Northern Finland).

Scoring dots in Northern Finland can be very challenging, BTW! :wink:
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

And the problem in Lappland isn't just getting note in the wilderness; It's mainly the fact that a very large area is covered by just one post code. So the notes always end up in the same coordinates.
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
B I V O L
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by B I V O L »

You should be very good geographers. I would try this too, but our country is so small on Europe map. :roll:
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

Klazu wrote:
Chiel wrote:Why not try to write your name in dots?
Keep in mind that one dot is pretty large, so you have to drive A LOT even to write one letter!
Another problem, which would at least let me fail:
If you're a dothunter and on such a huge trip, you need MUCH discipline to decline the dots you could have but need to stay empty for the letters to appear :wink:
But well, if I have everything in blue one day, I'll maybe try to write in green on it :twisted:
B I V O L wrote:You should be very good geographers. I would try this too, but our country is so small on Europe map. :roll:
Have a look at wisi's overlay for Google-Maps :)
You can scroll down for your country and zoom in than, unfortunately Google-maps' data for Slovenia is still poor but it gives a good orientation for the location of the dots anyway.
With this we managed to catch all dots in southern Slovenia during a stay of just 4 days 8)

Just a raw example, you can zoom there for much more details:
B I V O L
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by B I V O L »

Thank you Licht & Feuer. On this EBT-google map we can´t see dots or?

I wish you a nice ball for a beach. :wink:
Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Chiel »

Each square in the grid of this map represents a dot. Notes retrieved from various locations within one square will be represented on the EBT map with 1 dot.
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Licht & Feuer wrote:Have a look at wisi's overlay for Google-Maps :)
Those can't be completely exact. I was in Bremen two months ago and received notes both in north part (University, Science Park) and sout part (airport) of the city and I only gained one dot in my map. An according to the Google maps here the line goes right through the city.
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

B I V O L wrote:I wish you a nice ball for a beach. :wink:
Thanks a lot, I'm still looking for :lol:
Klazu wrote:The overlay for Google-Maps can't be completely exact. I was in Bremen two months ago and received notes both in north part (University, Science Park) and sout part (airport) of the city and I only gained one dot in my map. An according to the Google maps here the line goes right through the city.
Hm, the map should be exact as it is fixed on the same koordinates EBT uses for the dots if I understood wisi correctly.
But maybe the koordinates for Bremen are not exact and instead of beeing fixed to the different postcode-aereas they link to the center of the city, maybe someone from the city-moderators can check this :?:
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

If Klazu doesn't mind, I'll tell that he has entered notes from 28199 (53.069, 8.789), 28195 (53.0751, 8.8045) and 28359 (53.0751, 8.8045). If some of these coordinates are incorrect, we'll be glad to fix them, although this is already veering a bit offtopic..
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”