phpBB3

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: phpBB3

Post by avij »

Alright, we've now upgraded to phpBB v3.0.2. The new style may need, um, a bit getting used to :wink: but other than that, the new version looks quite capable of various things.

If you spot any oddities which you regard as bugs or regressions, please report them here. Thanks.

Known issues which are likely to be fixed soon:
  • My sig doesn't work
  • RSS feeds do not work (no released RSS mod exists for phpBB v3, needs more research)
  • The EBT logo looks weird (fixed)
  • No link to EBT (fixed)
  • No link to Netiquette (fixed)
  • If you have non-ascii characters in your password, you may need to get a new password (unlikely to be "fixed", just get a new password and be done with it)
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Ralf
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ralf »

Nice update :)
But personally I like more the user ''profile'' on the left than on the right side of the post.
magpie
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by magpie »

I think the new design is really uncomfortable to look at because there so many moving icons in the forum indices. Maybe one should assign a different icon to "hot" topics...
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

sorry, but this looks awful :roll:
why do we need this "upgrade"?
Can this PHPBB3 be edited in some way to make it look more comfortable?
for example:
- put the user boxes back to the left side, this is like every other forum does it
- those subject lines of every message "Re: phpBB3" look very big, they are useless anyway, no one has used them to communicate in the past
- do we really need this "report this post" system where everyone can feel like police? Don't the mods do their job quite well without such "help"?
- I don't like this red colour of the edit, quote and post reply icons :P
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

It's true that we all need to get used to the new lay-out... Let's give it a chance.

I would like to know if the new version would answer a request made by several users : the possibility to have the forum functions in other languages then English ; especially the welcoming of new users. I am obviously thinking in priority of Latin users that are less familiar in handling software in English.
rakoon
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by rakoon »

The people who dislikes de new visual style can change it in "User control panel" --> "Board preferences" --> "My board style" and change it to "Subsilver2".
I prefer the old style and with that option its quite similar, the only change is that you have some new options, but the visual style its the same.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

if you click on "User Control Panel" (you first have to find that link) and then "Board preferences", you find a menu "My language:", but the only entry is "British English"

I have the feeling that you have to read too much English text until you understand how this new forum works. And someone who does not speak English very well will perhaps not find the place to change the language
Craco
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by Craco »

rakoon wrote:The people who dislikes de new visual style can change it in "User control panel" --> "Board preferences" --> "My board style" and change it to "Subsilver2".
I prefer the old style and with that option its quite similar, the only change is that you have some new options, but the visual style its the same.
Indeed, we did just install the Subsilver2-style, which is looking like the "old style". So for users, who prefer this style can set it like described by rakoon.
If there are other issues / questions /remarks, just post them here.

Greetzz,
Craco
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

rakoon wrote:The people who dislikes de new visual style can change it in "User control panel" --> "Board preferences" --> "My board style" and change it to "Subsilver2".
thank you very much, now it looks nearly like before :D
Kleman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Kleman »

Ralf wrote:Nice update :)
But personally I like more the user ''profile'' on the left than on the right side of the post.

I totally agree
it's a detail, but I think it's very important :mrgreen:

but i'm very happy of this update !
thanks for it !
Mes stats

Monde: 34
France :flag-fr: : 1
Local (Bordeaux): 1

Notes: 882 825
Hits: 1436
Klazu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Klazu »

Looks very confusing. The most disturbing thing is that so many things have changed their place on the screen from left to right.
Living away from Euro zone in the beautiful Vancouver, Canada since January 2012. Experiences and stories of living in here can be found in here (in Finnish).
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

androl wrote: why do we need this "upgrade"?
Compare the two versions and you will see. Subforums and moving posts from one thread to the other are among the things that are possible now but were not before. Security might also be updated. All in all stuff that users complained about, but users always complain obviously, no matter what you do. :roll:
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi »

I prefer the old Subsilver2 as well. Does anyone know how to hide that annoying Image/Image status bar from user profile windows?

I mean this one:
Last edited by Poutsi on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Ralf wrote:Nice update :)
I agree with this: Now we have a large gap between the profie and te message itself.

I also notice, that messages I read yesterday are still marked as "New Post".

Is it a mistake? Or will it happen once (just now) because it took some time to the new update (and was looked for the posts after the day before yesterday)?

I do like the possibillity to use more colours (I know it was already possible to use these codes, but you couldn't "click" them: you had to know the meaning of the codes).
Allthough the "old" codes (like "") stil work, you can't click them anymore (the colours are in the palette, but you can't see the name anymore).
I think it would be nice if you can choose them seperately.

Further I would like to have changed something else too (more important as the colors :wink: ):
When I click on a link in a post, it used to open it in a new Window.
But from the new forum it use the same window, so with clicking you leave the forum :( .
Is it possible to change it back into "opening a new window"?
Last edited by eddydevries on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing

Return to “Forum feedback”