phpBB3

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: phpBB3

Post by eddydevries »

I now also notice, the size of the text in the signatures are smaller as in the old forum.

I can't read, for example, the signature of avij anymore (it's too smal :wink: ).
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

androl wrote:
rakoon wrote:The people who dislikes de new visual style can change it in "User control panel" --> "Board preferences" --> "My board style" and change it to "Subsilver2".
I prefer the old style and with that option its quite similar, the only change is that you have some new options, but the visual style its the same.
thank you very much, now it looks nearly like before :D
I changed to "subsilver2" !

Indeed, much better ! :D
Crossmaster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Crossmaster »

Phaseolus wrote: I changed to "subsilver2" !
Indeed, much better ! :D
me too
Doi merg prin pădure. Unul găseşte 100 de lei altul nu...

Mein Profil, meine NIG-Statistiken.
Craco
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by Craco »

eddydevries wrote:I now also notice, the size of the text in the signatures are smaller as in the old forum.

I can't read, for example, the signature of avij anymore (it's too smal :wink: ).
Hi Eddy,

In your right upper corner you can find an "A" with a down and up arrow. If you click on this, it changes the text-size.

If any issues, just let me know.

Greetzz,
Craco
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Craco wrote:
eddydevries wrote:I now also notice, the size of the text in the signatures are smaller as in the old forum.

Hi Eddy,

In your right upper corner you can find an "A" with a down and up arrow. If you click on this, it changes the text-size.

If any issues, just let me know.

Greetzz,
Craco
It changes all text-sizes but those in his signature.
I think avij uses the "[size=...] in his signature and I think this won't be effected by the vA^ button.

So I think avij has to change the size in his signature.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

Craco
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by Craco »

eddydevries wrote: It changes all text-sizes but those in his signature.
I think avij uses the "[size=...] in his signature and I think this won't be effected by the vA^ button.

So I think avij has to change the size in his signature.
He is using the size parameter, but I guess he did set it for some reason to 10 instead of the original value 84 (which it still is on the test-forum).

Greetzz,
Craco
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi »

I think it'd be great to set Subsilver2 as default board style.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
joergb30
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by joergb30 »

Last edited by joergb30 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

Poutsi wrote:
rakoon wrote:The people who dislikes de new visual style can change it in "User control panel" --> "Board preferences" --> "My board style" and change it to "Subsilver2".
I prefer the old style and with that option its quite similar, the only change is that you have some new options, but the visual style its the same.
I prefer the old Subsilver2 as well. Does anyone know how to hide that annoying Image/Image status bar from user profile windows?

I mean this one:
You can change this settings by clicking "User Control Panel" (left if you use "prosilver", right if you changed it to "Subsilver2"). If you choose "Board Preferences" than, the fourth question is: "Hide my online status:"
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL

Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Petri6 »

eddydevries wrote: Further I would like to have changed something else too (more important as the colors :wink: ):
When I click on a link in a post, it used to open it in a new Window.
But from the new forum it use the same window, so with clicking you leave the forum :( .
Is it possible to change it back into "opening a new window"?
I would like to second this motion.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

I second this motion, too

and i second the idea of having subsilver2 by default as this will help not disturbing too much the users in this change.

8)
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Poutsi »

eddydevries wrote: You can change this settings by clicking "User Control Panel" (left if you use "prosilver", right if you changed it to "Subsilver2"). If you choose "Board Preferences" than, the fourth question is: "Hide my online status:"
It's not the same thing, I already have my online status hidden. It just makes me to appear always offline.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

Nice change.

Starting with the criticism: I believe it's a bit harder to go back to forum index (the link is smaller) and, of course, we need more forum languages. This is probably the thing that disappointed me the most about this update. :(

Now for the good bits:

The new control panels - more powerful and much better organized. Probably this option was available before but I just never bothered to check it out. Now it's nice to see some posts like this:
Forum software wrote:This post was made by [classified] who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
And about the new look: to be quite honest, when i read this thread and realized the old look was still available, I immediately changed it back. Humans are creatures of habit :)

"Hm... what does this 'save' button here do?"...
(2m afterwards) "Look, mama, I can save drafts!" :P
Tracking (again) Image
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

I can't update my statistics anymore on the forum, because the message is too long! Forum now allows maximum of 60.000 (apparently), but my statistics are (again apparently) 115.000-something characters.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Well, the user information being on the right hand side is not only a matter of getting used to. A western eye looks for information first in the left hand side of a screen/paper/whatever.
While reading the text here I noticed I wasn't reading posts written by people. Instead I was reading posts written on a forum.
When the avatar (and for those to whom nicknames are more important, also they) is located in the right hand side of the screen, there is less connection to /who/ has written the post. When a forum reader doesn't notice who has written a post, the community has a danger of detoriating. Also many important/useful controls have been located to the right hand side of the screen. This causes people to notice them less likely, which isn't a very good thing. If I wanted to discourage a user from using certain functionality, I would locate it in the right hand side of the screen.

Albeit the new forum software indeed brings us important new funtionality and usability, the new forum outlook does not bring any new usability. Instead, it removes usability, at least in two manners:
1) it is using greater contrast differences than the previous one and also more animation. This disturbs reading the actual content, making the reading experience feel heavier.
2) it has hidden many very important objects in the part of the screen that easily remains unnoticed.

I would therefore propose setting Subsilver2 as the default forum style, letting the users choose Prosilver if they really want. Currently many people will not know there is also a more usable style available if you know where to click. Because of the usability issues, the current style is less inviting for new users, which will reduce our potential new userbase.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

Return to “Forum feedback”